Official Gym Leader Help Thread

Deleted User

Absolutely stuck on Serra right now. My first time playing through this game, I wrecked her with my Magneton's Flash Cannon, but I'd like to avoid using the exact same strategy this time if possible.

My team:

(In Party)

Camerupt - Level 48

Timid nature

Anger Point

-Lava Plume

-Earthquake

-Rock Smash

-Rock Slide

Crawdaunt - Level 47

Naive nature

Adaptability

-Razor Shell

-Swords Dance

-Knock Off

-Crunch

Ampharos - Level 50

Modest nature

Plus

-Discharge

-Power Gem

-Charge

-Electric Terrain

Gardevoir - Level 47

Brave nature

Telepathy

-Calm Mind

-Magical Leaf

-Draining Kiss

-Psychic

Venusaur - Level 46

Calm nature

Overgrow

-Rock Smash (yeah I know two rock smashers x_x Gotta replace that)

-Synthesis

-Sleep Powder

-Petal Dance

Mamoswine - Level 47

Relaxed nature

Oblivious

-Earthquake

-Thrash

-Ice Shard

-Ancientpower

(In PC)

Lampent - Level 48

Naughty nature

Flame Body

-Flame Burst

-Hex

-Confuse Ray

-Will-O-Wisp

Dodrio - Level 46

Jolly nature

Run Away

-Agility

-Fury Attack

-Pursuit

-Drill Peck

And I also have a level 54 gigalith lying around that I could common candy down if I thought it'd be at all useful (obtained from a wonder trade) but I don't think it'll help me here.

Anyone have any advice?

@Buttulon, you could try to use Mamoswine to destroy her field with earthquake at the beginning. But you'll lose some reputation points there with Serra.
Otherwise, i'd suggest swapping Venusaur for Gigalith. Gigalith is rock and thus has an advantage on ice, while Venasaur is weak to it.
Instead of using mamoswine, you could also choose to level up that lampent. Fire is also great against ice, and lampent is a pretty fast guy.
I don't know if this is the best strategy, but you could also use Ampharos to just change the field with electric terrain and make sure Serra isn't going to use her field against you.
I suggest to keep using Camerupt because he has a good advantage with Lava Plume.
And btw, don't you have a fighting type? They can be pretty useful too.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, guidy said:

@Buttulon, you could try to use Mamoswine to destroy her field with earthquake at the beginning. But you'll lose some reputation points there with Serra.
Otherwise, i'd suggest swapping Venusaur for Gigalith. Gigalith is rock and thus has an advantage on ice, while Venasaur is weak to it.
Instead of using mamoswine, you could also choose to level up that lampent. Fire is also great against ice, and lampent is a pretty fast guy.
I don't know if this is the best strategy, but you could also use Ampharos to just change the field with electric terrain and make sure Serra isn't going to use her field against you.
I suggest to keep using Camerupt because he has a good advantage with Lava Plume.
And btw, don't you have a fighting type? They can be pretty useful too.

I'll try replacing Venusaur with Gigalith.

I haven't really found a fighting type I'd like to get. But... would a Medicham be a good pick? I think I might be able to get one at this point in the game.

2 minutes ago, Buttulon said:

I'll try replacing Venusaur with Gigalith.

I haven't really found a fighting type I'd like to get. But... would a Medicham be a good pick? I think I might be able to get one at this point in the game.

Medicham can be great if you can land High Jump Kicks. Medicham can kick Cryogonal and Vanilluxe out of the game easily if those hits land (perhaps even Glaceon if you're lucky). But be aware of her field, since Serra uses it to raise her evasiveness/reduce your evasiveness. Fighting moves are also great against Aurorus, because of the 4x effective. 
If your Gigalith has stealth rock, then use this in the beginning of the battle. Since those rocks will hurt Serra pokemon decent.

13 minutes ago, guidy said:

Medicham can be great if you can land High Jump Kicks. Medicham can kick Cryogonal and Vanilluxe out of the game easily if those hits land (perhaps even Glaceon if you're lucky). But be aware of her field, since Serra uses it to raise her evasiveness/reduce your evasiveness. Fighting moves are also great against Aurorus, because of the 4x effective. 
If your Gigalith has stealth rock, then use this in the beginning of the battle. Since those rocks will hurt Serra pokemon decent.

I'll definitely try that. I just got myself a Meditite from a girl at Apophyll Academy, and it has Bullet Punch, so hopefully that'll be a big help once I level it up! And I'll definitely use that Stealth Rock.

If you have any spare ability capsules, you can make the fight a fair bit easier by changing gardevoir's ability to trace (get the snow cloak ability and benefit from the field effects yourself) and mamoswine to snow cloak (or thick fat for ice resistance). Gigalith should also have snadstorm in addition to stealth rock (replace venusaur for this fight) to negate the hail aurorus will set up.

I'd also teach camperupt nature power which is pretty brutal on serra's field ( a heavily boosted mirror shot) Also teach it to venusaur if you wish to keep it for this match up.

Stuck Beating the first gym, lmao already.

Pansear (Ignis)

LV. 16

Blaze

Hardy

-Incinerate

-Yawn

-Lick

-Fury Swipes

Servine (Perseus)

LV.18

Contrary

Docile

-Tackle

-Leaf Tornado

-Vine Whip

-Wrap

Purrloin (Guv'nor)

Lv.14

Limber

Lax

-Sand Attack

-Growl

-Fury Swipes

-Assist

Wingull (Hyde)

LV.13

Rain Dish

Modest

-Supersonic

-Water Gun

-Wing Attack

-Growl

Zigzagoon (Anita)

LV.5

Really is just there, only tackle and growl

Edited by AzureSkies
updated moveset

Does it need luck to beat Charlotte?

One time her Typhlosion destroys my whole team, other time I defeat all of her mons except Ninetale and Delphox ...

How do you show her who the boss is?

The Rain Dance or Trick Room method didn't bring anything

Team:

All around lvl. 68

- Charizard

Flamethrower, fire pledge, Wing attack, Dragon Rage

- Noivern

Air Slash, Roost, Bite, Hurricane

- Gastrodon:

Surf, Mud Bomb, Body slam, Dive

- Reuniclus 

Psyshock, Future Sight , Trick Room, Psychic

- Drapion:

Crunch, Cross Poison, Hone Claws, Rain Dance

- Magnezone:

Flash Cannon, Metal Sound, Zap Cannon, Discharge

Box:

- Primeape

- Graveler

- Dusclops

- Nidoqueen

- Swalot

Edited by HellBoyOnEarth

I've tried the Rain Dance strategy with her on my Water Mono before and it did work. I just simply spammed water types on her mons.

I also tried the Fire vs Fire strategy with her on my second run. I used my Volcarona and attempted to sweep using Quiver Dance + Heat Wave, and it worked, but it did take luck as Rotom-Heat and other mons tried to destroy it before it could successfully sweep.

Rain Dance  works a little bit, but not so much as I expected...

Maybe I will look later for 1-2 new water Mons which could help me...

BNut the problem is the Solar Beams and Giga Drains from her...

I tried Fire vs Fire too but Charizard didn't have any chance...

I remember now, that I have a Rhydon on my box :D

Maybe I Earthquake her away with him and Golem :D

Edited by HellBoyOnEarth

I can't seem to win against Ciel, i can sometimes get to altair but that's about it.

Manectric lvl 74, Calm nature, Lightning rod, and Wide Lens

Moves: Discharge, Thunder, Ice Fang, Flamethrower

Toxicroak lvl 75, Lax Nature, Poison Touch, and Big Root

Moves : Drain Punch, Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, Swagger

Alakazam lvl 75, Bashful nature, Magic Guard, Odd Incense

Moves: Psychic, Teleport, Psycho cut, Future Sight

Pangoro lvl 75, Mild nature, Iron Fist, Fist Plate

moves: Hammer Arm, Cut, Crunch, Low Sweep

Swampert lvl 75,Jolly nature, Damp, Hard Stone

Moves: Earthquake, Surf, Waterfall, Rock Fall

Floatzel, lvl 75, Relaxed nature, water veil, Nevermeltice

moves: Ice Fang, Aqua tail, surf,waterfall 

Box : Houndoom lvl 75 (Flamethrower, foul play, crunch, inferno)

EDIT: I was doing the lucario event when i lucked out and found a lvl 70 Beartic with which i managed to win

Edited by Rex Arnel

• 3 weeks later...

gettin my ass Whuppt by samson on my replay because i forgot to grind before leaving and now i just have hellclowns. in addition to any other recommendations can i get an estimate for what level i should have each mon at

Team:

• Naive Lv. 61 Excadrill with Mold Breaker and an earth plate, Moves: Earthquake, Metal Claw, Rock Slide, Sword's Dance
  • Impish Lv. 58 Pelipper with Keen Eye and a wave incense, Moves: Air cutter, Hydro pump, water pulse, hurricane
  • Docile Lv. 60 Seprerior with Contrary, Moves: Leaf storm, giga drain, leech seed, leaf tornado
  • Adamant Lv. 60 Ampharos with Static, moves: Power gem, discharge, thunder wave, confuse ray
  • Lonely Lv. 63 Empoleon with Torrent, moves: Hydro pump, drill peck, icy wind, brine
  • Bold Lv. 59 Gardevoir with Telepathy, moves: Psychic, Draining kiss, Hypnosis, and Calm mind

Plus relevants in the box being:

• Hardy Lv. 60 Galvantula with Compoundeyes, Moves: Discharge, Bug Buzz, Slash, Sucker Punch
  • Gentle Lv. 37 Litwick with Flash fire, Moves: Will-o-wisp, Flame Burst, irrelevant
  • Naughty Lv. 58 Toxicroak with Dry skin, moves: Poison jab, drain punch, sucker punch, rock smash
  • Naughty Lv. 51 Kricketune with Technician, moves: X-scissor, night slash, perish song, sticky web 

Don't mind grinding anybody

I have 11 rare candies and one ability capsule plus enough ultra potions to last a life time and 30 cotton candies. Assisteroonie

EDIT: nvm a bit of grinding (a lot of grinding, still underleveled tho) and some resetting at certain RNG-moments and the fucko went down

Edited by Makkilemore

• 2 weeks later...

WTF is wrong with Terra's Garchomp?....

I can't defeat it...

I tried Fairy, Grass, Water,... but this stupid thing didn't get so much damage...

Where can I find a good Ice type move? I only have Frost Breath...

I don't have a good dragon Mon which can show him who the boss is...

Please help me....

33 minutes ago, HellBoyOnEarth said:

WTF is wrong with Terra's Garchomp?....

I can't defeat it...

I tried Fairy, Grass, Water,... but this stupid thing didn't get so much damage...

Where can I find a good Ice type move? I only have Frost Breath...

I don't have a good dragon Mon which can show him who the boss is...

Please help me....

In canon games, Garchomp takes neutral damage from Water and Grass due to its Dragon Typing. In the Glitch Field, it gets an additional neutrality due to Fairy Type being converted to Normal Type (due to it not existing in Gen1). This makes it clear that it doesn't have much trouble dealing with these types.

That leaves Dragon and Ice as its weaknesses, although Ice is the better choice obviously. You can choose to train many of the Ice Type mons in the Ametrine area. Just check there for a good 'mon. If that mon can't bear any of Garchomp's moves, you may choose to use a Focus Sash if you have one. Meanwhile, I think Frost Breath works; sure it has lower accuracy, but it has a hit crit chance. A tip: buy cotton candies (revives) to help you with her battle or ultra potions.

You can find plenty of Ice-types in Ametrine Mountain, including Snorunt (Glalie and Froslass), Spheal (Walrein), Swinub (Mamoswine) and Cryogonal. A sufficiently powerful Ice-type with Frost Breath can flatout one-shot Terra's Garchomp. I generally use Glaceon for this purpose, but you're past the point where you have access to the Icy Rock, so you should use one of the ones listed.

Of those, I'd say the best to use is Walrein simply because of it's natural bulk.

@Monsieur Divergent

In canon games, Garchomp takes neutral damage from Water and Grass due to its Dragon Typing. In the Glitch Field, it gets an additional neutrality due to Fairy Type being converted to Normal Type (due to it not existing in Gen1). This makes it clear that it doesn't have much trouble dealing with these types.

Ups haha, I totally forgot, that in the Glitch Field the Fairy types are converted into normal types^^

Meanwhile, I think Frost Breath works; sure it has lower accuracy, but it has a hit crit chance.

Ok. I will try it with Frost Breath

A tip: buy cotton candies (revives) to help you with her battle or ultra potions.

Haha :D Many timnes she used all of her Potions on her First Mon Nidoking, because Surf from my Gastrodon didn't kill Nidoking(80% of HP are down) :D

@Anstane

Of those, I'd say the best to use is Walrein simply because of it's natural bulk.

Thanks for the tip :P

• 1 month later...

I need help facing Kiki. I keep getting wrecked by her Lucario. I am thinking of getting Azumarill to eat the Aura Spheres and completely wreck her team while replacing Unfenzant with Dodrio/Fearow or Emolga. Kricketune is useless right now and I don't know what to replace it with.  My team is:

• Naive Infiltrator  Meowstic Lv 45 with Psychic, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball and Charge Beam
  • Bold Damp Swampert Lv 43 with Muddy Water, Rock Slide, Water Gun, Mud Bomb
  • Modest Rivarly  Unfenzant  Lv 44 with Air Slash, Air Cutter, Roost , Taunt
  • Hasty Shed Skin Scrafty Lv 45 with Hi Jump Kick, Brick Break, Crunch, Thunder Punch
  • Hasty Sturdy Golem lv 45 with Earthquake, Rock Blast, Smack Down, Rock Smash
  • Careful Technician Kricketune Lv 45 with  Sing, X Scissor, Night Slash , Sticky Web

2 hours ago, Zarc said:

catch a magnemite with sturdy and thunder waves , use it to paralyse him before the fight then OS him with scrafty

Thank you! I also got the Event Snubbul and trained it to lv 43 so that it can learn Play Rough and Payback which also makes it a great potential asset against Dragon, Fighting and Psychic  types but I'm already thinking of replacing it with a Gardevoir after beating Kiki xD

EDIT: I managed to beat Kiki with my Granbull spammning Play Rough and outside help with Golem taking care of Croagunk, Meowstic getting rid of Gallade and my flying type at the end for the final two Pokemon.

Edited by ArkCyrus

• 1 month later...

[[Shelly]]

[Graveler] [level 25]

- Nature Power

- Smack Down

- Bulldoze

- Self Destruct

-Ability:Rock Head

-No item

[Pidgeotto] [level 33]

-twister

-whirlwind

-gust

-quick attack

-Ability:Tangled Feet

-No item

[Pachirisu] [level 33]

-cut

-spark

-thunder wave

-electro ball

- Ability: Volt Absorb

-no item

[Kricketune] [level 35]

- Sing 

- Slash

- Struggle Bug

- X-Scissor

- Ability: Technician

- no item

[Braixen] [level 34]

- Psybeam

- Flame Charge

- Psyshock

- Fire Spin

- Ability: Blaze

- item: twisted spoon

[Dunsparce] [level 35]

- Roost

- Glare

- Dig

- Double Edge

- Ability: Serene Grace

- no item

Ive got about 28K in money as well as the next most useful pokemon in the PC being a lv 28 beedrill (the rest are way underlevel)...full disclosure im not the best at pokemon so please dont criticize too hard, and im open to having to grind for a pokemon if thats what the situation calls for

44 minutes ago, thatoneguy9718 said:

[[Shelly]]

[Graveler] [level 25]

- Nature Power

- Smack Down

- Bulldoze

- Self Destruct

-Ability:Rock Head

-No item

[Pidgeotto] [level 33]

-twister

-whirlwind

-gust

-quick attack

-Ability:Tangled Feet

-No item

[Pachirisu] [level 33]

-cut

-spark

-thunder wave

-electro ball

- Ability: Volt Absorb

-no item

[Kricketune] [level 35]

- Sing 

- Slash

- Struggle Bug

- X-Scissor

- Ability: Technician

- no item

[Braixen] [level 34]

- Psybeam

- Flame Charge

- Psyshock

- Fire Spin

- Ability: Blaze

- item: twisted spoon

[Dunsparce] [level 35]

- Roost

- Glare

- Dig

- Double Edge

- Ability: Serene Grace

- no item

Ive got about 28K in money as well as the next most useful pokemon in the PC being a lv 28 beedrill (the rest are way underlevel)...full disclosure im not the best at pokemon so please dont criticize too hard, and im open to having to grind for a pokemon if thats what the situation calls for

If you have mining kit,get 3 red shard.There is guy in a building near the gym who will teach braixen fire pledge.Evolve braixen.There is an espurr event in front of electric type gym.Give that guy money few times and he will move.Just level up the espurr to 19 to learn fake out.

The plan is use fake out on the pokemon that use rain dance and use fire pledge to ko that pokemon and turn the field into burning field.Then your braixen will take out everyone.

If you do not have 3 red shard,your braixen will learn mystical fire by level up which is helpful.Also level up that graveler.

3 hours ago, Yagami said:

Just level up the espurr to 19 to learn fake out.

The wild Purrloin in Aqua Gang's alley already know Fake Out.

Graveler also learns Stealth Rock on Lv. 30, which you can use to put a good dent on most of her Pokémon when they switch in. Yanmega in particular loses half HP from that. You should probably change its ability to Sturdy however, or capture another Graveler or Geodude that has Sturdy.