For Friends: Ike got buffed. He got a mega buff.

ShadeStrider

I've always liked Ike's playstyle. In fact, if Cloud Strife didn't fulfill his archetype of the heavy hitting swordsman and Roy fulfilling the "Marth-like" role, I probaby would have used him as either a Main or a secondary. I actually like Ike more than Roy, partially because of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, and partially because he's just so satisfying to play as. In fact, my ranking of the Fire Emblem Smash Characters goes like this:

1) Ike

2) Roy

3) Marth

4) Lucina

5) Chrom

6) Robin

7) Corrin (Had the misfortune of me playing Fates before buying the Smash 4 DLC)

They gave him a better Up Air, and Eruption now has Range. This is better than I could have hoped for. I don't think he'll ever be as good as his Brawl Incarnation though, where believe it or not, he had an even matchup with the Ice Climbers. Anyone with an even matchup against those two would be characters I'd consider competitively viable. Just have a fallback pocket character to deal with Meta Knight, because dear lord, Ike in that Matchup was Atrocious. It was a -3.

Sacrificial KO's with either now have Ike getting KO'd second. Meaning Ike wins if both characters are on their last stock. Does the same hold true for Bowsercide or other Sacrificial KO moves? I have no Idea.

They slightly nerfed Counter. That's a shame, I'm a really counter heavy player. But maybe its for the best. It's not a very significant nerf, but its a nerf. Considering that Ike is basically a walking KO option that does his job a lot better than Ganondorf or Bowser, a nerf to knockback on one of his moves isn't very consequential.

And that's it from what I've seen. My copy of the game arrived at my house today. Problem is, I'm in my college dorm. However, after my final exam is done tomorrow, then I'll go home on a train, and once I get home, I'll have my first taste of Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

And with that, RIP his old voice. At least "I fight for my friends" and "You'll get no sympathy from me" are still in his victory animations, but it just isn't as charming anymore.

Bowser was way better then Ike in 4.  So was Donkey Kong.  What makes Ike better isn’t his power and new up air, it’s his speed, he’s way faster.  Counters were also nerfed across the board.

Just now, G'doots said:

Bowser was way better then Ike in 4.  So was Donkey Kong.  What makes Ike better isn’t his power and new up air, it’s his speed, he’s way faster.  Counters were also nerfed across the board.

Allow me to correct myself: He did better than Bowser in Brawl. 

He was better than Ganondorf in all of his appearances, however. This may change in Ultimate, because now Ganondorf also got a speed buff.

I'll always favor Ike over those two anyday, though.

No I didn’t.  We aren’t talking about zoning/spacing characters.  We are talking about powerhouse/heavy characters.  I am not ranking the 30+ zoners in the game.

edit: If you are going into the game expecting Snake to be that, you’ll be sorely disappointed.  If I had to include Snake, I would have to include Samus, Prime, ROB, Megaman, the Koopalings, Palutena, Duck Hunt Dog, Ryu, and Ken.

1 hour ago, G'doots said:

No I didn’t.  We aren’t talking about zoning/spacing characters.  We are talking about powerhouse/heavy characters.  I am not ranking the 30+ zoners in the game.

edit: If you are going into the game expecting Snake to be that, you’ll be sorely disappointed.  If I had to include Snake, I would have to include Samus, Prime, ROB, Megaman, the Koopalings, Palutena, Duck Hunt Dog, Ryu, and Ken.

Oh dear lord... you remember that he was third heaviest in Brawl? That’s where my error was: his weight was reduced from 113 to 106.

Still pretty heavy, just not enough to classify as a “heavyweight”.

He’s not at all in the same arctype.  Weight of character is not at all the same as playstyle.  In brawl he sometimes felt like a heavy because that game’s balance was an absolute mess.  

ah, Ike. one that in the right hands could even mess up top tier contenders. My main in Brawl, my main in smash 4. and probably my main in ultimate (once I get a switch and smash that is). more of a punisher than a juggler. you'll always hear me say it: We Like Ike