Never actually played a Persona game before... or really any Megami Tensei game at all. Where do I start.

ShadeStrider

Persona, SMT, and final fantasy aren’t canonical or related to each other.  So you can literally start anywhere.  Only reason why you would start from earlier entries is to see how the series improved (or unimproved) with each entry.  I recommend Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9, or 10 and Persona 3, 4, or 5.  SMT 3: Nocturne is cool if you can find it, I think it is on PS3’s store.  Persona 3 FES, and OG persona 4 are a little weird to play, I recommend P3P or P4 Golden.  Both are on the Vita.  And final fantasy 1-10, 12, and 13 are on ps3.  

In Persona 3, FES, and 4 atlas thought it would be cool if you couldn’t control your party members.  It’s lame.  They changed that in Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, and P5.

27 minutes ago, G'doots said:

Persona, SMT, and final fantasy aren’t canonical or related to each other.  So you can literally start anywhere.  Only reason why you would start from earlier entries is to see how the series improved (or unimproved) with each entry.  I recommend Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9, or 10 and Persona 3, 4, or 5.  SMT 3: Nocturne is cool if you can find it, I think it is on PS3’s store.  Persona 3 FES, and OG persona 4 are a little weird to play, I recommend P3P or P4 Golden.  Both are on the Vita.  And final fantasy 1-10, 12, and 13 are on ps3.  

In Persona 3, FES, and 4 atlas thought it would be cool if you couldn’t control your party members.  It’s lame.  They changed that in Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden, and P5.

Thanks. Although the Final Fantasy recommendations were kinda unnecessary, I’ve played every main entry except for 11 and 14.

I mean, I fanboy over Cloud, Zack, and Sephiroth on a daily basis, you don’t have to recommend 7 to me.

I wouldn't compare them to Final Fantasy necessarily. The SMT series has more similarities to Pokemon honestly. Just with some darker themes if that piques your interest. I'd say P5 is the best to start with since it's more beginner friendly and has the smoothest turn-based system to date. But you can start with any of them if you are willing to. Just know that some of the older ones haven't aged too well.

P3 FES is the best version of P3 to play despite the not being able to control characters. The portable version cut out a bunch of content like walking around areas and all that but it's still a playable version. Just frustrating. I'd honestly say go straight to 5 to start out since P4 Golden is the only other good starting place. They aren't too bad though except for P3 you will die...a lot. Gotta love death spells that cause instant game overs.

Or play Cold Steel. It's similar enough to a Persona, right?

• 4 weeks later...

I get the same feels when it comes to Spanish.  Persona is interesting because it has so much culture in its demons and shadows.  P3 has the best music and one of my all time favorite songs in all of video games.