Is it me or grass type pokémons have a hard time on Reborn?

Krellian

Hello guys, Krellian here!

So the thing is: i have a great fondness for grass type pokémons, like Venusaur and Roserade, but so far i've seen that their life on Reborn is... tricky. I mean, rivals with fire and poison pokémons, gyms that have the upper hand against them...

So my point is: is training a grass type pokémon worth it on Reborn? My main idea is to have a Clorophill Venusaur together with my delphox for a sun double. What are your opinion guys? Thanks in advance!

PS: maybe ill open a thread to trade a bulbasaur later

• Global Mods

Well, grass does naturally have quite a few weaknesses, and early reborn especially does have quite a lot of poison types.

But, they still definitely have their place and are useful in lots of fights. Roserade was an excellent member of my squad for my last playthrough. They're also often good status inflictors or leech seeders for things like the singular "boss" pokemon (other than tangrowth)

In my experience, Grass type Pokemon are poor choices for Starter Pokemon in the Reborn Region, whereas other Grass type Pokemon compliment Water or Fire type starters very well.

• Cain has an affinity for Poison type Pokemon, Victoria's starter Pokemon is Fire type, and Fern's own grass types all amount to grass starters having to find better teammates to carry them through to the later parts of the game. 
  • Your Grass Starter would have to engage in a struggle to out-muscle Julia, and is a poor choice for Florinia, Corey, and Shelly, making a Grass Starter not very effective against many of the opening benchmark fights.
  • The amount of early game water types to compliment Grass Starters is limited to Goldeen, Finneon, Panpour, and Surskit (from the last time I played the game; at least pre-Julia) and not all of those Pokemon have the learnsets to really help out.

However, Roserade is a very solid Pokemon when paired with a Water or Fire type starter, pretty much throughout the duration you use it. I would also recommend Cherubi as a "heavy-toil" pick to compliment other starters that pays off nicely.

5 hours ago, Chase said:

However, Roserade is a very solid Pokemon when paired with a Water or Fire type starter, pretty much throughout the duration you use it. I would also recommend Cherubi as a "heavy-toil" pick to compliment other starters that pays off nicely.

My starter is Fennekin. I was thinking of starting out with Bulbasaur, but i've searched about and found out this "hardship" the grass type starters possess.

Anyway, between a venusaur and a roserade for Reborn, what do you guys say?

Choose a contrary snivy. It may be bad for the early game but the contrary leafstorm serperior is op onwards and I suggest the roserade. It has access to toxic spikes, extra sensory and can be bred to have Hp Fire and grassy terrain which is a game changer

I think grass types are extremely useful to have due to the abundantly useful nature power. Grass types can win a lot of fights they theoretically shouldn't be useful in thanks to that tm. Plus, most of the grass types that don't get the move are plenty usable anyways. Grass types have a tougher time than fire types, but an easier time than some of the water starters. Anything can be built around too. Venusaur especially did wonders for me with a bit of support on my team (Ninetales).

I'd say just go with what you want to use. Reborn just is not easy, so not going for a certain type because that type is harder is a bit of nonsense, just work around that disadvantage.
I have a gen7 run in which i used Shiinotic a lot in the beginning and it was super helpfull. Later on i switched it for Tsareena, which did not dissapoint me either.
I did not know how it would go, but it ended up as a good choice in usage. So my advise is, just got for it.
Just try to get some extra converage with your other pokemons to help your venusaur.