Getting Suspended from School for Dumb reasons

ShadeStrider

I think I’m lucky, I got through K-12 without getting Suspended. I played into the Zero Tolerance policies’ hands.

Anyone here who has been suspended for a reason as dumb as

Bringing a Plastic Water Gun to school.

Carrying anything that even remotely looks like a Gun.

Carrying a Butter Knife out of the Cafeteria (Yes. That actually happened)

or some some other dumb reason, rant about it here.

The most unfair thing about Zero Tolerance policies is that they ignore common sense in order to rain senseless punishments upon students.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ShadeStrider said:

I think I’m lucky, I got through K-12 without getting Suspended. I played into the Zero Tolerance policies’ hands.

Anyone here who has been suspended for a reason as dumb as

Bringing a Plastic Water Gun to school.

Carrying anything that even remotely looks like a Gun.

Carrying a Butter Knife out of the Cafeteria (Yes. That actually happened)

or some some other dumb reason, rant about it here.

The most unfair thing about Zero Tolerance policies is that they ignore common sense in order to rain senseless punishments upon students.

You say that but common sense says not to do stupid things that obviously are not allowed can't complain if punished for doing something obviously not allowed and with all the gun trouble in america and shootings, bringing ANYTHING that might look like a gun is ten times worse than it would be anywhere else, and even if it's a butter knife, it belongs in the cafeteria why do you need it outside there for? none of those points seem to be out of question for punishing someone, what school would let you bring in a water gun or anything looking like a gun or even to carry a knife outside of a cafeteria? The only lack of common sense is in those who would whine about being punished for these things.

Zero Tolerance is useful in that it means you can't leave wiggle room and difficult judgement on what is able to pass and what isn't in terms of unwanted behavior or actions.

• Upvote 4

common sense should also amount to "not doing shit just for the sake of provoking people and then complaining about getting punished for being an asshat", which is honestly the only reason I can think of to bring a water gun to school.

im assuming this is america, and from what ive heard, they cant really be careful enough.

• Upvote 1

You guys say that, but then there's my friend who got kicked out of school entirely early in his senior year because he wore a trench coat... that he had worn throughout all of his previous years as well. That's it. There are at least 20 kids in the building who carry pocketknives on their person on a regular basis, yet it's the the guy who doesn't even own any traditionally-viewed-as-weaponry type weapons they attempted to ruin the entire career of because he 'looked like he might be dangerous'. The fact that said trench coat was the only form of winter wear he owned due to coming out of a family of four struggling to get by off of just a soldier's paycheck didn't matter in the slightest.

Later on in the year, my brother got in-school suspension for wearing makeup that was part of a costume he had been granted permission to wear at school on Halloween. He even asked first, and still got bricked!

It's been of my experience that Zero Tolerance doesn't care about the circumstances surrounding an affront, no matter how minor, and ultimately winds up coming down on the people who need its protection most. The quiet autistic kid who's known to be abused at home and spends most of xyr time at school either drawing or reading in a vain attempt to close themselves off from the 150+ peers that are all attempting to get under xyr skin in hopes of witnessing one of those (in)famously explosive fits of frustration firsthand? They actually did blow up a couple times and hurt someone in process, so clearly they're the problem! Not the girl who finally succeeded in snapping an arm off their backpack after months of combined effort between her and her friends on the bus, not the 5 jerks who busted down the bathroom stall xe was in just see what sort of reaction they'd get- the quiet kid. Gee, thanks guys, I feel sooo safe from the bullies! 

Admittedly, the ensuing suspensions were more justified than the first two, but they still terribly missed their mark and only made things worse for the years to come. Middle School was a bloody nightmare through and through... 0/10, would not do again.

while I was never suspended, I did get in trouble for saying "I'll come get you after" in the most normal tone to my gf and someone heard that and started their mental gymnastics and came to the conclusion I was her stalker

I never got suspended for all the shit I did

My schools were weird, they did so little about bullying that even when I threw a table out of the window to climb out and go home they were just like "Oh. Maybe we should do something about that? ...Nah"

I did threaten someone to throw them through the window on the first floor after they touched my pendant, but he had it coming he looked like a dick.

I might have been a slightly aggressive boi as a kid, but who can blame me

I nearly got expelled for shouting "I want a chocolate mousse" in primary school because I was being 'racist'. Bearing in mind the school knew that I had several friends who are BAME (Black, asian and Minority Ethnic) so why would I shout something to offend them.

Guest Relinquished

Once upon a time... When i was in elementary school... One of those expensive ones, for rich kids, supposedly well-educated, highly-cultured, with well qualified teachers...

The principal, who was a nasty, semi-elderly, half-crazed woman, was always howling and yelling at me, belittling me and other kids. I never was able to tell if that was randomly, or she followed some pattern, intentional, spontaneous, or whatever...

One day, she took over gymnastics class, ousting our teacher, with some attitude, too. She immediately came before me, started shouting and suspended me for 1 day, because "my clothes weren't plain, single-colored, as per school's dressing code, but they had colorful letters and patterns"... Then she violently grabbed my arm and literally, threw me away; i almost tripped and fell down.

She used to harass both me and other kids, almost on a daily basis. Until the climax of her paranoia, when i was forced to switch schools. We had a field trip outdoors. We kids played "war", using little sticks for weapons and Pine-cones for "grenades". Supposedly, one that i threw, hit one kid's expensive hand watch... When we returned at school, said kid went to complain to her. The last thing i saw in there and still remember, was a furious, half-mad silhouette, with menacing eyes charging at (by then, 8 years old) me, then feeling something like a slap or punch, straight in my face; after which i lost my senses completely and when i came to, i found myself, bedridden at home. She sent a notification that i was to be suspended, for 3 days. But that was the end of the line, for my internship at that stupid madhouse of a school.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm not in America but weird suspensions work just the same

A couple years ago, two classmates of me were going to the bathroom during the break and as we had recently changed floor they went to the wrong bathroom, going to the female's. As they noticed that it wasn't their bathroom, they started panicking, and as soon as they heard the caretaker approaching they closed themselves in the toilet, hoping for her to not find them. Casuality, in that toilet there also was a girl, other classmate of us, and they stayed together few minutes trying to not be found. They have been found. At least, this was the version they offered when asked. No one actually belived them. I don't express any judges but well, that period was fun. They have been suspended, all three