Am I the only one that thinks the Corey story is stupid?

Maddin

I mean seriously? You join the people who basically killed your wife and stole the ring so you get the ring back. Instead of maybe like, infiltrate them? Make sure the police knows about them and stuff? Instead he becomes some kind of top execute overviewing 3 (!) Pulse projects and destroying like half the city, killing god knows how many people. I mean really, it is a gym leader, someone with huge influence and relations to the law enforcement, who has strong pokemon and can even warp himself. And he helps them in an executive position to do this?

Btw. I did like Fern though. "What an idiot" was the same thought I had. 

29 minutes ago, Maddin said:

I mean seriously? You join the people who basically killed your wife and stole the ring so you get the ring back. Instead of maybe like, infiltrate them? Make sure the police knows about them and stuff? Instead he becomes some kind of top execute overviewing 3 (!) Pulse projects and destroying like half the city, killing god knows how many people. I mean really, it is a gym leader, someone with huge influence and relations to the law enforcement, who has strong pokemon and can even warp himself. And he helps them in an executive position to do this?

Btw. I did like Fern though. "What an idiot" was the same thought I had. 

i have a feeling ya never listened to a word Corey said, he is very depressed and sees life as only ever bringing pain and misery to those who try to look for the good in everything and the only thing left he had worthwhile in his life was his daughter and the ring, to keep both safe he joined team meteor betraying them risks both things.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, CrossImpact said:

if you take everything on surface level, I'm sure you get to your thread-title conclusion about 99% of things ever.

I feel like this person only thinks Corey's story is stupid because it's not what they would do in his position, questioning why he did what he did instead of why he didn't do the things he didn't do that they would.

I mean it ain't wrong to call Corey an idiot, but it is very easy to miss the point behind the suicide. And that diary event is optional so we really can only define it in a single instance.

Corey is a one off character so obviously he will be weaker than someone with a lot of screen time to develop. He's the kind of guy easy to drown out what he says bit basically he was a puppet to Sirius and he had enough and took his life. So I think it's fine and it's also the one time a character plot is wrapped up instead of letting it hang for the entire game.

1 hour ago, Mrlolster said:

At the very least, what Corey did was heinous and selfish, he overlooked the pulses near his gym which killed many people, and those fortunate(or unfortunate) few that survived were left homeless and lost, All that for a ring and his daughter.

Corey had no interest in anything other than her daughter and the ring. He was irrational in both setting up the PULSEs (he's a gym leader, so I'm sure he could've protected Heather and the ring as well as the MC has been doing-ish) and committing suicide. However, he's under severe depression, and no one is rational under such circumstance. He should've been offered help to get over the loss of his wife, but instead was forced to suck it up for 10 years, culminating in his taking his own life after he disappoints/is abandoned by his daughter.

• Upvote 1

Man, I really REALLY think I remember hearing somewhere that Corey's story was based off of someone Ame knew or at least heard about in the real world who had done some similar - and thus the character perhaps means a little more to the developer than it does to the player in this situation.

However, I think silent .... at least handful of us would probably echo Fern's....er......"sentiments" regarding the incident. Especially because his gym battle with you doesn't end as expected because of it.

I came to that conclusion because I make my snap judgements with my brain, which is far colder than my heart. Slowing it down though might lead you to at least understand that Corey is hurting. The question then becomes if you as the player actually care. I don't think too many people will judge you if you just wanted to play some friggin' Pokemon.

56 minutes ago, Chase said:

Man, I really REALLY think I remember hearing somewhere that Corey's story was based off of someone Ame knew or at least heard about in the real world who had done some similar - and thus the character perhaps means a little more to the developer than it does to the player in this situation.

The topic came up in a thread yesterday and ICSW gave a brief reply/summation of real life comparisons in Pokemon Reborn.  You will have to look further for the full story.

I need a quick reminder. Why did Corey want to keep the ring at any cost? I was always asking myself why he didn't just give up the ring in the first place. Was he blackmailed by Team Meteor? I remember that they wanted the ring after his wife death but were they threatening Heather as well?

55 minutes ago, Teto said:

I need a quick reminder. Why did Corey want to keep the ring at any cost? I was always asking myself why he didn't just give up the ring in the first place. Was he blackmailed by Team Meteor? I remember that they wanted the ring after his wife death but were they threatening Heather as well?

Wasn't it his wife's engagement ring or something? I might be remembering wrong. I do think the ring had turned into something quite connected to his memory of his wife though.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Candy said:

Wasn't it his wife's engagement ring or something? I might be remembering wrong. I do think the ring had turned into something quite connected to his memory of his wife though.

It was.

According to the diary Corey said it was the only piece of jewelry that ever caught his eye, and so he gave it to the only woman he ever loved.

It and Heather were the only things left that Corey had to remember his wife by, and once you beat him both are gone from his life.

annoyingly only on the path where you get find all the policemen does the reasoning behind him losing them actually makes sense for the following event.

Holy, these are a lot of replies.
My personal problem is not that he wanted the ring at all costs. I'm fine with that point.

I'm even fine with the point of him joining them up to get the ring.

What I however don't understand is how he couldn't undermine them after he got the ring. As a Gym leader he wields a lot of power. He could've worked together with the police to prevent the pulse projects. After all, he had a lot of data about it, supervising 3 of them. 

The police could've given him additional protection against team Meteor and he could get his revenge on them this way. Instead he for some reason chose to absolutely dedicatedly help them, even though he had the ring and the power to work against them. 

I guess it's because he went too far into Meteor business. He knew he was doing evil things. I mean, just the Tangrowths operation must have caused hundred of deceases. 

But he was stuck in his own demise. Because one can't just leave Team Meteor just like that, especially when his superior is Sirius (I don't know if you played the whole game). He was "chandelured in his deadly trap". And that meant leaving his daughter alone. He couldn't reach any help because the police was dissembled too.

5 minutes ago, Maddin said:

My personal problem is not that he wanted the ring at all costs. I'm fine with that point.

I'm even fine with the point of him joining them up to get the ring.

Actually, this is the point where I'm inconfortable with. It's not rationnal. It doesn't make sense. He could have just given up the ring and ensured Heather's safety. But was he able to think when Meteor showed right after his trafic loss? I can't really know for sure.

But as Corey said himself, he was selfish. He made mistakes. He must have realised later he was wrong since the beginning. Plus Heather left him forever. Hence his final decision.

(Thanks all for the explanations btw)

Ahh right, I forgot that the City has essentially no working government anymore. Yeah this could be a reason why, because Team Meteor is powerful enough to straight up beat the police even if they go full force. It really doesn't seem like this world has a police force like our modern nations have, where they could just straight up Special Forces into this, or get police from other parts of the country, as it seems like Reborn is a country of its own. 

3 hours ago, Maddin said:

What I however don't understand is how he couldn't undermine them after he got the ring. As a Gym leader he wields a lot of power. He could've worked together with the police to prevent the pulse projects. After all, he had a lot of data about it, supervising 3 of them. 

The police could've given him additional protection against team Meteor and he could get his revenge on them this way. Instead he for some reason chose to absolutely dedicatedly help them, even though he had the ring and the power to work against them. 

I think Amaria and Corey are similar characters in certain aspects: they're both in situations where they know they're being selfish but can't seem to break free from their situations: Corey with being in Meteor and Amaria's relationship with Titania. They both also have solutions to leave: Corey ditching Meteor and going into hiding with Heather, Amaria letting Titania go. They both choose not to deal with their problems because it's easier for things to stay the way are and it's harder to leave it behind.

Both of them also lose something if they leave their situations: Corey loses some semblance of security for Heather and the ring, Amaria potentially loses her drive to keep going or falls to a depressive rut. 

However they both react in a similar way to the MC when they do/ think they lose whatever they cherish the most: Corey puts up the corrosive mist fields and battles harshly against the player in the gym battle and hold policemen hostage with those toxins after being exposed in front of Heather, Amaria drowns the player in her gym and ignores their choice for gym battle style.

In terms of police, the police are useless at this point since Meteor has ravaged Reborn using the PULSEs and have infiltrated many companies. Meteor would easily be able to reach Corey and Heather.

• Upvote 3