[CW: Light Novel and Feedback] Graterras: Dream on Another Shore {Last Update: 11/03/2015 -Chapter 9. NEW UPDATE. Chapter 10 pending.}

Raindrop Valkyrie

I've been working on this project off and on now fro some time perhaps it's high time I really updated how I've been bookkeeping etc so that it's not all clunky and what not.

Without further ado, this is the home of Dream on Another Shore, a project... I randomly started fro no other reason than that I was bored at the time. A strange way to start talking about a project for sure. Many would use this space to go on about their inspirations and what they were trying to accomplish. But, when I started this things I really didn't have anything at all. I just had the basic concept I usually have when writing things for Graterras. To write it around an unlikely protagonist in a Fantasy Setting. I never wrote about a painter before, and we barely see anything written about them, so I decided... eh why the hell not? Maybe not the most inspiring speech there, but it's my reason and it's reason enough for me. I love to play with new ideas and to see where the winds will take me. It's certainly been a journey thus far on this little project.

Plot Synopsis

A starving Artist on the verge of losing her home. What only makes it worse is actually getting a job is this forsaken wreck of a town when you have no Magic.

Elaine Morningsglory, a woman with no magic in the Land of Magic, The Crystal Isles. A place that is founded on the principles of magic in everyday life. Therefore... life is hard for those without it. One's find's them self quickly as an outcast.

However, when down on her luck a mysterious windfall happens her way, a job for a painter who doesn't use magic. It seems much to good to be true. But, the pay is enough to pay off her home and continue her life as normal. It's too good an opportunity to let slip by. What lies in wait for Elaine?

Links ((for the story, and the Original Graterras RP OOC for reference material.))

Graterras: Dream on Another Shore

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cxcovWH1WwHKa9kIrBh46SeA92c0c6RvLI8FTZUfplM/edit?usp=sharing

Graterras: A World in Peril OOC ((RP can be found through links in the OOC if you wish to read that as well.))

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7827

Current Completed Chapter: 8

Chapter 9 in Progress.

This was a pretty interesting read... More, more! And I wonder if the woman in her dreams is Lady Aelia herself...? XD anyway this is pretty interesting, 'Kuna-sensei. Wonder too if we'll be seeing any fighting scenes? But even if we don't, this is a pretty interesting thing... Didn't know that the Crystal Isles discriminate against non-Magic users so badly. Will this carry on into the RP, by the way?

Na, this is independant, other than maybe a reference to Elaine or 2. I am not actually sure how it will end yet as I am writing it on a whim. ((I actually typed all of that off the top of my head with no plan in mind. I like to write in a way where my wondering brain takes me places.)) My only goal here, was to show the Crystal Isles a bit show you guys a bit of the taste of the place. It is one of the more weird areas in Graterras having so much magic all over the place. People use it in their daily lives. ((and Egile is no mage, he couldn't fight to save his life. Yes he can float papers around, but he can't do much else. Everyday people have everyday magic, nothing that really can hurt or harm.))

It can get bad, depends on the island. The Crystal Isles, unlike the Shadowed Isles are really an Isles. They are a bunch of small islands, connected by magical unmanned ferries. Some of the islands are super nasty to non-magic users, others could care less.

Illithids are actually accepted there....

Oh and Chauff actually knows magic funnily enough.

And figures Notus, this was just the tip of the iceberg, I am going over a basic plan of Chap 2 in my head before I write it though, don't want it to get super silly. I will go in with an agenda from now on, but I still try to wander a bit. I like writing in a way that I am exploring as well. It can be kinda rough sometimes, but I still like to do it that way.

• Upvote 1

Ahh, I was actually curious about The Crystal Isles the most out of all the areas in Graterras! I'm sure this will be a good way to explore a magic-based culture through the eyes of what may be a very different citizen, but a citizen of The Isles nonetheless.

Gah, I should be thankful, but this is another thing added to my list of reading material from you, haha!

Chapter 2 is live for all of those reading, it is a bit longer this time around.

Might be a bit before I get to Chapter 3, but I have an overview of where I want this tale to go at least now. It is a rather weird tale, and one I am enjoying writing.

Ahh, a nice and eventful cliff-hanger! That dream sequence during this chapter really got me going, haha. The intensity was definitely there along with those beautiful descriptions. Between that and the multi-cultural interaction at the Inn, I'm not sure what I found most enjoyable!

By the way, the coffee thing was almost directly me speaking.......dark coffee, not my thing lol.

Also.....apparently I am good at dreams for some reason. Apparently, I am good at pretentious bullshit. YAY!!! I am guessing the music helped a bit though huh?

Yes! I have the habit of adding soundtracks to my writing and/or role-plays as well, haha! Dreams or other giant imagery dumps are just good fun in my book.

(Also, I have acquired a taste for black coffee (Black as night, sweet as sin). It's mostly my grandfather's fault, since he told me when I was 8 that I'd be a p**** if I didn't like coffee. I didn't know what 'that' was, but it sounded like an insult, haha!)

XD, yea, I prefer tea...not jasmine tea. I prefer Earl Grey, but that doesn't sound like it would come from or being easily available in the Crystal Isles. ((the Crystal Isles are psuedo-japanese/western style kind of an area with my own spin on it. Earl Grey in the real world, is 1. named after a real person who doesn't exist in Graterras and 2. comes from Britain, so It would be an anomaly there in the Crystal Isles imo....))

But other than our preference of morning drink.....Elaine isn't much like me XD.

They aren't really fever dreams, but not going to say anything else on that.

And Elaine is going to have some strange ass adventures. I mean....a woman just appeared on her desk, a woman she has been seeing in her dreams at least 3 times now. ((since at the beginning she mentioned she had it at least once before while having it, and then had it now. SO at least three times, but you knows how many others, as we know it is a reoccurring dream.))

Two bags of putty.. 'Kuna breasts aren't really that pliable but XD

What's going to happen next, I wonder? Also I love the music you used to accompany the dream scenes.. so fitting, especially the first one. You can really visualize the desperation in that scene.

Remember, Elaine was guessing what was going on, she didn't really expect that to happen, so of course she waaaaaaaaaaaaaaas way off. Also keep in mind, I like to exaggerate for comedic effect and it kinda fits Elaine to do so. ((not for comdeic effect, but because she thinks in that way. She tends to blow things out of proportion or make them seem grander than they are.))

I am still writing it, having a bit of trouble characterizing our Mysterious stranger cause I haven't given her much thought yet, but it is getting there. ((I actually got stuck yesterday, my solution? Go to sleep maybe I will have something later XD.))

That was really nice... It's just wonderful when people truly understand one another, isn't it? And your music selection was very powerful too, haha!

The closest thing to a gripe I have is how often I'd get lost in the text walls, haha. I think it might be a good idea to make new paragraphs whenever someone speaks, that way it splits up the text and makes it less possible to lose your spot while reading. Other than that insignificant problem, this was another rewarding experience for me, haha!

Yea, It is just I didn't want to break it up too much. I am used to writing in an RP, where I need to break up the wordings a lot but it feels to small in a story. I am not used to the transition yet, so glad you are bearing with me at least. It may be a little until I figure it out in full.

Hukuna... I just read through chapters 2 and 3. I'll put it simply: this was one of the best pieces of text I heve read in a looong time. You created an unique character and wrote her with mastery. The songs you chose fitted so well that it sent shivers down my spine while reading the parts that had them. Your descriptions of emotions were perfect, and that scene with the Sea and Land... Mate, I don't have any more words that wouldn't feel overused or pale for describing that. Please keep this up.

I always say, if you are going to do something at least put in some effort.

Music can add so much to a piece. With just the audio queues that help reinforce the emotions. They drive home my meaning what I want to be felt form the words I had written. The craziest part is I didn;t plan any of this, I went with what I felt needed to be written there. I didn't sit here and think for hours upon hours, or write draft after draft. I typed that whole Chapter in one go off the top of my head.

It humbles me to see this kind of a reaction to my work, because I honestly never thought I would be this good at any one thing. It definitely makes me reconsider my stance on writing Graterras as a novel. I just like being able to talk through a character and just discuss how I feel about things. So much of that is just my honest musings things that if I was like Elaine I would probably think about all the time myself. Something just feels so fresh and so invigorating to just write I don't know. And I am glad people can read along and enjoy the ride with me. The makes it all the better, that something I wrote could move someone in such a way as to really bring to them an emotion. That means what I felt was translated to into that text. And I feel that is a hard feat to accomplish. So, I am glad that anybody is reading it, and even more happy that people enjoy it. And I am bloody elated. It makes the time I spent writing it, honestly so worth it. I will probably write a lot more if I can, we aren't nearly done with Elaine yet.

• Upvote 1