Dungeon Design

Amethyst

• Administrators

Random things ame considers when she wakes up in the mornings:

Dungeon design! To be clear 'dungeons' refers to the place where i chain up all the 'bad' users separate and expansive locations with wild encounters.

In the game so far, this includes...

• Obsidia Slums
  • Obsidia Park
  • Jasper Ward + Malchous Forest
  • Rhodochrine Jungle + Beryl Ward
  • Beneath the Grand Stairway
  • (technically) Abandoned Power Plant
  • Pyrous Mountain
  • Azurine Island
  • Byxbysion Wasteland
  • Underground Railnet
  • Chrysolia Forest
  • Tanzan Mountain Depths

So as I'm considering how to go about laying out the dungeons for episode 10 and onwards, questions for you guys:

Which of these areas did you enjoy playing through the most/least, and why?

As of Episode 10 I am going to include things like the Healing Point Obelisks in certain places in dungeons, so having to run back to heal should not be quite so big of a problem- but I'm up for hearing other frustrations (expecting encounter rates >>), or more preferably, what makes places like these interesting? The puzzles? Little mini-stories in the area such as with the scrafty gang and the steelix? Atmosphere, sandbox-esque areas, or something else?

• Pyrous Mountain - is my favourite because of great soundtrack, it's well designed in terms of visual experience even if i got lost once (i don't know how i did it though).

Byxbysion Wasteland - it's my least favourite because of overall mess. It's hard to figure out where you need to go or what to do in the begining. I had hard time walking throught that place and memorize several parts of the dungeon. I understand how wasteland should look like, but that "put all random objects you saw to far, mix them into total mess and tell people that new poison gym is in another side of this" isn't very possitive first look on topic.

Edited by Arko777

I loved Byxbysion because of the Lavender Town theme remix, and it was a cool puzzle to navigate, sort of like a maze. I didn't care for the Slums, but I really like the Pokémon event battles like the Scraggy gang, Nuzleaf tribe, and the Steelix battle. Those make an area that much more exciting to me.

Dungeons I enjoyed most

• "Abandoned" PowerPlant

It made a great impression. Those times Shade just pops out for a second while the lights flicker on? MMMM SO GOOD GIRL~~~

It doesn't have to be Shade, though. I love the "SPOOKY" motif and if there is any Pokemon game that can at least partially pull it off, it is Reborn. A Luigi's Mansion-esque dungeon? Sign me up. Now... I know though that most of the ghost types already got their own little event, so there aren't many Pokemon left that can pull off the "Shade" role. (Really hoping Dusknoir will be a side-story boss, though.)

• Tanzan Mountain Depths

Something about entering deep dark moist places appeals to me. Maybe because I'm a guy~

Aight joking aside, I loved the whole "Tremors" feel where you're facing an Abyss and there is a giant monster lurking around. Again, 2spooky.

Atmosphere is definitely the leading enjoyment factor for me. Only reason battling all those annoying foongus' was tolerable was because I genuinely wanted to save Cain.

As for frustrations, really the only thing I dislike is the fact that the encounter rate is so damn high in areas with puzzles. I really don't like solving a puzzle and being interrupted by wild Pokemon every 3 tiles. Although I do appreciate the wild encounter rates around areas that DON'T have puzzles, since they help with da grind.

Edited by Twist

My personal favorite was the Tanzan Mountain Depths, because it had the atmosphere of a sort of 'one-time location'. What I mean by that is, a lot of games have these locations that can only be entered one time. In example, Sapphire and Ruby had the cave where you catch the respective legendary in each one. Locations like those have this awesome feeling to them, particularly because you know you'll only get to see it once (unless you replay the game, of course). I find that the events leading up to and happening in the Tanzan Depths make it more interesting , and give it the feeling of a 'one-time location', with the exception that, obviously, you can go back :P.

so i guess because of the atmosphere?

My least favorite was Pyrous Mountain, but that was mainly because I have an unnecessary hatred of backtracking.

I kinda liked the underground railnet, but really the "rescue the orphans" story part was my favorite so far, so I'm a little bias XD

As for least favorite, Beryl and Jasper wards...SO....MANY.....WILD.....POKEMON! (wasting money on potions before Florinia didnt help, so no funds for repels back then XD)

I personally didn't like the Railnet all that much. :/ Too many boulders and rocksmash rocks and zubats and RAWRGH.

I really liked the Abandoned Power Plant because of the ghosts and creepy atmosphere, and Pyrous mountain because of the heatmor (who's a big part of my team now), the pretty shiny magcargos, and OMGTEPIG~!!!!!!

Edited by Skullkin

My favorite dungeon was the Rhodochrine Jungle not only because of the awesome music (speaking of which you guys should tell me what game it comes from because it sounds so familiar) you had to deal with the Nuzleaf tribe and team Meteor. It felt like I truly was at war with nature and not just some over grown trees. The Nuzleafs were determined to protect there home and stop anyone from damaging it. The player is forced to use his/her wits to out smart the Nuzleaf tribe and stop team Meteor from further damaging the Reborn region.

I really liked the puzzle with the lava in Pyrous Mountain.

And the Abandoned Powerplant had a VERY nice creepyness about it.

If you were to add a mini-story I don't think it would really have to have anything to do with the reason you're in that dungeon. Just an add on for a fun mini-adventure or even old paintings/carvings/writings/ruins with descriptions from the civilization underneath reborn that was wiped out.

I think it'd be cool if you combined the Evee event with a dungeon, as in: as you go through a cave dungeon you find scribbled words on the walls that tell the plights of a person who was lost in there a long time ago and then there would be an offshoot to the main path where the mini-story ends and you find the persons bones but then are attacked by the ghost of him or something like a cubone wearing the persons skull instead of a marowak skull. I only say that because I think that you've made some very good creepy/startling scenes in this game (ghastly event for one along with Shade in the abandoned power plant)

The player is forced to use his/her wits to out smart the Nuzleaf tribe and stop team Meteor from further damaging the Reborn region.

Man, I used ALL them wits against those Nuzleaf. HAHA they didn't know who they were messing with. I just MENTALLY OUTPLAYED them so hard. Oh man I was so smart those dumb woodbirds didn't know what hit 'em. Their wits just got destroyed by my wits.

What? Taka did what? No... I'm pretty sure I just outwitted them with my smarts, ok.

Joking aside I agree that Rhodochrine was a good dungeon. I know that there are these "Healing Point Obelisks" planned out, but I did very much enjoy finding stranded people in Rhodochrine Jungle. The guy that shared his supplies with me in particular left a standing impression. Sometimes NPCs do give the dungeon a tinsy bit more character. I think that, instead of a stone, I'd prefer having another character heal my Pokemon. I'm not saying they should have back-stories or intricate characters designs - maybe just something that sets them apart from the rest. I think it's nice to see hermits idling, trainers training, explorers exploring throughout the dungeons. (Unless that dungeon isn't accessible to anyone but you.) Having people like those help you out and let you rest with them would be kind of cool. You could even go beyond that and have some of them temporarily and OPTIONALLY join you to form a two-man team as you both try and explore so-and-so dungeon. And then you never see them again!

Edited by Twist

Pyrous Mountain was a pretty cool dungeon. The lava pillar mechanics was sweet and the training the place offered was SO useful.

I admit, Chrysolia was a dungeon I actually liked. The disappearing trees that change everytime you go to a different route was appealing to me because it made me THINK about where I was going. (Bonus points for the Eevee as well)

Then there is the Wasteland. Holy s*** son! That place was THE weirdest place in the game. The moment I saw that place, I thought I was in Magicant all over again. I was already scarred by that place during my childhood.

(To those who don't know what Magicant is, this it)

magicant_zps668fa9f3.jpg O_o

My absolute favorite dungeon was the Chrysolia Forest. It was a maze that took a sec to figure out, but you feel great once you solve it. My least favorite so far was Azurine Island. Foongus. Foongus everywhere!

Favorites:

Rhodochrine Jungle: I enjoyed exploring the map and the overall atmosphere of just you vs. nature was nice. I found the part you're trapped in a cage by the nuzleaf really memorable, and the finding the switches wasn't too difficult or too easy. After wandering through the jungle for a while, finding the small part of the city and being able to heal there was refreshing.

Abandoned Power Plant: Good god. That place was hella creepy! The atmosphere was perfect and seeing the deaths was just...ugh >.> And the part where you see Shade and he disappears the next second...and then finally battling him. The whole experience was very memorable to say the least. This is probably my favorite dungeon so far.

Chrysolia Forest: The maze was really fun. It was confusing at first and there were times where I had to search around a lot for where to go next, but once I got the hang of it I enjoyed it. The forest was a unique puzzle and it was fun discovering all of its secrets. The random disappearing items and citizens made me laugh and/or go "wtf" a few times. I admit though, backtracking through it before episode 9 was a chore, but it's not a problem now that the episode's released.

Tanzan Mountain Depths: I liked the way the increasingly frequent quakes and Serra(I think that was her name?)'s dialogue built suspense in this dungeon. The newly made tunnels were easy to navigate and they built up tension, making me wonder what the heck was making them, and coming face to face with the giant pokemon and having to battle it was memorable.

Least favorite:

Least favorite:

Byxbysion Wasteland: I was annoyed by how frequently the pokemon attacked you in this map. There's less grass in this map than other "wild" maps, but I don't know too many poison pokemon? Maybe it's just me and my bias against most poison types. The initial navigation to the gym was too confusing for my taste. Not to say I don't like a challenge, but the wasteland just made me really frustrated. The bright color palatte certainly looked toxic, and it's good that you achieved what you were aiming for, but staring at the wasteland for too long made my feel a little physically sick myself D': But! I did enjoy some aspects of the map. I thought the extras in the wasteland were awesome. It was a fun place to explore after doing the main story there. There were so many hidden locations to find. Encountering Mr. Bigglesworth was hilarious and the ghastly side quest was downright scary. The mudkip was well-hidden, and I like the way you made us work for worthwhile pokemon.

im not very far into the game, but so far one thing i very much enjoy are the little side quests that you can do, and i very much enjoy the fact you have so many unique characters, like the gym leaders, that are not just used then tossed aside.

one thing i would like to see is for your character to get a journal of some sort that can remind you what side stuff you havent finished and where you are in the episode.

My favorite dungeon design: Pyrous Mountain I just loved the lava flow puzzle. Mainly because it was challenging enough to build up Cal as a strong trainer I would enjoy fighting at end as a payoff. Then going through it two more times, with Victoria and then for the Tepig, each time I wasn't ever bored with the area, like I have been for other places.

My favorite music: Byxbysion Wasteland for the already mentioned lavender town dubstep mix.

My least favorite dungeon(s):Obsidia Park + Jasper Ward + Malchous Forest + Rhodochrine Jungle

My reasoning is that the puzzle, or rather, cut maze for Obsidia park and the Malchous forest are too similar. Aside from the variation in catchable pokemon, they aren't really interesting, and I felt like I was just in Obsidia Park, part II. Also, the first battle with ZEL and the first battle with Taka are also too similar, both sharing the same level tanglegrowth. Which makes the double final battle at Rhodochrine Jungle more surprising, and in my opinion, a better payoff, BUT...the jungles wild encounters were too much like the previous areas of Jasper Ward and Malchous Forest. This made the dungeon feel too much like a chore, even with the better puzzle design, and story point that made you want to kick Fern in the nuts.

My favourite areas are the Abandoned Powerplant (the atmosphere, the music, Shade appearing for a flash... and as i was a bit tired because it was late, it was even better =p ), Byxbysion Wasteland (even if i was lost a lot i find it exciting to have a huge area where you unlock things, especially the ghastly event).

Malchous Forest and Rhodochrine Jungle were a bit repetitve for me, but that's probably because it was rainy when i went there, so i was pissed to not be able to use my Monferno a lot. =p

Edited by Soysauce

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping its not too late to reply to this topic since the last post on it is a bit old...

...But my favorite dungeons are Shade's Gym and Byxbysion so far, with Byxbysion being the last one I've made it up too thus far in the game. As far as a least favorite at this point, it would be the 3rd Tangrowth Machine, the one where the Salamance girl gets called a brat, even tho I liked the zone itself, I felt like I had JUST did this not 5 mins ago, and now I'm doing it all over again.

For what I like in areas, I love sub stories and side quests, good BGM (both of which this game has in spades), but in some places I wish encounter rates were actually a bit HIGHER (cept for that one zone where you save Cain, that one was a pain, but the other zones left me spamming sweet scent).

Oh, one thing to make any zone perfect, Absol. Absol can make anything awesome. Completely unbiased opinion.

*Edited to update that I ended ep. 9, and if there's more stuff like the steelix sub-story, that would be friggen awesome.