[WIP] How to beat every Gym leader in Pokemon Reborn

LittleDevilex

Recently there seem to be a lot of topics where people complain about the difficulty of the game. So I am making a video guide on how to easily beat every gym by using only a few pokemon (mostly 1-2), no potions or revives, and no starters. The guide is not complete atm, I will add the other Gym's as soon as I can.

Gym 1. Julia

The standard strategy, using Trubbish (Moves used: Toxic Spikes, Sludge) and Kricketune (Moves used: Fury Cutter).

Both of them had some EV speed, about 150-200.

Gym 2. Florinia

Exactly the same pokemon and strategy as for Julia.

Gym 3. Shelly

Here I used a Drought Vulpix (Moves used: Flame Burst) and Super Luck Unfezant (Moves used: Air Cutter)

Both of them had some EV speed + other random EV's, and also ok IV's in speed and sp attack (20ish)

Gym 4. Shade

The scary Shade got swept by a single pokemon... A Jolly Moxie Scrafty (Moves used: Crunch)

Again speed EV's + decent IV's.

Gym 5. Aya

Flygon + Exploud. Double attacks.

Speed EV's + decent IV's.

Gym 6. Serra

Steelix + Jolly Moxie Scrafty

Gym 7. Noel

Sand Rush Excadrill. Setup > sweep.

Gym 8. Radomus

Leavanny and Flygon

Gym 9. Luna

Scrafty and I intended to use Azumarill, but Scrafty did everything by himself.

Gym 10. Samson

I used Crobat and Azumarill

Gym 11. Charlotte

I used a Sand Force Gigalith (Moves used:Sandstorm, Rock Slide) and a Heatproof Bronzong (Moves used: Trick Room, Extrasensory)

Random EV's/IV's

Gym 12. Terra

Thick Fat Snorlax with Quick Claw + Glaceon

• Veterans

Seems cool,thing is though that the ai screws the gym leader over at times and at others it goes super prediction mode so that can really determine the flow.

Anyways i'll look forward to one on Episode 15 Serra :)

Wow, thanks for making me feel bad about myself utilizing my whole team and walking out with only one barely hanging on for dear life.

Never knew I could just burn up the entire ffin forest.

Um, how exactly did you get a scrafty before you battled Shade exactly? Thought you could only get scrafty after about the 5th gym or something. Even if you do get the key to the slums, how exactly were you beating level 45-50 pangoro to get the scrafty?

Also thought bulldoze was given to you by terra, so how did you get it before charlotte?

Um, how exactly did you get a scrafty before you battled Shade exactly? Thought you could only get scrafty after about the 5th gym or something. Even if you do get the key to the slums, how exactly were you beating level 45-50 pangoro to get the scrafty?

Also thought bulldoze was given to you by terra, so how did you get it before charlotte?

You can get the key for it as soon as you get Rock Smash, but it HAS to be before you defeat Shade. If you wait, it gets blocked off until the 5th badge.

But he is right about the bulldoze thing. I am doing this in a save where I have already beaten the game, so I forgot about that. But it doesn't really change that much, just get 1 more Gigalith and swap it for the Bronzong after he uses Trick Room, double Rock Slide will kill them all :P

EDIT: Anyway I made a new video without bulldoze. Replaced the old one.

Trapinch learn Bulldoze at 21, so Flygon can have it.

Or was it an other video?

Yes it was another video, I removed it since I was not supposed to have bulldoze at that point. But I still beat her with the same pokemon even without it.

Added: Aya, Serra and Noel.

I think Corey and Kiki should be included as well, even though they don't give badges, they still are gym leaders. Speaking of Corey, he's soloed by any Ursaring, any nature/EVs/IVs, so long as it has either Quick Feet or Guts. Quick Feet lets it outspeed and 2HKO everything while Guts beats all but Crobat in one hit.

I think Corey and Kiki should be included as well, even though they don't give badges, they still are gym leaders. Speaking of Corey, he's soloed by any Ursaring, any nature/EVs/IVs, so long as it has either Quick Feet or Guts. Quick Feet lets it outspeed and 2HKO everything while Guts beats all but Crobat in one hit.

I will add them once I finish the ones that give badges.

EDIT: Added Radomus, Luna and Samson.

The problem here is that I don't like grinding to EV train properly my Pokemon (I'm so lazy), and also I noticed there are different Pokemon almost everywhere ... that's what it's meant to be, but this way I always was underleveled. But, this is still impressive, great job :D!

You don't have to EV train. I did them all with 1-2 pokemon so if you use the ones I recommended + 4 of your choice + potions and revives, there should be no way to lose. And you don't even have to use the pokemon I recommended, there are lots of other good ones and even better strategies, I just want to show that its not that hard and definitely not impossible like some recent topics were trying to make it look.

You don't have to EV train. I did them all with 1-2 pokemon so if you use the ones I recommended + 4 of your choice + potions and revives, there should be no way to lose. And you don't even have to use the pokemon I recommended, there are lots of other good ones and even better strategies, I just want to show that its not that hard and definitely not impossible like some recent topics were trying to make it look.

I don't think any sane person is really arguing that the fights can't be beaten - but the problem is grinding new pokemon takes ages because grinding wild pokemon is really really slow, and knowing that some pokemon can beat a gym really easily doesn't really help if you don't have those pokemon. I mean, for instance you're talking about against shade getting a jolly scrafty with moxie (which involves beating a level 50 pokemon while you're level capped at 35 - not that it's too difficult to beat the pokemon but you're either going to have to repeat that fight over and over again or go through the slow process of breeding it until you get a jolly+moxie scrafty). Then you have to level it up all the way to level 39 when there are 0 trainers left to fight unless you've missed something in the past, so that means grinding the scraggy up purely on wild pokemon (which give terrible exp) from at the least level 15. I mean, yeah it's 'possible' to do, but realistically nobody is going to have a scrafty for that gym fight (and that's not even going into the speed EV training).

Things like getting a flygon for Aya - yeah a flygon wrecks Aya, but if you weren't already leveling a trapinch beforehand it's going to take a ridiculous amount of time to get a Flygon at that point. It's not easy to just switch pokemon into your team when the game was practically designed for grinding to be slow. I already had a level 40 vibrava when I got to Aya and I still had to spend hours grinding before I could evolve it, let alone if I had to start from scratch.

I didn't have too much difficulty with any of the gym fights without rotating any pokemon in, so I didn't find it much of a bother - but if I did have to start switching in pokemon just to help me with 1 single gym fight before boxing it in the PC again I would've been pretty annoyed at the gym fights too, because it takes a really long time to grind new pokemon from scratch in this game.

There are many ways to beat the gyms that i don't think it will be much of a problem. Like i beat Charlotte by only using one pokemon, Garbodor. It will make Charlotte battles in singles format. Then just using Amnesia and x defense made the battle pretty easy. I used other similar strategies on other gyms but only when i needed too. So i don't think it will be too much of an issue. Like i have a bad party lineup, and i still haven't switched pokemon in my party.

I mean, for instance you're talking about against shade getting a jolly scrafty with moxie (which involves beating a level 50 pokemon while you're level capped at 35 - not that it's too difficult to beat the pokemon but you're either going to have to repeat that fight over and over again or go through the slow process of breeding it until you get a jolly+moxie scrafty).

just saying, but once you beat the last pangoro, you can quick-save in between speech boxes, which is how i did it.

I wouldn't consider getting 150-200 speed evs before the first gym battle easy. Just sayin, man.

I liked your strategy for Charlotte, though.

edit: oh and acrobatics does more damage without sky plate than with

Edited by Nails

I don't think any sane person is really arguing that the fights can't be beaten.

There are, not sure if sane, but there are people quitting the game because they think its impossible to beat some gyms.

just saying, but once you beat the last pangoro, you can quick-save in between speech boxes, which is how i did it.

This

Hey! Can I link this post in my guide I'm working on? It could help people looking at my guide :o

Sure.

• 1 month later...

I don't think any sane person is really arguing that the fights can't be beaten - but the problem is grinding new pokemon takes ages because grinding wild pokemon is really really slow, and knowing that some pokemon can beat a gym really easily doesn't really help if you don't have those pokemon. I mean, for instance you're talking about against shade getting a jolly scrafty with moxie (which involves beating a level 50 pokemon while you're level capped at 35 - not that it's too difficult to beat the pokemon but you're either going to have to repeat that fight over and over again or go through the slow process of breeding it until you get a jolly+moxie scrafty). Then you have to level it up all the way to level 39 when there are 0 trainers left to fight unless you've missed something in the past, so that means grinding the scraggy up purely on wild pokemon (which give terrible exp) from at the least level 15. I mean, yeah it's 'possible' to do, but realistically nobody is going to have a scrafty for that gym fight (and that's not even going into the speed EV training).

Things like getting a flygon for Aya - yeah a flygon wrecks Aya, but if you weren't already leveling a trapinch beforehand it's going to take a ridiculous amount of time to get a Flygon at that point. It's not easy to just switch pokemon into your team when the game was practically designed for grinding to be slow. I already had a level 40 vibrava when I got to Aya and I still had to spend hours grinding before I could evolve it, let alone if I had to start from scratch.

I didn't have too much difficulty with any of the gym fights without rotating any pokemon in, so I didn't find it much of a bother - but if I did have to start switching in pokemon just to help me with 1 single gym fight before boxing it in the PC again I would've been pretty annoyed at the gym fights too, because it takes a really long time to grind new pokemon from scratch in this game.

Well, I had a Scraggy for Shade. It wasn't Jolly (IDK its nature at the moment), and I used an Ability Capsule to switch its ability to Moxie.

I found the key in the Underground Railnet before I fought Shade, and I looked up what it went to on the forum.

I beat the Pangoros with Emolga's Acrobatics and some support from the rest of the team . . . I had to restart a few times due to Circle Throw messing with me . . . :(

Also, you aren't level-capped at 35 at that point. You are level-capped at 40. I know this because my Emolga was level 37.

I got decent IVs on Scraggy on my first try and went with it because I didn't know you could Quick-Save during the dialog . . . :blink:

I got it to level 35 and put a Chesto Berry on it so it wouldn't get hypnotized by Gengar.

It swept Shade's first 4(!) Pokemon (Gengar, Gollet, Doublade, and Chandelure) with Feint Attack and Payback before finally dying to Gourgeist. The rest of my team cleaned up Gourgeist and Rotom.

I did my grinding Beneath the Grand Staircase against the Unown, since Scraggy can kill them pretty easily even at a low level.

I don't use Healing Items in Battle as a self-imposed challenge, so I generally do have to grind a bit more than most . . .

I lost to Shade about 15-20 times (Got VERY close several times; This was the hardest fight for me since Florina!) until I tried using a Focus Sash so I could get one more hit on Chandelure.

That worked, but I didn't want to waste the Focus Sash, so I went back and did more grinding to get Scraggy up from 31 to 35 so it could consistently OHKO Gengar with Payback.

I only spent maybe 1.5 to 2 hours grinding Scraggy. I did it while I was watching TV . . . :P

I'm just saying you don't need Scraggy to be Speed-EV trained or Jolly for it to be useful against Shade. Payback works just fine! You do need it to be near level 35 though . . .

Edited by ReddestDream