Today I Learned

Arkhi

Today I learned that Japanese people use little stamps (or something) for signatures.

First I saw about it was on Youtube "strange things about Japan" (or something like that) that people do that.

Don't really get what is so strange about that but the fact that Western people (or at least Belgians) don't do that.

Second was when watching "The Man In The High Castle" that Trade Minister Tagomi used something exactly like in Youtube for a signature.

Must be good when you need to put a lot of signatures like I need to do at work. I think I need one of those stamps.

• 2 weeks later...

Not today but yesterday I learned something about work.

I have many co-workers there, but no friends.

Something heavy fell over and instead of helping me to get the stuff back up they where just watching.

Apart from the new guy from Poland. He ran to me as if the stuff fell on me.

Sometimes the people you know the least, are the most kind ones around.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Today I learned that life is simply a matter of perception. How you interpret situations and incidents depend on you. You may feel that a bad comment is something you need to get mad on but you can always think that you can improve from your mistakes and flaws. Downfalls are not really hindrances; it's just a matter of how you look at things.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Animefan666 said:

Grab the two biggest pots in your kitchen, fill'em up with water and boil them.

Unless your stoves are electric, you are still using gas.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:14 PM, Arkhi said:

TIL DST is linked to increased rates of heart attacks.

Wha, you mean that day where we for some reason roll put our clocks one way forward that most people forget, has an impact on heart disease⸮ Preposterous. 

On a side note, TIL (a few days ago actually) that stress is actually a very low-risk factor in heart disease, so I'm genuinely interested in finding out why it leads to increased heart attacks, @Arkhicould you perhaps link me to the study where you found out the piece of information?

And now onto something I actually learned today: TIL that an irony sign exists, it looks like this ⸮. Cool huh? (⸮)

2 hours ago, Tartar said:

Wha, you mean that day where we for some reason roll put our clocks one way forward that most people forget, has an impact on heart disease⸮ Preposterous. 

On a side note, TIL (a few days ago actually) that stress is actually a very low-risk factor in heart disease, so I'm genuinely interested in finding out why it leads to increased heart attacks, @Arkhicould you perhaps link me to the study where you found out the piece of information?

@Tartar Here we are:  http://openheart.bmj.com/content/openhrt/1/1/e000019.full.pdf This comes from the British Medical Journal, so it's relatively trustworthy.

TIL that March 13th is Nap Day. Though not necessarily an international holiday, it is at least on the national level, so yay for justified napping periods when you aren't supposed too.

1 hour ago, Arkhi said:

@Tartar Here we are:  http://openheart.bmj.com/content/openhrt/1/1/e000019.full.pdf This comes from the British Medical Journal, so it's relatively trustworthy.

Fascinating, thanks for posting it. 

In my first comment, I was referring to stress being a minor or nonexistent risk factor in the development of IHD. Acute stress can trigger AMI, but you'd already need to be at risk of it occurring. Still, glad to see we've got another reason to remove DST.

On that note, may I ask you were reading cardiology research papers?

• 3 weeks later...