Reborn in Darkness. Chapter 3: Beginning Journey [CW]

Raviel the Phantom

Okay, some readers saw me try to write a story based on Pokemon Reborn. Well after writing I did not quite like the quality of the work, as it was definitely not my best work. Though hasty, I have decided to scrap the original and create one with a bit of a darker undertone.

Chapter 1: Champion Arise

"Delphox, now!" a trainer barks to his companion.

The Firefox answers the command of its trainer, fire spewing from the end of its wand. On the receiving end of the Mystic Fire is a colossal Emboar, who charges forward, using Flare Blitz to counter. The giant boar storms through the flames and crashes right into the magical fox. Delphox flails, unable to endure the tremendous strength of the Fire and Fighting Type Pokemon. It falls flat on its back, twitching a few times before it stops moving. Behind the owner of the fallen Fire and Psychic Type, a horn blares loudly. The siren sound signals that his Pokemon is no longer able to battle.

Clenching his fist, clearly frustrated, he reaches for the Pokeball at his belt. The small round orb enlarges, allowing him to shoot a bam of red light at the unconscious Delphox. The fox's body turns into that same red light, as it is retracted into the ball. He says nothing else, but hears the sound of the crowd around him.

It is all boos, followed by japes and a mixture of unfriendly curses aimed toward him. He ignores the group of angry spectators in the stadium. His eyes turn up to the large screen, seeing the blown up image of himself and the other trainer. The opponent, Derek, has all six of his Pokemon active in the battle, save for the fact that five of them are in the red after the bouts with his team. He, on the other hand, has been reduced to his last partner. Above his picture is his name, Raviel.

"Oh, it looks like Raviel is down to his last Pokemon," an announcer shouts through the sound systems. "Meanwhile, Derek still has his entire team. Will Raviel's last Pokemon be able to make an amazing sweep and win him the title of Kalos League Champion?"

"No way, he sucks," someone from the crowd jeers, answered soon after by laughter.

With his last Pokemon in hand, he ignores all the taunts and booing that surrounds him. Unlike the normal red and white balls that most trainers carry, this one is a bit different. Strange circles of green surround a black surface, known only as a Dusk Ball. A ball that is best to capture those in caves and at night. With a subtle grin, he hurls the ball out...

And in a flash of light comes his final Pokemon. The evil-looking Shadow Pokemon apppears with a wide grin, eyes glowing red as it looks unto the Emboar that towers over it.

"It looks like Raviel's last Pokemon is Gengar!" the announcer shouts, "No doubt a trump card that he has used throughout the tournament, but will it be enough to win him the title of Champion?"

The crowd again answers with boos, clearly hating the trainer and his partner. Again, he pays them no mind. He only nods, and Gengar attacks. The ghastly Pokemon seems to be perfectly in sync with its trainer as it floats through the air. Emboar reacts to its trainer's startled command, aiming to crush the ghostly doppelganger with a Hammer Arm. Yet when the boar's fist comes crashing down, it fazes right through Gengar.

"Gengar," Raviel says, "Its time..."

The hated trainer lifts his arm up in the air, showcasing a most unusual bracelet clinging to his arm. Suddenly, it begins to glow. On the field, Gengar opens its mouth, letting its long tongue to come slither out. Kept in the creature's mouth is a mysterious stone that matches the one around Raviel's wrist. It too begins to glow.

"Oh no," Derek shouts, realizing what is about to happen, "Emboar stop him! Use Flare Blitz."

Yet it is too late, as Gengar transforms on the field. The bright light has brought the crowd to a hush, all watching the metamorphosis. Gengar appears to sink into the ground while spiked frills seem to burst about its body. Lastly a golden third eye opens up on its forehead.

"Unbelievable," the announcer breaks the silence. "Raviel managed to keep this trump card hidde throughout the entire leage battles. Mega Gengar!!!"

"Gengar," Raviel says coldly.

"Geng?" his Pokemon cocks its head, waiting for its master's orders.

"Wipe him out," is his trainer's answer.

"Gengar!"

"Oof," Raviel grunts as a fist is thrown into his stomach. He falls to his knees, overcome by the pain as a boot lands against his cheek. The league champion lays sprawled out onto the floor, his lip split. He does not move, as the barrage of kicks comes from two additional men. All that he can do is curl up and endure the pain.

"Hey!" a young woman's voice barks to the trio, "What the hell are you doing?"

The three see the woman to be a white haired beauty with icy blue eyes that seem to burn into their souls. A gaze alone fills them with dread, causing them to leave Raviel be, bolting down the alley from which they came. Feeling the bombardment over, Raviel gets to his knees, coughing up blots of blood. When the throbbing in his gut subsides, he looks up to his rescuer and sees the girl as well.

"What are you doing?" the girl asks, offering a hand.

"Getting my ass kicked," he answers.

"I saw, but why?" she insists, reaching into a pack to find a cloth to wipe the blood off his face.

"Did you catch my battle?" Raviel says, dabbing away the blood from his split lip.

"You were good," she states.

"I'm not well liked," he answers, handing her back the crimson-stained rag. "A few of my fans were thanking me for making them lose all the money they bet against me."

The girl nods, "I noticed. I don't understand why."

"I'd rather not get into it," he says, dusting himself off, "I don't need another enemy." He pauses a moment before realizing something, "Wait, who are you anyways?"

"My name is Ame," the snow-haired woman answers. "I come from a distant region called Reborn."

"I'll pass," Raviel denies her.

Ame jumps at him before he wonders off, "But your such a strong trainer. The way you and your Gengar battled was mesmerizing."

"I really don't want to go to a whole new place to be hated," Raviel sighs, walking past her.

"It's a new start!" she shouts.

He stops, "What do you mean?"

"Reborn is a place of renewal," Ame answers. "You will not be the first person there with a dark past. No one will know who you were, just who you are."

Such words are almost too much for Raviel to bear, as if he is about to burst into tears. He wipes his eyes on his sleeve to not show her any weakness.

"I would give anything to get that chance," he looks at her. "Alright, I'll help you, to have a new start."

At his belt he grabs the Dusk Ball, and tosses it in front of Ame. She watches as his faithful Gengar emerges, grinning like he always does. Yet when he turns to his master, the Shadow Pokemon finds a most disturbing sight. Raviel has the Pokeball that houses his powerhouse, and is in the process of pulling it apart. Gengar frowns as he watches the Dusk Ball that he had been captured since he was a Ghastly be ripped in half.

"What are you doing?" Ame gasps.

"I am starting over, that means my Pokemon too," he says. "The rest of my team will do fine with other trainers..."

"Gengar?" his Pokemon looks sad.

"You and I have been together too long for you to listen to another trainer," he looks at his faithful friend. "So I'm setting you free."

Gengar looks confused, "Geng-"

"No," Raviel shouts at the Shadow Pokemon. "You're not going with me. Get out of here!"

Gengar frowns for a moment or two, but the frown flips to its usual smile. It looks to Ame, and then to its former master before it dives into the floor, disappearing among the shadows."

"Are you sure about that?" Ame asks.

"Yeah," Raviel answers, tossing the pieces of the Dusk Ball to the ground. "Let's go."

Edited by Raviel the Phantom

Chapter 2: Beginning with Tragedy

Darkness swallows the magnet train as it passes through a tunnel underground. As it glides like a ghost across the tracks, the lights inside the cards flicker on, returning sight back to its passengers. Some sit lazilly in their seats, talking to friends or reading the newspaper. Raviel leans against a pole meant to be held onto while Ame actually keeps the metal wrapped in her fingers, case for any sudden stops. The young man has a grim look on his face, one that Ame clearly notices.

"Do you have regrets?" she asks.

"What do you mean?" he questions, trying to render his face unreadable.

Ame sighs, "Your Gengar..."

Raviel shrugs, "I raised him from a Gastly, what do you expect me to say?"

"I understand," she touches a Pokeball at her belt, "If I had to let go of my first Pokemon, I wouldn't be fine after a day."

"It doesn't matter anyways," Ame tries to change the subject, "We have a strict policy about no Pokemon outside the region."

"Why's that?" Raviel cocks his brow.

"Reborn is unstable as it is," she explains. "It is feared that bringing in foreign Pokemon could cause an environmental collapse."

"So this was going to be a fresh start no matter what?" Raviel says, a bit brighter than before.

"Well, you are a champion," Ame jokes. "A trainer of your caliber should be fine."

"What starter will I get then?" he asks, his curiousity peaked.

"You'll just have to wait," Ame says as natural light floods back into the cars.

The train slows to a stop as it pulls into the station, and the doors open. What greets them is something unusual. A large mechanical device, covered with wires and a digitial clock built in the center. The timer is counting down, leaving only ten seconds left. Ame is the first one to realize what it is, grabbing Raviel to and throwing themselves out the window away from the bomb.

The deafening explosion rips the train apart, turning many innocent lives to ashes. Shrapnel tears through the rest creating a sea of corpses in what is left of the cars. Sirens blair out in the distance as the police rush to the scene. The chorus of painful moans nearly drowns out the cries for help and crackling fires. Raviel opens his eyes, groaning from the jarring slam against the stone ground. Looking up, he finds Ame on top of him. She's not moving.

"Shit!" he grunts as he pushes her off of him.

Ignoring the throbbing in his side he gets on his hands and knees, and presses his ear to her chest, listening carefully. Her heartbeat is lacking, a subtle thump. No one could hope to live with it. Fearing the worst, he begins applying chest compressions to the best of his abilities. After a minute of the rythmic pressing, he checks agian. There is no pounding. He tries again.

"Hey, hey," a voice calls out, "What are you doing?"

Glancing over his shoulder through the sweeping smoke and dying flames is a girl with hair of green. A bright yellow shirt and orange skirt has her standing out like a cheerleader. Of course, the pom-poms in her hands do suggest the same.

"Hey," Raviel says, ignoring the loudest of the out outfit , "Are you a trainer?"

"Pfft," she laughs, "I'm the Electric Gym Leader!"

His eyes flash with hope, "Quick, give me one!"

She looks confused, "Huh?"

"I said give me one!" he shouts loudly.

The electric girl jumps at the dark look on his face. She fumbles at her belt for a Pokeball, but manages to get one free. Tossing it to him, he catches it with one hand. Without so much as asking what it is he opens the ball. In a bright flash of light a Helioptile appears next to him. The little lizard is shocked when a trainer that is not the girl stands over him with such a wicked expression across his face. Out of fear, it lets out a strong Thunder Shock.

"That's it," he grits his teeth as the electricity runs through every muscle.

He grabs Ame's chest channeling the Thunder Shock through him, and into her. Her motionless body suddenly convulses, and her eyes open. It takes Ame a moment to realize where she is when she finds Raviel kneeling over her. At first she is relieved, but soon her eyes follow his arm down to wear he has his hand touching her chest. Her soft silk white skin turns a deep red as she screams. Before Raviel can comprehend what is happening, a hand comes across his face.

Whap!

"Ow," he shouts, the hand print throbs against his cheek "What the hell was that for?"

"What were you doing?" Ame sits upright, blushing like a bride now that she realizes the green-haired girl is there, "And Julia, what did you do?"

"I was saving your life!" Raviel shouts.

"I didn't do anything!" Julia objects. "I would never boom the station."

Ame sighs, rubbing her temple, "Yeah I know..." she then looks to Raviel. "And...thank you for saving my life."

"You're welcome," he cannot help but smile a bit.

"Well I have to deal with this," Ame groans, looking at the destroyed train station. "I will meet you later to give you your Pokemon. Head to the tower down the road, you can see it from here."

Raviel helps Amethyst to her feet, watching her walk off toward the police officers. They crowd around her, and he is shocked to see how well she transitions. The girl with the white hair takes charge as if it were second nature. He is lost in awe for a moment, until Julia waves her pom-poms in his face.

"Pop Quiz!" she shouts, nearly making him jump. "Are you going to take the Reborn League Challenge?"

"I guess that's why-"

"Hurray!" Julia barks, throwing her hands in the air and waiving them around. "That means I will get to battle you soon! Can't wait! See you then!"

Raviel leaves with a smirk, "Well this is certainly a fun way to restart my life."

Along the way, he notices the refugees that managed to escape the train. They all appear to be leaving the station behind and heading for the tower off in the distance. It soon looms over him like a titan, its shadow casts itself over the destruction he left behind.

"Well, I believe this is where I need to be," he says to himself. He begins his climb up the steps.

Halfway up the stairs he finds a young woman that appears to be waiting for him. She is elegant looking with hair as dark has his and eyes sharper. A gray kimono wraps around her figure. He stops, his breath taken away.

"Are you Raviel?" she asks.

"Yes," he answers, "And you are?"

"Victoria," the girl answers with a sweet smile. "Ame asked me to help you. I'm starting on a new journey too."

Raviel nods, following her up the steps. Once they pass through the double doors, he is thrown by the shear size of the tower's interior. People of all sorts are working. In one area stands a Pokemon Center, treating humans and Pokemon alike from the blast. Across the way is a Pokemart, handing out free potions. And down the hall appears to be a labratory area. Standing there is Ame.

"Back already?" he asks her.

"We caught the culprit right away," she says. "He's downstairs in interrogation."

"So does that mean we get our Pokemon?" he asks, trying to hide his excitement.

Ame looks at him oddly, "We?"

He looks over to Victoria, who explains, "Kiki asked that I journey through the Reborn League as a part of my training. She requests that I start over."

"Well, I normally reserve the starters for new arrivals," Ame says, "But I think I'll make an exception, for Kiki. If it is okay with you, though, I'll have Raviel go first."

"That's fine with me," Victoria answers. "Good luck, Raviel."

Ame motions for him to follow. They climb a flight of stairs together, neither speaking a word. With every step, Raviel's heart seems to beat faster, as the anticipation starts to get to him. At the top of the steps, the sight makes him dizzy. Three tables of red, blue and gree sit perfectly in the room. Six different Pokeballs sit precariously on each one.

"These are the starter Pokemon that get handed out to new trainers from every region," Ame explains. "The colors represent the type: Fire, Water, and then Grass."

She looks over to Raviel, who remains speechless.

"Is something the matter?" she asks.

"A bit overwhelming," he confesses. "Going from a three to eighteen is something."

"Please take your time then," Ame reassures him, placing a hand upon his shoulder.

He slips out of her touch as he storms toward the fire table, grabbing Pokeball.

"No need," he says, his eyes set ablaze. "I am choosing this one. It is the same Pokemon my hero started with years ago. A pokemon that I have wanted for years."

Picking the ball off the table he gives it a throw, grinning from ear to ear. "I choose you..."

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 3: Beginning Journey

"Great job, now finish it up with tackle!"

Raviel yells to his starter triumphantly. The turtle Pokemon, Squirtle, curls up into its shell and launches itself at its opponent. The spiky rabbit like Nidoran male tumbles to the ground, eyes spinning. On the other side of the field, a feminine boy looking every bit defeated. He stamps his feet, causing the boots to make thumping sounds on the concrete. Soon enough he gets his composure back, flicking back his long violate hair.

"My oh my, cute and strong," Cain muses.

"Don't get distracted," Victoria shouts at both of them.

Squirtle gets knocked down from behind. An orange pig thumps it to the ground, snorting smoke through its nostrils. Raviel looks to his second opponent, who stayed back while he fought the Nidoran. Unlike the Tepig, his Squirtle is a bit worn out from battle.

"Don't give in, Squirtle," Raviel shouts at his shelled companion. "Let's show her your new move."

Victoria looks at him oddly, "New move? What new move?"

"Shoot him off with Water Gun!"

Squirtle pops its head out of the shell, and blasts Tepig with a stream of water. The Fire-Type finds the attack to be Super Effective, falling down defeated. Both Victoria and Cain are defeated, leaving Squirtle and Raviel the winner.

"Wow, what a battle," Raviel says, relieved.

"Yeah," Cain walks up to him, "When you suggested a 3-way, I was hoping for something a bit more intimate, but this was fun too."

"Do I even want to know?" Victoria asks.

"Forget about it," Cain shrugs with a smile. "Anywho, I'll leave you two alone, in bask in the afterglow together."

Twirling on his heel, the pretty boy walks off to who-knows-where. Victoria turns to Raviel and says, "Come on, let's go heal up."

Some time after, the two of them are back on the streets of Reborn together, Victoria giving a small tour of the desolate town. Buildings falling into ruin surround them, and beggars are in equal supply.

"What a horrifc place to live," Raviel says solemly.

"Yeah," she answers, but hopes to change the subject, "So, anyways, why did you pick Squirtle?"

"Why do you want to know?" he questions her.

"Just asking," Victoria speaks defensively. "I picked Tepig because I know he'll become a powerful fighting type that will hopefully be strong enough to beat my master."

"Oh you mean Kiki?" Raviel questions, remembering her mention the name.

"Yeah, the fighting gym leader," Victoria says.

"Ah I see," Raviel stays silent for a moment, "I chose Squirtle, because my brother started out with one."

"You have a brother?"

"Had," he emphasizes, gritting his teeth. "...So anyways, I'm gonna head off on my own, thanks for letting me tag along for a while."

"You okay?" Victoria reaches for him.

He pulls just out of reach, hastening his step, disappearing into the city.