Help Me Decide My “Story” Team

chaoticangel97

So as I find myself getting ready for my third playthrough of the game so far, I feel like establishing what I like to call my “story” team. Basically it’s a team of Pokemon the character has acquired from events or that hold special meaning. Obviously they aren’t all available at the start and Reborn does tend to need rotation, but this team is the one that will be the primary used set during late game.

The first three Pokemon I’ve decided on are pretty set in stone. They’re Pokemon that would hold a lot of meaning for the main character due to how the story of Reborn goes.

Nidoqueen, formerly Corey’s. This one is pretty self explanatory, Corey’s death has a lot of impact on the story and were the MC not a mute I imagine his death would have had a very lasting impact on the MC’s personality.

Absol, Ame’s. This Absol is most certainly important, what happens to Ame is another big story moment that I feel would have a lasting impact on the main character.

Umbreon, because of Luna in episode 18. If the MC wasn’t a mute the whole event at the end of the glassworks I imagine would have the biggest impact on them, so this would be a way to honor her with the team. Two darks is a bit over specializing but Umbreon offers a useful defensive role.

Now I’m in need of a bit of help filling out the rest of the team. The only thing I know for certain is that the last three NEED TO BE a fire starter, a grass starter, and a water starter. Ever since playing Pokemon Gold way back when I was but a tiny lad who had no idea what he was doing in these games, I have always associated the main character’s team with the three starters. The battle with Red just had that much of an impact on me and whenever I do my “story” runs I always go in with the three starters of that game on my team.

The problem is that Reborn has ALL the starters and I genuinely like all of them. So here’s where I need YOUR help. I’d like some suggestions on what starters would be good to fill out this team from a strategic standpoint. I’ve got a couple ideas but I definitely want to hear your opinions. Thanks much in advance. 😛

Edited by chaoticangel97

Well considering you've already got 2 dark types, I'd rule out Incineroar and Greninja you go with a Protean set without (emphasizing) dark moves.

With Absol and Nidoqueen I know you've got some Earth, Poison, and potentially Fighting and Fairy moves down (particularly with Nidoqueen's awesome movepool)

I'm also not sure if you're planning to use Umbreon as a tanky staller (Toxic/Protect/Wish) or as a tanky fighter (slap on a Psychic and/or Shadow Ball)

So currently you've got a staller, a jack of all trades, and a straight up physical attacker.

With that said I like to plan my teams around type coverage, so maybe Delphox (unless you've got sufficient psychic and ghost coverage)/Charizard (Mega Evo + Dragon Claw), Empoleon/Primarina/Blastoise (only for the consideration of his mega set), and Decidueye/Sceptile.

I'm sure other people will have differing opinions

If you want to go with a story-related theme, I'd argue that Popplio is the best starter since it's the only one that prompts a positive comment from Ame after being chosen. It also has the benefit of gaining a solid double type after evolving, and should be a good team member overall despite a somewhat rough early game.

Training and using a Meditite after Kiki's demise (much like Cal did) could also be an option. Or using the police Growlithe, both to honor its former master and as a sign of belonging to the forces that try to make Reborn City better. Not to mention Arcanine too would make a solid teammate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Do you want the starters to be from the same generation?

If so then: Torterra, Empoleon, and Infernape. Those offer the most widespread type coverage and are overall solid picks.

If not:

Fire - Any not named Tepig. All the fire starters are pretty solid in-game. I wouldn't pick Litten either due to overlap with a rival's team and already having two dark types.

Water - Mudkip or Piplup. The best overall that don't overlap with your current team. Tododile or Popplio are fine as well. Tododile though is mono-type, and takes a long to get physical STAB. Popplio meanwhile is Cain's Pokemon, so eh...

The only really wrong choices are Oshawott or Squirtle. 

Grass - Honestly this is the most difficult probably. Bulbasaur and Snivy are probably the best overall choices, but Turtwig is fine as well if you build it correctly. Treecko could work I guess, as could Chespin.

Wow, a few more replies than I was expecting, was kinda thinking a topic like this wouldn't catch anyone's interest. A lot of good suggestions, and plenty for me to think about. Thanks for the input everyone. I was thinking about maybe recording this run so I might get back with updates on my final team choices when I maybe get that going.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Support Squad
On 10/16/2018 at 12:13 PM, chaoticangel97 said:

Wow, a few more replies than I was expecting, was kinda thinking a topic like this wouldn't catch anyone's interest. A lot of good suggestions, and plenty for me to think about. Thanks for the input everyone. I was thinking about maybe recording this run so I might get back with updates on my final team choices when I maybe get that going.

What did you end up going with?

56 minutes ago, Aegisth said:

What did you end up going with?

Haven’t actually gotten around to starting this run yet, life’s been getting in the way but my team I ended up deciding on, well for now at least, ended up being Charizard, Torterra, Feraligatr, Nidoqueen, Absol and I ended up changing the last member. You see, I hadn’t done the Ralts quest ever until a couple weeks ago when I was finishing up some sidequests. After some thinking based on what happened in episode 18, I decided the sixth slot on my “story” team had to be a Gardevoir I named “Rumor”.

• Upvote 1

• Support Squad
18 hours ago, chaoticangel97 said:

Haven’t actually gotten around to starting this run yet, life’s been getting in the way but my team I ended up deciding on, well for now at least, ended up being Charizard, Torterra, Feraligatr, Nidoqueen, Absol and I ended up changing the last member. You see, I hadn’t done the Ralts quest ever until a couple weeks ago when I was finishing up some sidequests. After some thinking based on what happened in episode 18, I decided the sixth slot on my “story” team had to be a Gardevoir I named “Rumor”.

Do you plan on having all of these at the start or adding them to your team as the story events happen?