(Fanmade) Post Story Gym Leader Team Ideas

Aldanta

There's probably a dozen of these topics on the site, but I thought I'd make my own and share one of my teams that I drafted up. I love the concept of mastering a single Pokemon type and developing a strategy around that specific type. After completing Episode 18 (so good) I thought I'd start making some ideas for Post-Game Gym Leader rematches. So far I've made Bug, Dark and Dragon teams (I'm going by alphabetical order) but I'm really proud of the Electric team I came up with. Granted, it won't be very good online but oh well. It's not like it'll ever see online play.

I designed the Electric team to be played on Julia's home-turf, the Electric Terrain but I think it's fine outside of that on a normal field. It's a Mono-Electric VoltTurn team that has a couple of field setups. I didn't use any of the legendaries (i.e Tapu Koko) as a bit of a personal preference as well as an additional challenge. So again, it won't be that good in the online meta.

So, without further ado, here's the team:

076s_1.png.953e683dd0657f90d1ad8ce05a163b64.png 

Alolan Golem

Nature: Jolly

Item: Custap Berry

IV's: 252 Attack, 4 Defense, 252 Special Defense

Moves: Earthquake, Explosion, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock

Alolan Golem is one of three Electric type Pokemon that can learn Stealth Rock (the other two being Stunfisk and Alolan Raichu). Originally I had Magnezone instead, but Alolan Golem traps Steel Pokemon as well along with having access to field setups, so that's why I went with it over Magnezone. I maxed out it's Special Defense so it at least has a chance of surviving a special attack to set up Stealth Rocks. The Custap Berry also lets it use a +1 priority Explosion when it's HP gets low. This was the main concern I had around the team, but I think I did ok.

596s.png.0030e4e13aa8095b70aa6c28aa7fbdae.png

Galvantula

Nature: Timid

Item: Focus Sash

IV's: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Special Defense
Moves: Sticky Web, Volt Switch, Giga Drain, Bug Buzz

Galvantula is the only Electric type Pokemon that learns Sticky Web, and Sticky Web kind of speaks for itself. It's really good at providing future support to the team, and when it's set Galvantula can Volt Switch away until it's needed again.

479s_2.png.dee3684b1d36a9ed70ccfb3bb56f4dba.png

Rotom (Wash Forme)

Nature: Bold

Item: Leftovers

IV's: 252 HP, 200 Defense, 56 Speed
Moves: Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split

Wash Rotom is OU for a reason. It's a powerful staller that provides good support to any team. Pain Split also gives it a reliable source of healing. Not much to say about Wash Rotom that hasn't already been said honestly.

466s.png.5c97151ce0c43b77ac309778ec59984d.png

Electivire

Nature: Naive

Item: Choice Scarf

IV's: 8 Attack, 248 Special Attack, 252 Speed
Moves: Volt Switch, Flamethrower, Ice Punch, Earthquake

I decided to use Electivire as a mixed attack after realising that the rest of my sweepers were Special Attacks. A mix of physical and special attacks gives Electivire a bit more coverage while also having a strong Volt Switch. The Choice Scarf could be replaced with something else, but not sure as to what yet.

026s_1.png.e970bc4cb2494869769e699b53f2fedb.png

Alolan Raichu

Nature: Modest

Item: Aloraichium Z

Moves: Thunderbolt, Psychic, Focus Blast, Dazzling Gleam

Alolan Raichu is a good way to finish off the opposing team with decent coverage. I decided to put the Aloraichium Z as the item, but Choice Specs work just as good if not better. 

310s.png.389f943ef953c6382f88fe366e2df958.png

Manectric

Nature: Modest

Item: Manectite

IV's: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Moves: Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Overheat, Hidden Power (Ice)

I originally had Ampharos as the Mega Pokemon, but Manectric seems to be the better choice for VoltTurn. It's high Special Attack allows it to take down an opposing Pokemon and then switch into another Pokemon if needed. Switching after using Overheat is always fun.

There's probably a lot I could change with this team (especially if I allowed myself to include Tapu Koko and other legendaries) but I think the team has turned out ok for what it's worth. I know that Julia's ace is her Electrode, but I couldn't find anywhere to put it in this team so I opted to leave it out. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to look at my idea. I'd love to hear about any changes you'd make, or any ideas for Post-Game Gym Leader battles you have.

Thanks again 🙂 

(My favorite type is Water, so I'm really excited about making that team.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/18/2018 at 8:59 AM, Aldanta said:

I designed the Electric team to be played on Julia's home-turf, the Electric Terrain but I think it's fine outside of that on a normal field. It's a Mono-Electric VoltTurn team that has a couple of field setups. I didn't use any of the legendaries (i.e Tapu Koko) as a bit of a personal preference as well as an additional challenge. So again, it won't be that good in the online meta.

I really like this thread. I have really high expectations for the post-game teams of our Reborn Leaders (if there will actually be ones). With every move available and the terrain shenanigans, we can expect really interesting challenges. 

I put some thoughts to your Julia's team. I So I made a team without legendaries. We will miss the heavenly useful Tapu Koko (RIP the physical set with Brave Bird and Flyinium-Z) and the mighty Zapdos. But hey, maybe obtaining these guys will be part of a post-game side-quest that includes beating Julia again. Who knows ?

Anyway, here is what I would do. Most of the team is the same because you did well. That was really enjoyable to think about.

Spoiler

Alolan Golem

Ability: Magnet Pull

EV's: 252 Attack, 4 Special Defense, 252 Speed

Moves: Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch

You said it earlier, Stealth Rock is mandatory, so is Alolan Golem. He doesn't need Stone Edge because Flying types won't be a problem. However, I chose to invest him full speed with a Jolly Nature (you put it earlier) in order to knock-out Steel types without taking hits. Additionally, Focus Sash ensures putting entry hazards against everyone.

Galvantula

Ability: Compound Eyes

Moves: Sticky Web, Thunder, Bug Buzz,

Volt Switch on Galvantua was quite counter-productive as it would break Focus Sash more often. This Pokemon almost acts as a suicide lead with an item that ensures a Sticky Web on the foe's side. That's why Volt Switch and Giga Drain (he is so frail that it won't matter) should be replaced by Thunder (accuracy enhanced by the ability) and Energy Ball. Being able to nuke enemies is always good with a suicide lead.

Rotom (Wash Form)

Ability: Levitate

EV's: 252 HP, 200 Defense, 56 Speed
Moves: Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split/Defog

I would consider Defog instead of Pain Split but I'm not sure how AI will handle it. Thanks to the awesome devs, AI is very smart but I don't know how it will put Defog to work.

Pikachu

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Static

Item: Light Ball

EV's: 252 Attack, 4 Special Defense, 252 Speed
Moves: Volt Tackle, Focus Punch, Extreme Speed, Knock Off (I don't know if all these moves are implemented in the game yet).

I really didn't like Choice Scarf Electivire. Why? Because this Pokemon is neither good, neither bad. It's not a good threat AND he didn't make use of the Sticky Web.

Instead, let me introduce you to an underrated threat: Ryan Reynolds. With the Light Ball, Pikachu reaches 422 Attack. And when it outspeeds everything with Sticky Web, it will hurt. Unfortunately, Focus Punch will always fail in the terrain so maybe something else could be worth it. But if the terrain is destroyed, this move can be useful.

Alolan Raichu

Ability: Surge Surfer

Nature: Modest (Timid ?)

Item: Aloraichium Z/Choice Spec

Moves: Thunderbolt, Psychic/Psychock, Focus Blast, Grass Knot

Alolan Raichu is ok. I mean, it's good. Like you, I can't choose between the two items. (and the Nature). But both will make him a powerful end-game sweeper for sure. Dazzling Gleam is useless so I chose Grass Knot. We could use Surf but the move gains Electrik type on the terrain so Ground types are immune to it.

Manectric

Ability : Lightning Rod, then Intimidate

Moves: Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Hidden Power (Ice)

Nothing to say here, except a Speed Nature is always better (it's no use to hit stronger if you hit the second). I'd rather use Flamethrower because it's useful only against Ferrothorn and Scizor, so lowering your Spe.Att is not worth it because this move is enough.

1 hour ago, Teto said:

I really like this thread. I have really high expectations for the post-game teams of our Reborn Leaders (if there will actually be ones). With every move available and the terrain shenanigans, we can expect really interesting challenges. 

I put some thoughts to your Julia's team. I So I made a team without legendaries. We will miss the heavenly useful Tapu Koko (RIP the physical set with Brave Bird and Flyinium-Z) and the mighty Zapdos. But hey, maybe obtaining these guys will be part of a post-game side-quest that includes beating Julia again. Who knows ?

Yay! I'm so glad people liked it. Really means a lot. And I agree, Reborn will get really interesting if Gym Leader rematches become a thing. It'll be exciting to see what the Devs come up with for each Leader. And I'd like to think that Julia (or at least one of the Gym Leaders) would have something to do with at least one of the legendaries. But I digress.

Also, your changes were really well done. I had a lot of fun reading over them. I'll go over them individually and give my thoughts on them:

1 hour ago, Teto said:

Hide contents

Alolan Golem

Ability: Magnet Pull

EV's: 252 Attack, 4 Special Defense, 252 Speed

Moves: Earthquake, Stealth Rock, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch

You said it earlier, Stealth Rock is mandatory, so is Alolan Golem. He doesn't need Stone Edge because Flying types won't be a problem. However, I chose to invest him full speed with a Jolly Nature (you put it earlier) in order to knock-out Steel types without taking hits. Additionally, Focus Sash ensures putting entry hazards against everyone.

This was a really good change. I had my version with the last EV's in Defense but I feel the change to Special Defense is better since A. Golem's Defense is already so high. Removing Stone Edge and replacing it with Fire Punch was a real good call. Gives it a fighting chance against Grass Pokemon which is sorely needed. The only reason I had Explosion on instead of Thunder Punch was because I thought it gave A. Golem something to do once it had finished setting up Stealth Rock and had low HP but Thunder Punch is good as well.

1 hour ago, Teto said:

Hide contents

Galvantula

Ability: Compound Eyes

Moves: Sticky Web, Thunder, Bug Buzz,

Volt Switch on Galvantua was quite counter-productive as it would break Focus Sash more often. This Pokemon almost acts as a suicide lead with an item that ensures a Sticky Web on the foe's side. That's why Volt Switch and Giga Drain (he is so frail that it won't matter) should be replaced by Thunder (accuracy enhanced by the ability) and Energy Ball. Being able to nuke enemies is always good with a suicide lead.

The Galvantula changes made a lot of sense. I know that Galvantula is (majority of the time) a suicide lead just to get Sticky Web off and I was trying to kind of give it a bit more use than just having it come in, set up and then die. But it still hits pretty hard, so it's not like it's entirely useless after it lays down a Sticky Web.

1 hour ago, Teto said:

Hide contents

Rotom (Wash Form)

Ability: Levitate

EV's: 252 HP, 200 Defense, 56 Speed
Moves: Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split/Defog

I would consider Defog instead of Pain Split but I'm not sure how AI will handle it. Thanks to the awesome devs, AI is very smart but I don't know how it will put Defog to work.

The AI was the main reason I gave Rotom Pain Split instead of Defog, since I also wasn't sure how the AI would go about using Defog. In terms of the AI with this team, I thought Pain Split would be better since it's pretty much always relevant while Defog has a little less use (in my opinion) but when it's useful, it's really good. It can honestly go either way.

1 hour ago, Teto said:

Hide contents

Pikachu

Nature: Adamant

Ability: Static

Item: Light Ball

EV's: 252 Attack, 4 Special Defense, 252 Speed
Moves: Volt Tackle, Focus Punch, Extreme Speed, Knock Off (I don't know if all these moves are implemented in the game yet).

I really didn't like Choice Scarf Electivire. Why? Because this Pokemon is neither good, neither bad. It's not a good threat AND he didn't make use of the Sticky Web.

Instead, let me introduce you to an underrated threat: Ryan Reynolds. With the Light Ball, Pikachu reaches 422 Attack. And when it outspeeds everything with Sticky Web, it will hurt. Unfortunately, Focus Punch will always fail in the terrain so maybe something else could be worth it. But if the terrain is destroyed, this move can be useful.

I had briefly considered Pikachu as an option before deciding on Electivire, since it just seemed more useful at the time. It was actually a choice between Electivire, Eelektross and Pikachu. But since you bring up the Light Ball, yeah Pikachu is definitely better. I feel like replacing Focus Punch with Brick Break would be best, since it still gives Fighting coverage while also being able to break Light Screen and Reflect. I had no idea that Pikachu had access to Extreme Speed (had to google whether it actually could learn it, and I was very surprised about seeing an event Pikachu with it).

1 hour ago, Teto said:

I

Hide contents

Alolan Raichu

Ability: Surge Surfer

Nature: Modest (Timid ?)

Item: Aloraichium Z/Choice Spec

Moves: Thunderbolt, Psychic/Psychock, Focus Blast, Grass Knot

Alolan Raichu is ok. I mean, it's good. Like you, I can't choose between the two items. (and the Nature). But both will make him a powerful end-game sweeper for sure. Dazzling Gleam is useless so I chose Grass Knot. We could use Surf but the move gains Electrik type on the terrain so Ground types are immune to it.

I think it's just up to personal preference when it comes to A. Raichu. Having Sticky Web access makes me lean more towards giving it a Modest nature, but Timid is good if you want to ensure it outspeeds everything. The items are also a hard pick, since I don't really like locking it into a single move since it can be exploited, but the major power boost across all it's moves is better than a one-time one-hit-KO in the long run. Again, it's just preference.

1 hour ago, Teto said:

Hide contents

Manectric

Ability : Lightning Rod, then Intimidate

Moves: Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Hidden Power (Ice)

Nothing to say here, except a Speed Nature is always better (it's no use to hit stronger if you hit the second). I'd rather use Flamethrower because it's useful only against Ferrothorn and Scizor, so lowering your Spe.Att is not worth it because this move is enough.

The reason I gave it Modest instead of Timid was, again, Sticky Web. But either works fine in my opinion. I agree that Flamethrower is probably better than Overheat, since there's no drawback for using Flamethrower. I just kind of liked the look of Overheat at the time. 

Thanks again for your feedback on my team idea. The changes are greatly appreciated. If you have any other thoughts about this team or another Gym Leader team I'd love to hear them. Also, good luck with your Mono Fairy run. I've been thinking about doing a Mono Water run in Rejuvenation, but I'll just wait and see.

Thanks again 🙂

• Global Mods
8 hours ago, Teto said:

I really like this thread. I have really high expectations for the post-game teams of our Reborn Leaders (if there will actually be ones)

6 hours ago, Aldanta said:

Yay! I'm so glad people liked it. Really means a lot. And I agree, Reborn will get really interesting if Gym Leader rematches become a thing.

Ame has confirmed that there will be postgame rematches for Gym Leaders, saying that "it wouldn't be much of a postgame if there weren't".