ITT: Post a Smash Ultimate Tier list.

ShadeStrider

image.png.2b66d4a2223e10f733d86c261e8e257b.png

Gotta have my first main Roy's my boy  as first followed by my latest main Corrin, the others in the Gudden are all characters I've liked to play before though I liked Sheik/Zelda more when they were still together or Isabelle who is adorable.

Still likeable is self-explanatory I assume? Characters that aren't my favorite but I still enjoy to play.

Neutral are characters I'm meh about the whole Mr. Game&Watch "controversy" that happened lately was dumb.

Disliked: I don't like em but I dislike them less than the last tier.

Ew: I don't like them, I don't care about them, not going to play them, except Dedede I kinda like him but don't care enough about him.

@ShadeStrider I've got nothing against third parties in general though I agree, it does look like that woops it's just that none of them strike my fancy, I'd say the only character that I dislike of the third parties is Sonic the others I just don't care about though DK could've jumped up to the Gudden if he would start singing songs from the animation mid-fight

8 minutes ago, ShadeStrider said:

@Seal You hate Cloud and Bayonetta, but you like Diddy...

Not sure how to feel about this.

I love the Donkey Kong series + I haven't seen any gameplay of Diddy yet, now that you mention it he'll probably go down a few notches once I get to play the game. Also was kind of pissed off that 2 of the best characters happened to be locked behind a paywall.

We did this on the Discord.  This also has been a popular thing on twitter.   I'll share mine here.

image.png.1ad8a1beffa64491e22c19cf0cba9a36.png

Main Mains: Characters I plan to play the most.

• Incineroar channels that inner King/Alex that I enjoy so much in Tekken and SF3, his bravado and manliness also amuses me so damn much.  Same goes for DK, I recently have been trying to get really good with him.  He is usually my main in most mario spin offs and have really good memories of playing DKC1 as a kid.  His cargo set ups and taking advantage of his limbs is just a blast when playing this character.  Luchador/Wrestler style characters in fighting games always amuse the hell out of me.  I'm somewhat looking at Incineroar and DK as a bit of a "two sides of the same coin" lens and plan on putting a lot of time into them.  I'm going to be playing them and Flexing right along side them as I takes some nerd's stocks. (Flexes)
  • I am also really looking forward to Red/Pokemon Trainer.  I really enjoy playing all three pokemon, and the change pokemon buff is something I always wanted and got.  I am also someone that likes flexibility and doesn't like to commit to a single play style.  Squirtle Combos are fun, Ivysaur spacing and set ups are fun, and Charizard is Diet Bowser/Ridley, and I am ok with that.   I am really looking forward to playing as this team!

Other Mains: Characters I may main instead of the category above depending on how good or fun they may or may not be.  I also have strong character loyalty to these guys.

• Fox is a character who I always land up gravitating towards.  His ability to perform combos, play hit and run, bait, and play footsies always caters to my competitive needs.  Also Star Fox 64 is my jam.
  • Samus is my girl, even though she lost her dash attack combos, I am going to play the hell out of her.  She's been one of my top picks in every smash game, I also love me some Metroid.  Dark Samus/Metroid Prime is another flavor of a character I already love.
  • Ridley has been one of my most requested characters for several years, I have been begging for him, Isaac, and Little Mac ever since the melee days.  I am so glad we got Mac in Smash 4, and now my boi Ridley.  He's a big, bad ass, Ridley-Scott-Inspired, purple space dragon who also has that image of "smart heavyweight" and that's my jam.  Seeing how Firebrand played in MvC3 and MvCI made me want this character even more.  So hyped to be all like rawr and stuff!
  • Bowser is a character that I grew to love from the RPG games.  He also channels that inner godzilla fanboy in me.  It also doesn't help that in smash 4 they reworked bowser to feel a bit "wrestler-y" which is my jam.  I also love his manly drop kicks and his whole "being surprisingly fast despite being big and heavy" thing.
  • Like previously stated I really really wanted Mac in the game, but honestly I am not a huge fan of how they gave him the whole "sucks in the air" and "can't recover worth shitza" thing, but all in all I will prob use him like how I do in Smash 4 and be a strong counterpick character.  He does a lot of what I like about Fox, but with more manliness and bravado.  If he wasn't so risky I would have played him over Fox anyday.
  • Ike is a character I always loved, but he wasn't too hot in Smash 4 with how slow and predictable he was.  I am loving his smash Ultimate buffs and prefer his RD design.  Depending on how improved he is, he may be my power character of choice over Incini, Ridley, Bowser, or even DK.
  • Wolf is a character that looks fun, he may also be my alternative to playing Fox or Mac.  He's not as quick as them, but his technical play and mind games sound like my cup of tea.
  • Pikachu is my first ever smash main, and I almost completely dropped him for the longest time.  I recently picked him up as a major pocket main of mine for a big reason.  He does things I like about speed characters while also filling a role I need in a counterpick character.  He is someone who isn't easily juggled or a glass cannon.   Every character I play is either a Fast Faller, a heavy who can't land, or a big body who can't Nair and can be easily be beaten to a pulp by select members of the cast.  Pikachu's small body and "randomly pops out of sticky situations" characteristics helps me deal with the match ups where I absolutely need to avoid using my usual mains and can't properly counter play around it.

Secondaries:  I am not going to spend as much time here as I did above, but these are characters I also play and may occasionally counterpick or graduate to main depending on how good/fun they are in Ultimate.

• Duck Hunt Dog, Megaman, and Robin.  I considered maining all of these characters at one point and landed up thinking "why play them when I can play Samus instead?"  I mostly play DHD for fun and never got amazing with Megaman.  Robin on the other hand has always been a solid pocket for me, but when I try to take him to the next level, his flaws tend to shine through and screw me over.  Kinda wish he didn't have those flaws, because I absolutely love how Robin plays.   I love me a good spacy zoner character with mind game shenanigans, and despite how flawed these three maybe, I will def play them and consider even maining them depending on how they are designed in Ultimate.
  • Cloud and Sonic.  I was always hesitant picking these two up in Smash 4 due to them being seen as toxic "oh, you are one of those guys" characters.  So I never got amazing with them.  I do enjoy them and they do scream my personal aesthetic and playstyle.    So who knows, I may actually main them not entirely sure.
  • Snake, Lucas, and Richter.  These characters also are in the "They are really fun for me and I enjoy the hell out of what they do" category.  They are only not in my "main" category due to me having stronger bias for the characters above them.  If I devoted myself I could be a total nightmare with those three.

Friendlies:  I like these characters, but I don't love them.  I plan on only picking these guys up when playing with friends in FFA or casual play environments.   I don't ever intend to pull these characters out in a tournament or practice them enough to become a main with them.

• Das Kremling, Das Rival.  I am so happy that K Rool got added, and playing K Rool vs. DK is just a dream match up I am going to have way too much fun with.  He also looks really fun and I wanna play around with him.  His Up Throw is my life Blood.
  • Richter has cooler victory poses then Simon, but Castlevania 4 is still cool I guess.
  • Inkling, Olimar, Roy Koopa, Zelda, and Rosalina are all still cool, but they aren't Samus, DHD, Megaman, and Robin levels of cool.  I still plan on playing them.  Inkling's ink mechanics and splat bomb set ups look hype, Punk Green Inkling is my bread and butter.  Olimar's pikmin are fun to mess around with and manage, I also enjoy watching people panic when the white and red pikmin are pummeling them.  Roy Koopa is best Roy.  Rosalina is fucking rad as all hell, but I don't have the willpower to get great with her.  And as for Zelda...
  • Shiek and Zelda used to be one of my mains in Melee and Brawl.  But when they got separated I found them to be not as interesting.  Zelda always makes me feel "why am I playing her when I can play Samus or Robin?"  And playing solo shiek really annoys me.  Her inability to kill reliably is something I just can't handle.  I prefer racking up damage as Shiek and finishing off the stock as Zelda.  Unfortunately since they are unattached,  I just think "why am I playing Shiek when I can play Fox?"  I am so glad that pokemon trainer is back because I thought the same for Charizard.  I dropped charizard in Smash 4 because he felt like a lesser version of Bowser.  I still like these two, but their flaws just annoy the hell out of me. 
  • Ryu, Bayonetta, and Lucario are all hella cool and I know their basics, but I don't have the dedication to want to master them.  I love watching good players play them and seeing them being played makes me go "I wish I master them enough to do that" but at the same time, I have more fun with other characters.  Nether the less are so cool.
  • Yoshi is a complicated character for me.  He is a character I really really really work well with and resonate with.  But I kinda grew bored of him.  I still play him from time to time, but his kit just plateaus in places that makes me lose interest in him.  I still enjoy using him, I just don't have any interest in mastering him.

Once in a Blue Moon:  These are characters I will play when I'm in a casual environment where we played like 50 games already and are still going.  I really really like all of these characters, but you will rarely see me playing them.  I have no issue with these characters, they just aren't my favorites.

• I love Ness, and he barely makes it into the "once in a blue moon" category, but if I ever have a choice between Ness and Lucas, I am going Lucas 90% of the time.
  • Mario, Young Link, and Kirby are all just pure simple fun characters.
  • Greninja, Ken, and Palutena are characters I think are cool, but don't have any intention of mastering in any way.
  • Villager, Isabelle, and Pac-Man are all fun as hell troll characters, but most situations I can think of that I would choose them in, I would prefer either Duck Hunt Dog or Megaman over them. 
  • Team Swordies, Chrom, Marth, and Lucina are all cool.   I do enjoy them and know how to play as them, but I just don't favor them in any way.  I also think Roy is a lame contradictory character.  What kind of swordy is based on close range?  That's just gross...
  • Captain Falcon? More like Captain SWAGGIN (dabs)
  • Piranha Plant? More like Swaganha Plant! (420 dabs)
  • Falco, Shulk, Mewtwo, and not-as-cool-as-regular Samus aka zero shame samus are all fine, I just don't love them enough to play them a ton.
  • Link is Link.  He is ok.

Rarely Ever:  I don't really like most of these characters.  Nothing more to add.

• Pichu has swag alternate costumes.
  • Doctor Mario is Swag Mario.
  • Game and Watch is a cool character, but I suck with him.
  • Ganon is a character that could be so cool... but they just don't know how to get him right in smash.  I want to like him more then I do.  But I just can't.
  • Roy is ew, gross, bleh.  He isn't even from a good fire emblem.  People only like him because Fiya Sward!  His character design and kit is just so... bleh... He was also designed in a "Fan Fic-y" manner.  Why? Why do so many people like him so much? He's so lame... bleh....  He is only in this category because he is being carried by his Echo, Chrom.
  • I HATE fighting Luigi and Dedede... but they are cool characters I guess... I just don't like playing as them... or even worse playing against them... thank god Luigi got hit so damn hard by the nerf bat.
  • Everyone else exists and I don't hate them.

Nope:  I honestly hate that all of these characters are in the game.

• Corrin is a character I honestly hate the least out of this group.  One reason why is that I really really don't like fighting them.  They are really popular for being really brain-dead easy to play and win with.  It's also feels gross to lose to them.  I simply just really don't like them, and the game they come from is okay at best.  Fates isn't bad, but it's not great either.  I also dislike Corrin because he just doesn't feel fire emblem-y.  I love Ike and Robin because of how Fire Emblem-y they are.  Corrin isn't aweful... but I still hate them.
  • Jigglypuff just isn't a good addition. I like having Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar in the game because they function as time capsule characters that celebrate the generation they come from.  Jiggs also fits that function but she wasn't put in for that reason.  She was put in because she was easy to make.  I also hate how people only want her in because she is one of the OG 12... but she's... so... gross... and toxic... and I hate playing against her.  Everytime I hear "buff the puff" I cringe... if only people knew what they are asking for.
  • Ice Climbers are the worst character addition to smash ever.  They were the most disgusting and toxic character in both Melee and Brawl.  I hated fighting them and watching good players play them.  I hated them more then I did seeing Fox 20XX Memes or Brawl Metaknight shenanigans.   They are just the worst.  They don't look nearly as toxic in Ultimate, but god... why do they exist.
  • Miis are lame.  Mii Gunner is somewhat okay and the least lame.  But why would you want to play them when you can play a real character?  Mii Brawler is diet Mario/Captain Falcon, Swordsman is diet Marth/Link, and Gunner is diet Ness/Samus.  They really are just whatever additions.  The only people I know of that love them are trolls and people who wish their OCs could be playable in smash.  More power to them I guess?  But I rather play an actual character.

And... that's my rough thoughts on the roster.

If you want to know what my "tastes" are, I like three types of characters.

1. Macho Manly Man characters who flex and inspire me to flex IRL, I also like using power characters who play aggressively rather then "wait and punish" passively.  I also really enjoy grapplers.
  2. Really Cool  and Stylish characters with strong footwork, combo game, and combo reset and vortex potential.  I like doing flashy combos that make me feel accomplished.
  3. Characters who are based around controlling space, limiting my opponent's options, and sometime have a little bit of Micro Management in their kits.  Gimmicks are fun.  These characters make me feel witty.

There is also the fact that this is an all star roster game, so I favor character I like for their personality or come from games I love.