Making an Octopath Traveler Sequel and improving on its predecessor.

ShadeStrider

Octopath Traveler is one of the most 7/10 games I've ever played. I enjoyed my experience with it, but... it leaves a lot to be desired. This game feels more like a proof of concept rather than a legendary JRPG.

The Combat System

This is actually, for me, the best part of the game. The combat is fast and satisfying, although it sometimes prolongs random encounter battles. The ability to customize your characters with unusual combinations such as a thief and a cleric, a cleric and a dancer, et cetera, really adds to the ways you can play the game. There is no real Bad combination, just that some combinations are less viable than others. I would like them to expand on what each class can do, maybe even add a few bonuses for each class combination, or special attacks that only a certain combination of classes can do. Just improve the customization, and you'd be fine.

The... Story

I have mixed feelings on the Story and characters. None of them are terrible by any means, but a lot of the characters really could use some more development, so that they aren't complete walking tropes, like they kinda were in this game. For the next game, use the same cast, as I actually like this group of Walking tropes, In fact, Therion is actually my favorite of the bunch, even though he's kind of a Cloud Strife wannabe.

More importantly, the episode based Storytelling pretty much requires you to go finish one characters story, finish anothers, and then another, and then another. The story telling, as a result feels kind of disjointed. In the sequel, I'd actually make it one singular Storyline, and focus it on these eight characters having one singular goal. Instead of having their interactions be bonus "Travel Banter", I'd make it a regular part of the game. Having them be alone during their storylines kinda defeats the purpose of having these characters travel together. I'd emphasize thinks like them becoming comrades, having each others backs, even being like a family. It... Isn't like the structure of the first, but It would end up less disjointed, and more heartfelt. They've settled their own individual problems, now it's time they settle the problems of the group.

And I'd write it so that each character can distinguish themselves from the tropes that they embody. Giving them different personality traits and quirks could make for a more engaging story.

The Sidequests

These things are my least favorite part of the game, honestly.  Some of them are interesting, a heartfelt reunion between a son and his mother, anxious sheep leads to a boss fight with dire wolves. But these quests aren't always clear on what to do. And late game, these rewards don't really feel like much. What's the point of Gold when Tressa farms thousands? This weapon isn't as good as ones that I've gotten in a store. To the games credit, I've got some unique things like Harald's Sword and Heathcote's Dagger (Which when equipped on Sorcerer Therion, makes his Fire Damage output possibly the best in the game.) But I would have liked it if we got something that's hard to get. Like EXP, or a unique weapon. EXP given by quests would push me to do more quests, because it reduces Grinding.

...Grinding.

A JRPG staple. Usually it's better to equip your party with good Items (which are easy to buy in Stores, or pickpocket or purchase with Therion or Tressa), but this game still has a lot of Grinding. The Grinding in this game isn't really too bad, but it's still kinda problematic. There is a recommended level for each chapter of the story, and it kinda sets me on this path to grind. Caits help with this process, but they don't appear that often. Having Quests give you EXP would mitigate this. To be fair, some quests reward you with Nuts that provide permanent stat increases. But other than that, not really. Some quests do open up things in the Overworld, but the quests themselves aren't always that interesting.

NewGame+

This could easily be patched into the first Octopath Traveler. Just add to the replay value of this game by letting you take your high leveled characters, and have them fight against tougher bosses, enemies, et cetera.

There are more things that this game has room to improve on, but this is the gist of it.

...Commander is gonna try and call me out on some bs, isn't he? Figures. This isn’t smash though.