YOUR own personal opinion between Rhydon vs. Aggron

Dr. Zexal

So ive spent a lot of time at the research centre and its quite sad to see how many people actually give and interest to it so this is me trying to spark some life here !!!

One of the biggest debates in pokemon I can think of : Rhydon vs Aggron

As a pokemon battle with the pokemon on their own free will to see who would win

post-49968-0-06075200-1420799893_thumb.png vs. post-49968-0-18723900-1420799906_thumb.png

Both equally matched with rhydon being the ground/rock type while aggron is a steel/rock type !!!

Edited by Dr. Zexal

I see your putting it to evolution hey ? because rhydon is one level lower he is assumed weaker than aggron ?

but because Rhydon is a lower level down he is also smaller which in turn can make him more agile and a smaller target to hit for a slow Aggron

Edited by Dr. Zexal

The way this matchup will pan out depends very much on the movesets each of the contenders carry. if its a normal stat spread, a magnet rise aggron will defeat rhydon, but otherwise rhydon wins in every other matchup. However, aggron does win the badass look contest, if my vote counts for anything that is.

oky devilex what if id give rhydon two moves : stealth rock and then bulldoze or earthquake ? bulldoze will very much slow aggron down and with stealthrock in place make his ability to move at a constant pace very tricky

Littledevilex, my comment was made after research and a bit of calculating. Atm the most common sets for either pokemon are, if we ignore mega evolution for aggron and rhyperior evolution for rhydon:

aggron (uu tank) rhydon (nu tank)

impish adamant

hp-252 hp-252

def-136 atk-16

spdef-120 spdef-240

item-leftovers item-eviolite

The clincher here is that rhydon can hold eviolite, which increases its defense and spdef by 1.5x. This means that at most aggron can do 30% with heavy slam, while rhydon's earthquake does 88.3% to 104.6%, which guarantees a 2HKO. so, unless aggron is carrying magnet rise, aggron's lack of ground immunity will mean its downfall to rhydon.

but finkeltwinkle i see youve done research on this etc but your taking this like its a machine with fixed amounts and definite outcomes. Take it as if its a real creature, do you really think its gonna be a 20 second battle between these two ? I dont have a favourite here because they both are AWESOME but i know the winner would only be declared after a lot of head bumping and rocks

and i could bet you in real life these two definitely wont be impish and adament.

Edited by Dr. Zexal

Littledevilex, my comment was made after research and a bit of calculating. Atm the most common sets for either pokemon are, if we ignore mega evolution for aggron and rhyperior evolution for rhydon:

aggron (uu tank) rhydon (nu tank)

impish adamant

hp-252 hp-252

def-136 atk-16

spdef-120 spdef-240

item-leftovers item-eviolite

The clincher here is that rhydon can hold eviolite, which increases its defense and spdef by 1.5x. This means that at most aggron can do 30% with heavy slam, while rhydon's earthquake does 88.3% to 104.6%, which guarantees a 2HKO. so, unless aggron is carrying magnet rise, aggron's lack of ground immunity will mean its downfall to rhydon.

Even with Magnet Rise, Rhydon learns a lot of strong fighting moves. Aggron has a 4x weakness to fighting. So yeah Rhydon should always win this.

@Dr.Zexal Well if its a anime like battle then anything is possible. Pikachu beats Onix with a electric attack :P

Edited by LittleDevilex

well I wouldnt say anything , still abiding by the general type power and type difference rules, but really ive notice the higher your pokemon level goes the faster the battle is to win ... it likes theres no soul in the battle , I really love pokemon !! although rhydon can learn fighting moves i swear aggron can learn dig and even use moves like acid armor - i said like because i cant recall the moves- to drastically boost his defense

As Rhydon learns fighting moves, Aggron learns Aqua Tail, Magnet Rise and Surf

Let's see what Rhydon learns: Brick Break, Focus Punch, Superpower, Hammer Arm. Almost all powerful moves.

A.) If Aggron doesn't have sturdy, Rhydon wins. Fatality.
B.) If Aggron has sturdy, things change.

a.) First check. Wild pokemon who were never captured.

>Since they are wild pokemon, I'll give both no EVs.

>No Eviolite

>They know how to fight, because they had to survive on their own.

>They can have all types of moves.

With both pokemon playing at the best of their capabilities, Aggron has a winning strategy that works 100% of the time.

First turn: Aggron uses Bulldoze. Rhydon uses EQ. Aggron lives with Sturdy. Rhydon has lost some HP, but still in good condition.

................................................... Rhydon uses Bulldoze. Aggron and Rhydon live and are both at -1 Spe

Second turn: Aggron uses Surf. Rhydon faints.

b.) Pokemon have been released

>More battle experience, more competitive sets

>Both know how to predict moves
>Rhydon can hold eviolite

>We don't know what Aggron holds

>Standard Defensive EVs

Aggron: 252HP / 52Atk / 200Def
Rhydon: 200HP / 52Atk / 252Def

Aggron has: random move, Bulldoze, Surf, Magnet Rise

Rhydon has: EQ, Bulldoze, random move, fighting move

As Fighting move the most viable is Superpower, because Brick Break does little damage and Hammer Arm reduces speed, which is essential so he lives.

Now it comes to prediction. As Aggron is faster, two Surfs kill Rhydon. Going for EQ against sturdy Aggron is a wrong move.

Instead of Bulldoze, Aggron might use Magnet Rise. Therefore starting with EQ, Rhydon is screwed. He knows that. So he doesn't use it.

It comes to prediction now.

i) If Aggron goes for the Surf, it's better to use Bulldoze first and then, while being faster, hit with EQ or Superpower

ii) If Aggron goes for the Magnet Rise, it's better to use Superpower, then live the Surf and kill with another Superpower

>If Aggron holds one of the following items
Weakness Policy, Custap Berry, White Herb, Salac Berry

it pretty much won the battle.

In the end, sturdy Aggron dictates the battle, and having the luxury of going first in the first turn, it is more likely to win this.

Edited by nickcrash

Ive never heard of Aggron being able to learn surf before are you sure about that and even so in a battle in the wild i really dont think your going to find him swimming in a cave ? and as Ive learned doesn't earthquake cancel out surf because the water moves through the cracks ?

and even if Rhydon has fighting type moves I think simple moves like rock polish could actually play a huge role in dodging legal attacks

Edited by Dr. Zexal

Well, I did the teambuilding first in showdown to ensure they learn the moves I give them. Even if water goes through the cracks, what good is it if you still lose your footing?

I didn't realize we were considering the battle also in anime style. If we put it in more real-like scenarios, then one slot will go for pound or scratch for both.

Yea i agree with you there but see like you said : Aggron will have magnet rise while Rhydon will ulldoze which could ensure some good moving space after the whole earthquake flood scenario

and i think in close combat Rhydon would tackle him and use Horn drill while Aggron will try and use pound of scratch successively while using iron defense

In terms of competitive viability Aggron takes this one, Rock Head Head Smash is too good to pass up, it has a better typing (though still not fantastic) and it's Mega Evolution is also really good. Rhydon really only has STAB EQ on it and I guess Eviolite.

In a 1v1 between the two I guess Rhydon would win since Aggron is x4 weak to its STAB and probably won't 2hko Eviolite variants.