Looking for a Good JRPG/Game for the Switch!

CodeCass

Good morning Reborn friends!

So I find myself with an extra $60 that I'd like to spend on a good Switch title. My wife is about to start hogging my PS4 for Red Dead Redemption 2, so I'm having turn to the trusty ol' Switch for my gaming fun for the next few weeks at least. 

I'm not much of a Mario or Zelda fan, so Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild really aren't my cup of tea. I know these are considered great games, but they're just not for me. It should also be noted that I'll only be able to play the games in handheld mode. 

Switch games I already own are:

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (loved it)
  • Hollow Knight (loved it)
  • Octopath Traveler (loved it)
  • The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth
  • Overcooked
  • Perception

Switch games that I own on other consoles:

• Stardew Valley
  • Disgaea 5
  • Dragon Ball Fighterz
  • Bayonetta 1 and 2
  • Darkest Dugneon (loved it!)

As I said before, RPGS and JRPGs are my usual game of choice, but genre isn't that important and I'm trying to keep my options open. I had my eye on The World Ends With You but I've heard it suffers from control issues on the Switch. Also was considering Ys VIII but have never played a previous Ys title and worried I may be lost.

Thanks so much for any and all help folks. I plan on hitting the game store after work so any suggestions are much appreciated!

Well, i am a HUGE Kingdom Hearts fan (it may sound out of place, the games are on PS)

So i would recommend you TWEWY: Final Remix (The world ends with you)

It´s a remake of the original DS game from Square Enix ( with a little extra goodness)

So yeah...... hope it helped. (BTW it´s a JRPG)

33 minutes ago, Rum.Iel, The DancingBlade. said:

Well, i am a HUGE Kingdom Hearts fan (it may sound out of place, the games are on PS)

So i would recommend you TWEWY: Final Remix (The world ends with you)

It´s a remake of the original DS game from Square Enix ( with a little extra goodness)

So yeah...... hope it helped. (BTW it´s a JRPG)

I'd really like to give it a try but I've heard it suffers from some really bad controls on the Switch. Makes me a little hesitant. 

1 hour ago, CodeCass said:

I'd really like to give it a try but I've heard it suffers from some really bad controls on the Switch. Makes me a little hesitant. 

The controls were always bad and a nightmare to handle. There are difficulty modes and you do kind of make the game as hard as you want.

As for jRPGs...I got nothing since I don't own a switch...Xenosaga port. Don't fail me, big N.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CodeCass said:

From what I've heard the controls are a lot better in handheld mode than docked mode, but that might depend on how well you do with touchscreen controls.

It's still a 50$ extended port of a 20?$ iOS remake of a DS game though. 

I've only played the demo of it but Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk seems like a pretty interesting Dungeon Crawler RPG. You build your party out of puppets infused with souls and although there aren't too many classes you can customise a fair deal regarding how their stats grow.

Closest comparison I can think of is the Etrian Odyssey series, although this one seems darker in atmosphere and lighter in difficulty. At least from what the demo shows.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, G'doots said:

To be honest the PS4 has the strongest jrpgs this generation so far.

No doubt, and that's where 90% of my JRPGs are played at. It's just my wife is going to be hoarding the PS4 to play Red Dead Redemption 2 for the next while so I'm having to move to the Switch or my laptop haha.