Rebuilding weather team for E19?

kz94

Hi all,

I'm trying to rebuild my team for E19 and kind of want to incorporate field effects/weather. I'm thinking about a sun team - main reason I chose sun is because of how spammable Heat Wave can be in doubles. The idea is to have a team that can work well in both singles and doubles formats.

Here's the team!

Ninetales @ Heat Rock

Timid Nature, Drought

252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

- Heat Wave

- Nasty Plot

- Solar Beam

- Hidden Power Ice

My mandatory sun setter. I could use Torkoal for more utility (eg Rapid Spin to get rid of hazards) and originally wanted Charizard-Y for extra Flying-type coverage and better overall stats, but the Megastone isn't available. 

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z

Timid Nature, Beast Boost

252 SpA/252 Spe/4 SpD

- Sludge Wave

- Draco Meteor

- Heat Wave

- Nasty Plot

My main nuke. Not sure how useful Nasty Plot is in doubles however.

Blaziken @ Life Orb

Adamant Nature, Speed Boost

252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

- Flare Blitz

- Protect

- High Jump Kick / Low Kick???

- Rock Slide

Protect is for getting Speed Boosts and in case I'm on the field the same time as Rotom. Rock Slide is preferred over Stone Edge in case of double battles. HJK is for Rock-types that resist sun-boosted Flare Blitz, though I suppose Low Kick could be used too since most Rock-types are heavy.

Altaria @ Altarianite

Timid nature, Natural Cure --> Pixilate

252 SpA/252 Spe/4 SpD

- Roost

- Defog/Heal Bell???

- Hyper Voice

- Heat Wave

Altaria is my second answer to opposing Dragon-types alongside Naganadel, as Dragons resist fire and most carry Earthquake as coverage. Not sure if a special set running Heat Wave is better or a physical set that can boost with DD is better, though the physical set will likely run Earthquake and most of my team is weak to it in doubles. Defog is to get rid of hazards, especially Stealth Rock, and Heal Bell could be used if I run Discharge on Rotom in case I status my own team.

Rotom-H @ Choice Specs

Modest nature, Levitate

252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

- Overheat

- Hidden Power Ice

- Volt Switch

- Discharge

Specs Rotom is my pivot. Discharge is for doubles, but I'm not sure if I should run it since it can only safely use it if paired with Blaziken.

Roserade @ Choice Scarf

Timid nature, Technician

252 SpA/252 Spe/6 SpD

- Solar Beam

- Weather Ball

- Hidden Power Rock/Ground

- Sludge Bomb

Didn't really know what to put in my last spot. Besides the aforementioned moves, Grassy Terrain, combined with other members' Heat Waves, can make the Burning Field to boost Fire attacks even more. Additionally, I could run Spikes/Toxic Spikes to rack up more damage. The above moveset acts both as a revenge killer and my answer to bulky Waters, Rocks and Grounds - STAB Grass attacks decimates most of that. 

Other options for team members:

Volcarona: excellent stats, has access to Quiver Dance, but 4x weak to Stealth Rock. Bug-type coverage can also be quite underwhelming.

Typhlosion: acceptable Speed and has access to Eruption to do lots of damage. Overlapping coverage is definitely an issue however.

Darmanitan: another physical attacker with access to U-turn for pivoting.

Venusaur: Chlorophyll and Growth can make it pretty threatening, but is otherwise quite underwhelming offensively.

Nidoking: Sun weakens incoming Water-type attacks and Earth Power is a good way to deal with opposing Fire types. Also means Earthquake isn't necessary, as only Blaziken and Rotom-H can take an Earthquake in a doubles format. Can also function quite well outside of sun but the Poison typing seems to overlap with Roserade and Naganadel.

What are your thoughts? Looking forward to any comments!

My preferred team is a mess of fields and weathers - I can shift between rain, sun, rainbow, grassy, and burning fields. However now I'm thinking about my strategy quite darkly. I think at least one of the final boss battles will be on the starlight and new world fields, and you can't use weather effects in those fields. A weather team might not be your best bet for your first playthrough of the final episode.