Bias, my last Ultimate rant (I promise)

I don't want to drag on and on about this and I don't want you guys to think I'm just a complete asshole might be too late for that BUT  I admit I was wrong to be as angry as I was. I've been having personal life issues and was already very miffed with the situations that were going on and are still going on, so I apologize for my rudeness. While I still don't like what Sakurai and his team are doing and still am not a fan of Sakurai himself I took it out the wrong way. However, I did want to ask a question about the almost ubiquitous response to the criticisms I see from Ultimate, being "They're trying their hardest so you shouldn't be so upset". And that is "Are you sure you aren't biased?" And I'm not saying it's wrong for you to say this, but I see this so much I wanted to ask about it.

When longtime Capcom fans were asking for more recognition of Megaman for years and we got that monstrosity in Street Fighter X Tekken, I didn't see many people rushing to the devs defenses, and when people found out dlc fighters had been planned from the beginning and were on the disc it was mostly the same there.

After Marvel vs Capcom Infinite was criticized, for, well, everything... but uh, No X men, characters that not many people wanted but were chosen over fan favorites anyway, meh story mode, everybody seemed to agree that the game just wasn't good. Not much "They tried their hardest" or "We finally got X in so that shows they care".

Even other Nintendo franchises went through this, with criticism about Nintendo giving us the same Mario games over and over while ignoring long time fan requests for more recognition to other series like Metroid, Pikmin, and Star Fox. Hey Pikmin was pretty mixed but nobody seemed to really defend it too much from negative critics, Star Fox Zero's debacle over it being ANOTHER remake wasn't met with "Well, they at least recognize the series still so don't be so upset maybe it'll be better in the future".

It just seems to be a double standard for me. Some might say "Well, the fans overhyped themselves way too much". My response to that would be, well, did they really? Were the characters people wanted in that much of a stretch to not be upset about? Haven't they been asking for these characters for years now? With Sakurai bending over backwards to impliment a character like Ridley only to ignore so many other fans not warrant anger? And with a title like "Ultimate" and Sakurai saying he drew fighters from the ballot (Supposedly) could you honestly say they were wrongly overhyped? I think the disappointment I see is fairly warranted.

Oh, and to clarify: I don't care that Decidueye. Shadow, Isaac and Geno aren't in anymore and don't count on any of them being DLC. I'm over Incineroar, Ridley, Simon, Dark Samus, and Daisy being chosen over others who I feel deserve the spot more. Yes I'm still mad, but shit happens, I'm done wasting time over it. I figure I'll play the game for about a week and if it's not good, I can return it and get all my money back, so it's a win win. I really do want to like it, but I can't care less about spirits and World of Light seems like classic mode with some new glossy paint. I would be ecstatic if I'm proven wrong though. Aside from potential responses, I'm done ranting now and do want to hear your opinions. 🙂

That last paragraph is a good way to look at it, I feel. 

At the end of the day it's just a game -- if you like it, then awesome, enjoy playing it. If not, that's ok, try to return it. Not every game is always going to satisfy everyone's tastes for sure.

But for me, one more month of the pre-download on my switch taunting me uwu

The thing with characters in smash is that you can never please everybody. There are people who still believe Waluigi could make it in even after everything surrounding that has been disproven, for example. And that's something I feel like some people forget about sometimes. Smash, while just being a game to be enjoyed if you enjoy it, is made by people. No person is perfect. Even if Sakurai went and added f*cking Goku to the roster, people would get upset because "he's not as strong as he is in the anime/Manga" or "Why just Goku? Give us [insert Manga/Anime character here]!". You can NEVER please everyone. Compromises have to be made (granted I got off lucky with Simon being in as he was my main hope. Now I'm gonna get a lot of hate, aren't I?). You may believe a certain character deserves a spot more than any other character, and some people might agree with you. But even popularity can't same some things. and if 1 character (not) being in the game is a deal breaker for you, were you really gunning on getting the game? Just keep remembering that the main purpose of a Party Game (yes, party game. as much of a Fighting Game it is, it remains one with the focus on being enjoyed by as many people as possible) is to have people enjoy it with Gameplay more than just looks (Cinematic party Game when Sony?)

The most important thing about smash is the roster.  Not it’s single player content.  People are going to play World of Light and be done with it in a week. Same went for Subspace Emissary. 

Single player content should never be a priority, it’s an afterthought.  Characters are chosen with certain people in mind.   Some of these characters are aimed towards fans that were let down in Brawl or Smash 4.  Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Heavyweight fans kept getting the short end of the stick until Ultimate.  

This is probably what type of people are interested in the new reps.

Most of the Smash 4 newcomers were Zoning/Spacing, Camp heavy, or Gimmick reliant characters.  Power focused characters haven’t been getting well repped until ultimate.  Most of the roster is flooded with speed or spacing focused characters.

Inkling: Splatoon fans, stylish, people who like “set up heavy” or “big brained” characters.

Ridley: Metroid Fans, Heavyweight fans, people who like monsters.

Simon: Castlevania fans, goth/mideviel aesthetic, people who like “long range” or “big brained” characters.

K Rool: DKC fans, Heavyweight fans, people who like goofy characters.

Isabelle: ac fans, people who like “cute shit”, people who like set up heavy or defensive characters.

Incineroar: The first ever character designed with grappling in mind, manly man character, people who are fans of “strong” or “hard hitting” characters.

you may not be a person that cares for any of these things, and that’s too bad.  Chances are you already have at least 10 characters you like.  So why not let others have something good for once? At the end of the day, all of these “rant” threads come off as petty, selfish, and annoyingly under reasearched.  I’m also going to be blunt, people are looking at these threads and seeing them as a joke.

It took all my willpower to not start an angry rant replying to G’doots about Incineroar being a good Rep. Do I get a cookie?

I wasn’t actually a grinch leak believer. I simply said that it was the most likely leak I ever saw. I gave it a 30% chance of it being true, due to it not being just words on a page.

My personal thought is that single player  content is especially important for this game, given the reception to Nintendo’s Online Policy with the Switch.

37 minutes ago, G'doots said:

you may not be a person that cares for any of these things, and that’s too bad.  Chances are you already have at least 10 characters you like.  So why not let others have something good for once? At the end of the day, all of these “rant” threads come off as petty, selfish, and annoyingly under reasearched.  I’m also going to be blunt, people are looking at these threads and seeing them as a joke.

And if you hate a game so much, just don't buy it. Nobody is going to belittle you for not playing a game they love. Nobody honestly cares. And just to add insult to injury, this affects your reputation around here... not that weird mechanic thing. The more maturely you handle something the better the feedback and responses usually. Otherwise, we will just end up rolling are eyes and ignoring it.

Gadot, you forgot to mention Piranha Plant. It seems like he is the new Rob and a nightmare for anyone with close range styles. I'm not an expert on smash though.

5 minutes ago, ShadeStrider said:

It took all my willpower to not start an angry rant replying to G’doots about Incineroar being a good Rep. Do I get a cookie?

...only of it's bitter and full of salt. Stop asking for attention as I think Gadot and I are beyond done with this ordeal. You want to continue, fine but I'll be chilling with the fun people to talk to Smash about.

Sigh...EA isn't this special snowflake doing something like this. It was an immoral but not illogical move as the mobile market thrives on this. So I don't get why it is important since it's going to be played by another company down the line.