Experienced player, new run: Starters

Autumneverlast

Hey all, been playing Reborn since E15 and recently came back to the game. A little bit seems to have changed (GEN 7!) so I figured I'd start a new run, my current one having stalled out shortly before Amaria. I'm excited to pick up some of the new Gen7 mons and try them out, but before I can do that, I need to pick a starter. I've narrowed it down to:

Charmander (Gen 1 nostalgia, solid special attacker)

Fennekin (solid special attacker, psychic typing is great)

Popplio (I've heard this one is good? Fairies are awesome too...)

Rowlett (Similar to Popplio only with ghosts instead of fairies)

Froakie (solid 'mon with Protean, but water types early game are tough)

Any opinions? Any Gen 7 pokemon I should watch out for? Any new early pokemon that you guys really like?

Actually it depends- as a primarina I think it's useful to have liquid voice + hyper voice because in doubles you may not want to hit your ally with surf or sparkling aria. I change between her abilities since other times you can hit your ally for example if they have dry skin or are holding an absorb bulb, or of course when it's a singles fight.

Alrighty, so I'm hearing that Fennekin and Popplio should be my go-to 'mons for starters, going to lean towards Popplio because it's new and water type fitting in with my other choices. Currently looking at a lategame team with Silvally, Metagross, Aegislash, and two others that I'm still figuring out (Dragonite would be a big contender if it were available a little earlier).

Any advice on gen 7 mons to try out along the way? Thoughts on the team comp?

• Veterans

If you like Ninetales/Sun setters, I highly suggest Charizard. Dude's heat waves do ridiculous amounts of damage, cleanly carried my team for numerous boss fights before and after evolving.

I'm one upping Azery here and suggesting instead Eruption Typhlosion + Drought. My Typhlosion has one shot everything so far with the sun up. There are only a few times I remember needing to use two Eruptions for anything and those are usually just huge Sp. Def tanks. Not even resistances can help you vs Sun + Eruption some times.

One down side is that it will take you a while to get Eruption since it's a move tutor move. :c

Actually now that I think of it you can just get a Cyndaquil from 7th street so nvm, don't need to start with it.

• Veterans
2 minutes ago, Kamu said:

I'm one upping Azery here and suggesting instead Eruption Typhlosion + Drought. My Typhlosion has one shot everything so far with the sun up. There are only a few times I remember needing to use two Eruptions for anything and those are usually just huge Sp. Def tanks. Not even resistances can help you vs Sun + Eruption some times.

One down side is that it will take you a while to get Eruption since it's a move tutor move. :c

Actually now that I think of it you can just get a Cyndaquil from 7th street so nvm, don't need to start with it.

Yeah Typh and Charizard literally do the same thing, imo the choice is based on whether you prefer the raw nuclear power from Eruption or having some coverage in case stuff can live those strong fire moves.

8 minutes ago, Azery then said:

If you like Ninetales/Sun setters, I highly suggest Charizard. Dude's heat waves do ridiculous amounts of damage, cleanly carried my team for numerous boss fights before and after evolving.

4 minutes ago, Kamu said:

I like these suggestions, what's the earliest I could get Sun access? Prankster with Meowstic with Sunny Day? Hope to goodness I get Vulpix out of the Mystery egg?

Though that all being said, I would also have to rework the rest of the team...

5 minutes ago, Kamu said:

I got a Vulpix from the mystery egg so I was set lol @Autumneverlast Agate Circus has a person who will trade you a Vulpix for a Stunfisk if I remember correctly. If you want I could always trade you one after you've beaten Flobot.

I keep forgetting that trading is a thing. I might be able to run with a weather team, but that would require me to take a step back and think about team comp for a bit. Current team ideas are just a loose collection of pokemon with complementary typings. Might be good to run a cohesive strat instead.