Let's talk about smash ultimate wavedash

Lorisaur

Well, there's not much to discuss: Wavedashing IS a thing in smash ultimate. However, it's much slower than it was in melee, making in my opinion almost useless OFFENSIVELY. However, some characters benefit more than others from it thanks to a longer wavedash. I'm talking about Samus/Dark Samus, Icies, Marth, and probably others I've not seen yet wavedashing. Probably Yoshi or Mewtwo will be able to wavedash...?

I'm very happy for the wavedash to be in ultimate for different reasons

1) it enhances the defensive game and makes neutral more interesting. Thanks to defensive wavedashes, approaching will beccome more careful, making the game more intresting overall

2) egoistic reasons: my sm4sh mains were Rosaluma and Samus, and Samus has possibly one of the best wavedashes of the game. At least, she may not be garbage as it looked like. Also, I personally enjoy playing defensively (which does not mean "lame" at all, more like "wait and punish") and I would find a game too offensively oriented a bit boring. Look at melee: all the flashy movement serves to play one of the most interesting neutrals of all gaming history, by balancing good defense and incredible offense

3) the gap so hated by Daddy Sakurai. Sakurai wants to create a game where everyone can compete, but... it would be nice to have one or two teches that improve the gameplay level create a distinction between newbies and veterans of the game

What do you think about it? Do you find it useful? I personally belive that wavedashing has good defensive potential, it's not spammable nor centralizing but certainly good. Also, pro players will probably explore in-depth the wavedash finding more and more uses to it

I'm not a big fan of it. I personally agree with Sakurai on it. Here's why: the gap can become extremely unfair. Some will say that this will "fix" smash, but I will greatly disagree with those people

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Taska said:

wavedashing is cool

theonlythingweneednowisLcanceling

imo if you play mostly defensively you are lame

Well Dabuz and Hungrybox are not lame and I find them extremely fun to watch, "lame" is more like pkfire spam or stuff like that

Yeah we can live without L-canceling ahahah

Edited by Lorisaur

8 hours ago, ShadeStrider said:

I honestly wish they would make the technique as useful as it was in Melee.

Or try giving every character a DACUS.

You may be right, but I'm ok like this. I'm also happy that few characters make a good use of it so that my Dark Samus can rise on the tier list... maybe

starting with brawl i never experienced wavedashing or knew what it was and i likely wont for ultimate, but i dont see it impacting my personal gameplay be it solo or against other people. Besides i already main an incredibly fast character in Marth so i dont see how i would need any more maneuverability around the stage 

28 minutes ago, MachoPony said:

starting with brawl i never experienced wavedashing or knew what it was and i likely wont for ultimate, but i dont see it impacting my personal gameplay be it solo or against other people. Besides i already main an incredibly fast character in Marth so i dont see how i would need any more maneuverability around the stage 

Did you ever know what DACUS was? Dash Attack Canceled Up Smash? A Technique which Snake, Squirtle, Falco, Fox, and a few others used to great effect, to control Stages, and to strike fear into their enemies?

On 12/5/2018 at 11:22 AM, Wolfox said:

I'm not a big fan of it. I personally agree with Sakurai on it. Here's why: the gap can become extremely unfair. Some will say that this will "fix" smash, but I will greatly disagree with those people

That's silly. Wavedashing =\= the exact same form and technical skill of wavedashing as Melee. It could be designed in such a way to be accessible to many skill levels while still providing fun and interesting movement options.

And I've always thought the unfair gap logic was silly. Past Smash games without wavedashing still had skill gaps.

If certain people invest the time there's always going to be a gap. Unless some element of complete randomness is thrown in, which is why stages and items exist.

5 hours ago, IHavoc said:

That's silly. Wavedashing =\= the exact same form and technical skill of wavedashing as Melee. It could be designed in such a way to be accessible to many skill levels while still providing fun and interesting movement options.

And I've always thought the unfair gap logic was silly. Past Smash games without wavedashing still had skill gaps.

If certain people invest the time there's always going to be a gap. Unless some element of complete randomness is thrown in, which is why stages and items exist.

true, there was always a skill gap. But, as novice, you'll have a better chance beating someone like ZeRo in Smash 4 than in Melee. you can tell me "well, you're not gonna beat him anyway" 100 times, but the fact remains that in Smash 4 you will do a lot better due to that gap being about 500 miles smaller because you don't need to be accepted in a cult of Wavedashers first

Dacus and wave dash are unneeded since things like running tilts and dash dancing exist in the game.

And running up tilts was in most games. DACUS was essentially your character skidding across the stage like MC hammer while doing an up smash.  It was a replacement of sorts for wave land up smash.