Nebulazure

Ever since the RBY era, there has always been a Champion in Pokemon games. The biggest milestone. The most toughest, skilled and intelligent opponent, out of everyone you fought in the game up to that point; the Gym Leaders, the Villain bosses, and the Elite 4. With this knowledge alone, it's no wonder the Champions have the highest expectations from Pokemon fans in every single Pokemon game that releases. So, tell me. Who is your favorite Champion? The reasons may vary, from competence in battles to personalities and even backstories.

Cynthia.  She has a balanced, varied team and was fairly hands-on in the taking down of Team Galactic.  Plus, she has a hobby/occupation/passion(?) outside of just Pokemon battling.  Reasons 2 and 3 could apply to Steven as well I suppose, but his more focused team typing hinder him for me.

• Upvote 1

@Scyl is also my favourite Champion but Steven is a close second.

I'm extremely bias towards Steven or Cynthia would be my favourite instead; she seems like she could have been us (a protagonist) if we didn't exist. She's just a regular person with her own hobbies who does what she wants and happens to be the best trainer in all of Sinnoh. Steven's got that cool air to him though and seems more intimidating/mysterious/unapproachable than Cynthia (in Gen III at least). Finding and challenging him in Emerald for one last battle in Meteor Falls was great as a kid too, and teaming up with him at Mossdeep is my favourite tag battle in Pokémon. 🙂

Cynthia.

Blue.

Diantha.

Are my top three currently.

Cynthia for reasons others have stated. Blue for establishing the format, being a reasonable challenge for Gen. I. And Diantha for her clearly defined theme and her team's interesting aesthetics. While I'll acknowledge that Diantha is weak I would counter that so are all the others. Wallace, Iris, and Lance are all mono-type trainers, rendering their teams laughably easy as well. Steven's only threatening Pokemon is his Metagross, which doesn't outweigh the rest of his team being straight-up awful.

Personally I also find Steven's personality to be the blandest of every Champion, save perhaps Lance who at least helped us defeat Team Rocket.

1) Cynthia (for all mention above)

2) Steven (because as cool as he is, nothing beats Cynthia)

3) Alder (While his team hinders him, his character is at least on par with Steven)

Way at the bottom) Blue (I hate blue... Ironic since it's my favorite color, but I just hate the character for lacking something really important: an actual character or personality outside of "I'm a dick who wants to beat you just because I'm a dick and want to beat you")

Guest Relinquished

Professor Oak.

He was the true "intended" champion for 1st gen. For some reason, they changed course. He can still be fought with his original team, which is more level upped than Blue's, should you perform a certain glitch.

If that doesn't count, though, my champion of preference, had always been Red.

Before anyone protests, Bulbapedia lists him as a champion and even by game logic, he officially became one, right after beating Lance.

Cynthia of course, game-play wise. She was an actual challenge. Without Empoleon with Ice Beam, I could have never beaten her. And her intro music *_* damn that brings back memories. I was almost happy to reset.

Story-wise, Blue would be my favorite. Especially with that episode of Pokemon Generations that showed the best aspect of this character.

I'm gonna debate Red being a champion for multiple reasons.

1) his trainer title isn't "Champion Red" like it is for every other champion, it's "Pokémon Trainer Red"

2) he's not in the Pokémon league. he's just on a mountain, hidden away.

3) Lance serves as champion in gen 2. and you can say "he's just a place holder" all you want, but that's not the case. Look at alder, He's raoming around Unova, but the second he hears about someone challenging the league he heads back to the league so he can serve as Champion. no place holder on anything. same with literally every champion (accept for blue, because you know)

Just because one fan site considers him a champion doesn't mean he is one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Corso said:

Cynthia, no need to add anything else

You do us a favor in not elaborating on your choice 😉 ifuknowhatimean

Mine though, is Steven and I also will refrain from elaborating heheh

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My favourite is Steven! He's so nice and cool! I like Blue too ❤️

7 hours ago, Sayia said:

Steven. Only fact he have Metagross is enough for me to make him my fav ^^

Also I really like his team in ORAS, challenging and not easy to beat.

Reveal hidden contents

Podobny obraz

I totally agree with you! His Metagross in ORAS was legendary!

Professor Kukui ties with Cynthia for me.

---

I feel like this is an answer that changes for me all the time.

1. Blue makes for an interesting story of how that punk you grew up next to in your little village town competes with you throughout the entire game - but his team is something that evolves throughout the game very subtly. It leads to a satisfactory takeover from a rival that may have been a bit annoying, but a someone expected final battle. In my older age, I find that anticlimactic.

2. Lance is probably my least favorite Champion. This won't make sense later, but I feel like part of it is that Johto simply didn't introduce enough Pokemon to make Lance feel special.

3. Steven is usually in the top 3. I love the guy's personality and his team gave me some trouble as a kid.

4. Cynthia wins the aesthetic award (I've never played a Sinnoh game anywhere close to completion) - but in subsequent games when I could battle her, I definitely understand the hype. Her team measures balance and quality of the Pokemon evenly.

5. Alder is rather forgettable, but I like his presence and his unique choices in Pokemon, which sets him apart from Lance.

6. IRIS is one of my favorite champions. She's essentially Lance but with a better situation in regards to Pokemon selection.

7. Diantha's team is notable because of Mega Gardevoir, which is definitely one of my favorite Megas. However, the rest of her team seems too nuanced around the sights of Kalos. She's not difficult at all.

8. Professor Kukui is Professor Oak but ACTUALLY making the final cut. Kukui's personality and being a professor that specializes in battling and moves made him a very interesting and somewhat underrated champion. However, he may not actually be a champion at all, as the story in SuMo has the player become the first official trainer to claim that title.

9. Hau suffers from Blue syndrome, and while he's a better Rival in USUM, he's not necessarily a better Pokemon Trainer.

Not playing Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, but if Blue's not the champion in that game i'm down for some spoilers.