Make your game run smooth

ArcsyKay

Hi everyone,

This is the first real thread that I've started (I don't count the greeting).

To the point...
I found a program that lets you control your fps (to an extend) in rpgmaker games.
Basically you can set your max fps to 30,60,90 etc.

http://himeworks.com/2014/10/rm-fps-control/

Have fun :)

Edited by KisuoX

So does this just increase the fps so your games runs smooth, or is it able to speed up the game? My game already runs smooth, but if it can speed it up I would use it.

You can just use Cheat Engine for that.

I have heard that your save file can get corrupted if you use it.

I've been using it since the 2nd gym of the game (I finished ep 14 already) since the cities lag a lot for me and my file never got corrupted. If you're worried about it, you should make a back-up copy of your save file before using it.

Edited by BrokenIce

There sir, I gave you the first and well deserved green point in this topic of yours, because I can not only speed up reborn with incredibly ease (just a friggin bar!) but also the new Insurgence, and that's huge because I can now mine rocks for IV stones almost twice as fast (well not THAT fast but, well considering it gets a bit laggy when you refresh the map, this actually speeds it up by a lot). That was some great contribution right there, specially considering that I never truly understood to well how to use the cheat engine thing.

Edited by zimvader42

There sir, I gave you the first and well deserved green point in this topic of yours, because I can not only speed up reborn with incredibly ease (just a friggin bar!) but also the new Insurgence, and that's huge because I can now mine rocks for IV stones almost twice as fast (well not THAT fast but, well considering it gets a bit laggy when you refresh the map, this actually speeds it up by a lot). That was some great contribution right there, specially considering that I never truly understood to well how to use the cheat engine thing.

So it works? Nice, I will try it right now.

So it works? Nice, I will try it right now.

Doesn't really "speeeeeeeeed" the game beyond boundaries but, um, if you have used the "fast forward" option of a GBA emulator, it comes to be more or less that, at least on Insurgence, where I just tried it a few minutes ago. I haven't tried in reborn but 2+2=speed so it should work as well. The thing is, some details like the speed at which the HP bar comes down on a foe, or that fading animatin of certain foes (i.e. A Conkeldurr, dunno why) still go at the same speed or similar, for what I can tell, but the dialogues with NPCs, the party menu and pretty much everything else goes turbo. Also, it really runs smoooth, no doubt about that, the lag on the selection screen and the mining rocks is gone :D

• 3 weeks later...

The tool modifies a single memory address that stores the FPS.

I used cheat engine to figure out the address for the FPS so if anyone has used cheat engine to properly update the game time as well given the modified FPS, just let me know how that's done.

I have found a small flaw with this thing, it messes around with your played time. I had about 200h and then later it went down to 60h.

The tool forces the game to update faster.

However, game time becomes a problem. I am not sure why.

This affects more than just playtime; if the game has anything related to a timer count-down (eg: some sort of timed event where you need to complete a task before the timer runs down to 0), you may notice that the timer runs extremely slow relatively to the speed of basically everything else. Depends how the timer is implemented of course.

So a side-effect of this forced speed up is that timed events suddenly become really easy.

However, this also means that in-game time might pass really slowly (and apparently, turns back time), so if you are hoping for time-based events to spawn faster...tool may need to be updated.

Doesn't really "speeeeeeeeed" the game beyond boundaries but, um, if you have used the "fast forward" option of a GBA emulator, it comes to be more or less that, at least on Insurgence, where I just tried it a few minutes ago. I haven't tried in reborn but 2+2=speed so it should work as well. The thing is, some details like the speed at which the HP bar comes down on a foe, or that fading animatin of certain foes (i.e. A Conkeldurr, dunno why) still go at the same speed or similar, for what I can tell, but the dialogues with NPCs, the party menu and pretty much everything else goes turbo. Also, it really runs smoooth, no doubt about that, the lag on the selection screen and the mining rocks is gone :D

I set an arbitrary limit of 500 FPS for the tool. This was because anything faster and I noticed games might crash from time to time.

I can increase the limit (eg: 10000) or allow users to set their own limits since this affects the size of the bar if that would make it more useful, but potentially less safe. I don't actually know what causes the crash so it might not even be related to the FPS.

For perspective, RMXP by defaults runs at 40 FPS.

Edited by Tsukihime

Actually it changes the play time only visually, it doesn't actually change it. When you save you will see that it is normal.

Might know why. Time is stored in frames.

Assuming 60 frames is 1 second. If you had 36000 frames before, which is 10 minutes, and then you sped it up to 500 frames per second, now the time suddenly drops to a little over a minute. Visually. It's still 36000 frames, so the in-game time has not changed.

Well, as long as it doesn't affect your playtime...

I keep getting this net.framework error (install version 4.0.30319) Is that something basic, or is there something else i need to install?

I've updated the download.

See if it works.

• 1 month later...