[CW] Fading Away (PMD)

Midnight

Time had finally been restored. We were successful. We bid farewell to Dialga, and began to descend Temporal Tower. There were few Pokemon in the tower, and the ones that remained were not hostile.

“I guess with time restored, they’ve finally come back to their senses,” my partner, Ember, remarked. His voice trembled a little.

“Ember, is something wrong?” I then noticed a large, bleeding wound across the Chimchar’s chest. I frantically searched my bag for anything that could heal him, but found nothing. No berries or reviver seeds. They’d all been used up climbing the tower and fighting Dialga. “Why didn’t you tell me about this sooner?”

“I didn’t want to worry you. I’m sorry...” he said, looking down. Suddenly, he staggered, then fell to the ground.

“Ember!” I gasped, dashing over to him. “We’ve got to get you back to the guild.” I had no doubt that, as a Riolu, I would be able to handle his weight. I picked him up with ease, and continued down the tower, albeit at a slightly lower speed.

By the time I reached the bottom of the tower, I was starting to feel tired out. As soon as we were out of the tower, I set him down gently, and sat down on the ground. “Sorry…I need to rest…” I told him, hoping that it wouldn’t take too long. But the longer I sat, the more tired I felt. Suddenly, small lights began to float around me. I knew what this meant.

“Jake, what’s wrong? What are those lights?” he asked, sounding a bit panicked.

“I’m sorry,” I told him, “but I’ve been keeping a secret too. It’s just like Dusknoir told me…If the future is changed, all of the Pokemon from the future will disappear. That includes me...”

“W-what? No! Even if I die here, you need to stay alive!” Tears streamed from his eyes. “You were the one who gave me the strength to come this far...You were the greatest friend I’ve ever had...Y-you can’t disappear!”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t save you...” I told him, tears rolling down my face as well.

“No...It’s better this way. We’ll both fade away...together…” His voice was getting weaker, and the lights around me shined brighter than ever.

“I’m glad that we could go on adventures together…train at the guild together…I’m so glad I met you, Ember... Even after I fade away...I’ll never forget you...”

His eyes began to close, and the lights around me grew so bright that I couldn’t see. My body and mind were both consumed by the light…I couldn’t think, I couldn’t move…and then I was gone…gone forever.

• Upvote 1