Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

10 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

I'm fighting Amaria and this happens:

I've paralyzed her Ludicolo and am fighting with my Serperior, both of which are the same level, 86 and it outspeeds my mon and KOs it. My Serperior is fully EV trained, IV bred and has a Timid Nature to boot. Even with the Swift Swim ability activated, it should by no means be able to outspeed my ace since I've paralyzed it.

Does anybody have an explanation to this?

Doesn't seem to have a scarf either since it's able to switch movesets as well.

Did you take into account how the field halves speed of pokémon that are grounded, not water-type, and don't have swift-swim or similar habilities?

Did you take into account how the field halves speed of pokémon that are grounded, not water-type, and don't have swift-swim or similar habilities?

Good lord the amount of things I have to consider is giving me a headache...

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, RedAlert said:

Good lord the amount of things I have to consider is giving me a headache...

Thanks.

Water battles are a pain if your team is not water-based, but the good thing is that electric-attacks get a boost, so... For Amaria, I got to transform it in poison water, which hasn't got that effect, I think.

My strategy for Amaria, if it can even be called one, was to use a Shedinja and a Dry Skin Heliolisk (This was in singles). Shedinja was only able to be killed by Wishiwashi, so when it came in I switched to Heliolisk, which killed it with Parabolic charge. I wouldn’t recommend this ‘strategy’ unless you really wanted to get on with the story, as it’s really cheap.

• Like 1

I did it!

Strategy:

1. Starmie - Lead with Bronzong - Light Screen, switch to Serperior, Leaf Storm + Giga Drain - KO

2. Ludicolo - Switch to Jellicent - Toxic, Hex, Recover, Hex, Ultra Potion Bronzong (I hated doing this 😞)

3. Swampert - Switch back to Serperior, barely tanks a Dive and Giga Drain - KO

4. Wishiwashi - switch to Bronzong, Light Screen, switch to Umbreon, Wish + Baton Pass to Serperior - Leaf Storm - KO

5. Kingra - Switch to Manectric (holding an Assault Vest) who tanked a Devastating Drake with 1/2 HP, Thunders the fuck out of that Kingdra (underwater field helped)

6. Lapras - Switch back to Bronzong, Light Screen again who faints and switch back to Serperior - final Leaf Storm and Giga Drain takes it out

Second try, after I made the mistake of trying to take on the Ludicolo with Serperior. Just doesn't happen xD

Now to attempt the doubles version, probably going to be a bigger pain in the ass

Water battles are a pain if your team is not water-based, but the good thing is that electric-attacks get a boost, so... For Amaria, I got to transform it in poison water, which hasn't got that effect, I think.

It was really annoying since all of her mons were both bulky AND fast - every single one of them was capable of outspeeding my fastest Pokemon, Wishiwashi included

• Veterans

The Rotom-Wash was what made her -in my opinion- the easiest boss in the game.

People were sweeping her with Magcargo's because of how easy to set up on it was, I personally swept her with no effort with Excadrill first attempt without even knowing her team. Honestly the Starmie is barely any better lol...

• Veterans
1 hour ago, RedAlert said:

The Rotom-Wash is still on her team in E18, although only in doubles, if I recollect. And you don't really get a chance to set up much in doubles, do you? 😛 Unless you have a baitmon

Hi Empoleon solo'd her entire team in doubles nearly 20 levels under uwu.

• 2 weeks later...

New Player, very first run of Reborn, currently at Gym Number 4, They're all Level 35 but I still lose.
Gym Leader Shelley

Current Team

Spoiler

Meowstic (Level 35)
Ability: Keen Eye
Nature: Relaxed
Move 1: Fake Out
Move 2: Confusion
Move 3: PsyShock
Move 4: PsyBeam

Pansear (Level 35)
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Bold
Move 1: Flame Burst
Move 2: Incinerate
Move 3: Acrobatics
Move 4: Fire Blast

Dodrio (Level 35)

Ability: Run Away
Nature: Timid

Move 1: Uproar
Move 2:  Tri Attack
Move 3: Pluck

Move 4: Agility

Pidgeotto (Level 35)

Nature: Rash

Move 1: Quick Attack

Move 2: Gust

Move 3: Fether Dance

Fearow (Level 35)

Nature: Quirky

Move 1: Aerial Ace
Move 2: Focus Energy
Move 3: Assurance

TalonFlame (Level 35)
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Timid
Move 1: Peck

Move 2: Ember

Move 3: Razor Wind

Move 4: Roost

Other Pokemon

Spoiler

Swampert (Level 36)
Tynamo (Level 35)

Kricketune (Level 35)

Noibat (Level 35)

Swalot (Level 35)

Beedrill (Level 17)

Poochyena (Level 12)

Makuhita (Level 12)

Wurmple (Level 6)

Budew (Level 5)

Zigzagoon (Level 5)

Current Items on hand:

Spoiler

Telluric Seed (2)

Protective Pads (1)

X Attack (1)

X Speed (1)

@LolisRcomfy where exactly are you having trouble with her fight; a particular of her mons that's giving you a hard time?

Fake Out Illumise then Flame Burst to set the Field on fire is the recommended strategy. If you want another Fire type you can get a Growlithe from Beryl once you found all the police officers. Nature Power on a Burning Field turns into Flamethrower, so that's a great option on anyone who can learn it. Sturdy Geodude/Graveller from below the Grand Staircase can help out with Stealth Rocks.

1 hour ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

@LolisRcomfy where exactly are you having trouble with her fight; a particular of her mons that's giving you a hard time?

Fake Out Illumise then Flame Burst to set the Field on fire is the recommended strategy. If you want another Fire type you can get a Growlithe from Beryl once you found all the police officers. Nature Power on a Burning Field turns into Flamethrower, so that's a great option on anyone who can learn it. Sturdy Geodude/Graveller from below the Grand Staircase can help out with Stealth Rocks.

I am using the pinned walkthrough in "on the hunt" Forum Tab to help me play, so that's how I found out about  the Fake Out then Fire Burst thing

Yanmega using Nature Power and AirCUtter do 1-2 hit knockouts and Anorith spamming Rock Slide to 1 shot my Fling types. Araquanid using Rain Dance also makes it become instant bad news too. it says most of them are weak to FLying, Rock, and Fire but seems like I can't survive long cause only 1-2 of my Pokemon can go first against them. Araquanid is usually as far as I can get before getting beat.

12 hours ago, LolisRcomfy said:

I am using the pinned walkthrough in "on the hunt" Forum Tab to help me play, so that's how I found out about  the Fake Out then Fire Burst thing

Yanmega using Nature Power and AirCUtter do 1-2 hit knockouts and Anorith spamming Rock Slide to 1 shot my Fling types. Araquanid using Rain Dance also makes it become instant bad news too. it says most of them are weak to FLying, Rock, and Fire but seems like I can't survive long cause only 1-2 of my Pokemon can go first against them. Araquanid is usually as far as I can get before getting beat.

You probably need to fix your Pokémons' movesets, because right now they kind of suck. For instance there's absolutely no reason to keep Confusion around when Psybeam is a straight upgrade to that. Is your Meowstic male or female? If it's female teach it Charge Beam and change its ability to Competitive if you can; if it's male teach it Light Screen and Reflect and change its aility to Prankster. Next, your Pansear has three Fire attacks, switch the weakest one out for something else, unless you absolutely need it to set the Field on fire. You'll want at most two attacks of the same time in your movesets and even then only if they serve different purposes.
Pidgeotto and talonflame are still using the most basic moves of their types - Quick Attack is fine, but stuff like Gust or Ember isn't gonna cut it at this point. Switch them out if you can't give them any better moves right now. Your Swampert should have learned Rock Slide some time around Corey, did you keep that? Swampert is a great tank and its only weakness is Grass which Shelly has only covered with Masquerain and Yanmega.
In case you din't know: a "timid" nature means that the Pokémon has a reduced Attack stat and you've got that one two physical attackers. In the future you should look out that your Pokémon at least don't have Natures that reduce their key stats.

Anorith is very slow when it's not raining, so if you focus it the turn it comes out your birds should be save from it.

Araquanid is very slow as well, so focus it once it shows up, especially if you want to rely on the burning Field. A big part of its power comes from its ability which reduces the damage from Fire attacks and doubles the power of its Water attacks; Gastro Acid, Skill Swap and the like can be used to get rid of that ability or you could focus it with your strongest Rock and Flying attacks.

I'm convinced the fight should be doable if you change your movesets and rethink your strategy based on those new movesets, but if you want to or think you have to train some new Pokémon here are my recommendations:

Growlithe is available from the Beryl Ward police office once you found all the missing officers. It comes with a random Egg Move, I recommend Close Combat for an offensive set or Morning Sun for a bulky set.

Numel shows up at the Peridot train station under rainy weather. It learns a number of good moves, including Rock Slide, fairly early and Camerupt's Hidden ability reduces the damage taken from super effective attacks. It's only really worth it if make sure you get that Ability though, since it's so slow that it absolutely will eat attacks before it gets to do something.
Onix is a gift from a hiker in Peridot Ward, if you help him find a house. It's quite fast for a Rock type and learns Rock Slide; it also has some utility with Sturdy, Stealth Rock and Rock tomb.

Lastly, make sure to search everyhwere for hidden items. Suspicious rocks, corners and the like will often yield usefull items like Gems and Seeds, as well as Shards to trade in with the move tutors later on.

Yeah uh I don't know where to put this but I've gotten so tired of trying to beat Radomus that I made a entire account here for help. Could I get advice on what pokemon, what swaps, what items to give/use and more. My normal team is 

Delphox: Level: 58 Ability: Magician Item: Charcoal Moves: Flamethrower, Light Screen, Psyshock, Mystic Fire

Lumineon: Level: 56 Item: Wave Incense. Ability: Storm Drain Moves: Water Pulse, U-Turn, Aqua Ring, Attract

Zebstrika: Level: 53 Ability: Lightning Rod Item: Lax Incense Moves: Discharge, Wild Charge,  Shock Wave, Thunder Wave

Purugly: Level: 53  Ability: Defiant Level: Item: Silk Scarf Moves: Shadow Claw, Attract, Charm, Body Slam

Noivern: Level: 57 Ability: Frisk Item: None Moves: Tailwind, Roost, Air Slash, Air Cutter

Mawile: Level: 55 Ability: Sheer Force Item: Quick Claw Moves: Iron Head, Sucker Punch, Crunch, Stockpile

I trained up a Ampharos, Camerupt, and Drapion and replaced Purugly, Zebstrika, and Lumineon those 3 pokemon know

Drapion: Level: 53 Item: None Ability: Sniper Moves: Crunch, Fell Stinger, Night Slash, and Toxic Spikes

Ampharos: Level 53  Ability: Static, Item: None Moves: Discharge, Thunder Wave, Signal Beam, and Power Gem

Camerupt Level 53, Ability: Anger Point Item: None Moves: Eruption, Earthquake, Earth Power, and Nature Power(that was mainly for serras gym)

Shade, 5th Badge, Ghost Gym. I have 2 of the recommended Pokemon for the Gym but can't beat it.  The Gengar seems to have a speed higher then 90 but less than 115 so only my Dodrio can seem to go first against it.

Team

Spoiler

Drifblim (Level 40)-Moves: Stockpile, Swallow, Spit Up, Shadow Ball

Meowstic (evel 40)-Moves: Fake Out, Psychic, Psyshock, Psybeam

Dodrio (Level 40)-Moves: Pluck, Uproar, Swords Dance, Agility

Emolga (Level 40)-Moves: Nuzzle, Electro Ball, Shock Wave, Acrobatics

Toxicroak (Level 40)-Moves: Venoshock, Mud Bomb, Sucker Punch, Drain Punch

PumpKaboo (Level 40)-Moves: Shadow Ball, Leech Seed, Shadow Sneak, Bullet Seed

Pokemon in PC

Spoiler

Mightyena (Level 40)- Moves: Embargo, Crunch, Scary Face, Bite

(Level 40)- Linoone, Persian,TalonFlame, Golem, Eelektrik, Fearow, Swampert, Haruyama.

assorted non-Level 40s also.

7 minutes ago, LolisRcomfy said:

Shade, 5th Badge, Ghost Gym. I have 2 of the recommended Pokemon for the Gym but can't beat it.  The Gengar seems to have a speed higher then 90 but less than 115 so only my Dodrio can seem to go first against it.

Team

Hide contents

Pokemon in PC

Hide contents

(Level 40)- Linoone, Persian,TalonFlame, Golem, Eelektrik, Fearow, Swampert, Haruyama.

Use Mightyena for the battle. The more dark types the better. One tip: capture Mareep in the Jasper Ward. Ampharos will be highly helpful not only to Shade but in every battle that will come along. 

4 hours ago, Storm7urk said:

Yeah uh I don't know where to put this but I've gotten so tired of trying to beat Radomus that I made a entire account here for help. Could I get advice on what pokemon, what swaps, what items to give/use and more. My normal team is 

Delphox: Level: 58 Ability: Magician Item: Charcoal Moves: Flamethrower, Light Screen, Psyshock, Mystic Fire

Lumineon: Level: 56 Item: Wave Incense. Ability: Storm Drain Moves: Water Pulse, U-Turn, Aqua Ring, Attract

Zebstrika: Level: 53 Ability: Lightning Rod Item: Lax Incense Moves: Discharge, Wild Charge,  Shock Wave, Thunder Wave

Purugly: Level: 53  Ability: Defiant Level: Item: Silk Scarf Moves: Shadow Claw, Attract, Charm, Body Slam

Noivern: Level: 57 Ability: Frisk Item: None Moves: Tailwind, Roost, Air Slash, Air Cutter

Mawile: Level: 55 Ability: Sheer Force Item: Quick Claw Moves: Iron Head, Sucker Punch, Crunch, Stockpile

I trained up a Ampharos, Camerupt, and Drapion and replaced Purugly, Zebstrika, and Lumineon those 3 pokemon know

Drapion: Level: 53 Item: None Ability: Sniper Moves: Crunch, Fell Stinger, Night Slash, and Toxic Spikes

Ampharos: Level 53  Ability: Static, Item: None Moves: Discharge, Thunder Wave, Signal Beam, and Power Gem

Camerupt Level 53, Ability: Anger Point Item: None Moves: Eruption, Earthquake, Earth Power, and Nature Power(that was mainly for serras gym)

A lot of your Pokémon have multiple moves of the same type, there's really only any point in that if the moves do something significantly different. Some of them are also missing stab moves of their second types. try to keep your movesets diverse, so you've got more options for coverage.

Some more details on how his team is giving you trouble would make iv easier to help you, but in general: his team uses trick Room and his setters are Reuniclus and Slowking. Either focus or ignore them, depending on if fighting under trick Room is better or worse for your team. Your Camerupt could use trick Room to fire off full-powered Eruptions for example; use a Fire Gem for a one-time nuke or a Metronome and keep Camerupt's health up to spam increasingly powerful Eruptions. Both ivems should be available at the Department Store in Obsidia, look for more Stickers if they aren't.
Since your Drapion's ability is Sniper an item that increases crit rate would work well with Night Slash's own increased crit rate. Camerupt's Anger Point is a bad ability, switch it to Solid Rock if you can.

3 hours ago, LolisRcomfy said:

Team

Reveal hidden contents

Pokemon in PC

Hide contents

A Moxie-Mightyena with Sucker Punch should be able to take out several of his Pokémon, maybe even all except Mimikyu. Sucker Punch in general should handily deal with Gengar. Alternatively a Sturdy Geodude/Graveler with Bulldoze could slow it down for your other Pokémon to take it out. 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:08 PM, LolisRcomfy said:

Team

Reveal hidden contents

Pokemon in PC

Reveal hidden contents

Use your golem and your mightyena (maybe even swampert)

Golem can hit gengar really hard or at least slow him down with bulldoze so mightyena can kill him. Hes useful agaisnt doublade and rotom as well, so maybe buy some cotton candy to revive him(?)

Same goes for swampert

I usually use sticky web support so mightyena can bite the hell out of him (sewaddle learns it at early lvl 30's, dont evolve it until then)

With moxie your mightyena will probably destroy him until he sents out mimikyu

If he goes for swords dance, you will probably 2 shot him even without sucker punch cause of -1 speed from webs

If he kills mightyena, just go for any mon that can handle him without any buffs, like toxicroak

If you dont want to use web, go for a team that can take some hits, set X-items and try to get his mimikyu out asap

• 1 month later...

I need help vs Titania, Excadrill and Aegislash are giving me the most troubles and the field effect really backfires against me.
Team:
Arcanine lvl 80 @ Charcoal 
Intimidate
Relaxed Nature
Moves: 
-Heat Wave
-Extreme Speed
-Close Combat
-Rock Smash
Primarina lvl 82 @ Wave Incense
Naive Nature
Liquid Voice
Moves:
Surf
Hyper Voice
Icy Wind
Moonblast
Alolan-Ninetales lvl 82 @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
Snow Warning
Moves:
Ice Beam
Dazzling Gleam
Aurora Veil
Nasty Plot
Metagross lvl 82
Gentle Nature
Clear Body
Moves: 
Zen Headbutt
Brick Break
Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Hydreigon lvl 82 @ Dragon Fang
Dark Pulse

Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower 
Roost
Leafeon lvl 80 @ Scope Lens
Bite
Swords Dance

Synthesis
Leaf Blade

1 hour ago, Hylia Aria said:

I need help vs Titania, Excadrill and Aegislash are giving me the most troubles and the field effect really backfires against me.
Team:
Intimidate
Relaxed Nature
Moves: 
-Heat Wave
-Extreme Speed
-Close Combat
-Rock Smash
Naive Nature
Liquid Voice
Moves:
Surf
Hyper Voice
Icy Wind
Moonblast
Timid Nature
Snow Warning
Moves:
Ice Beam
Dazzling Gleam
Aurora Veil
Nasty Plot
Metagross lvl 82
Gentle Nature
Clear Body
Moves: 
Zen Headbutt
Brick Break
Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Dark Pulse

Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower 
Roost
Bite
Swords Dance

Synthesis
Leaf Blade

Given the field, fighting or ground type moves will be the way to go. I actually caught one excadrill in the desert just to sweep half her team with maxed stats lol (I'll link the video in a spoiler, in case you want to resort to fighting fire with fire haha). Another good advice would be to exploit the seeds- since Tania uses a lot of physical attacks, the King Shield summoned by the seed will protect you and decrease her mons' attack. Also, unrelated but lovely profile pic you have there!

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Hylia Aria said:

Team:
Intimidate
Relaxed Nature
Moves: 
-Heat Wave
-Extreme Speed
-Close Combat
-Rock Smash
Naive Nature
Liquid Voice
Moves:
Surf
Hyper Voice
Icy Wind
Moonblast
Timid Nature
Snow Warning
Moves:
Ice Beam
Dazzling Gleam
Aurora Veil
Nasty Plot
Metagross lvl 82
Gentle Nature
Clear Body
Moves: 
Zen Headbutt
Brick Break
Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Dark Pulse

Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower 
Roost
Bite
Swords Dance

Synthesis
Leaf Blade

Another aegislash can destroy tania! 

Using Protect on your mons can be helpful too (you can get the TM betting with an old guy at peridot, where once was the blacksteam factory)

Abusing her seed and mach punching the sandslash can be decisive

Steel means power. If you are finding trouble to fight around her type, try hitting hard against the secondary types!

Dragon poké will deal double damage on dragon stabs! Beware of steel super ef against dragon tho. Fire types wont be as useful, since they will do dragon type damage too, dealing essentially 1x against steel, besides the hail on her field.

What you can do is starting with Metagross, brick breaking sandy and his aurora veil.

You should give the field seed a try, for real, it is OP

Edited by Yahen

2 hours ago, Yahen said:

Another aegislash can destroy tania! 

Using Protect on your mons can be helpful too (you can get the TM betting with an old guy at peridot, where once was the blacksteam factory)

Abusing her seed and mach punching the sandslash can be decisive

Steel means power. If you are finding trouble to fight around her type, try hitting hard against the secondary types!

Dragon poké will deal double damage on dragon stabs! Beware of steel super ef against dragon tho. Fire types wont be as useful, since they will do dragon type damage too, dealing essentially 1x against steel, besides the hail on her field.

What you can do is starting with Metagross, brick breaking sandy and his aurora veil.

You should give the field seed a try, for real, it is OP

I did exactly that, the problem is that Excadrill comes in afterwards and nukes something, he too powerful