Seeking Advice About Possible Pokemon Fan Game

Rainbow

Hi all. I posted on these forums a while back, but I got a new computer and never got around to redownloading Reborn (life's been busy), but I do really like this game. Hope this topic is allowed and in the right place. Mods, feel free to move it.

I have an idea for a fan game, and I have a few friends that might be able to help me make it. (I realize it'll probably require a bigger team, but right now I just wanna learn about the basics.) I admit Reborn largely inspired it, though it'll have a far different tone/aesthetic (I'm thinking bright and colorful). I love how Reborn has a diverse cast and tackles adult subjects, and I personally wanted to make my own game that does both, but maybe isn't so dark/dreary. I'd tackle some adult themes without getting overly morbid. No hate intended, I just play video games as a temporary escape so I like them being more upbeat and hopeful. Maybe I'll talk more about the plot if the idea can get off the ground.

So basically...

1. How do you avoid the dreaded Cease and Desist? I've noticed some fan games get them, but Pokemon Reborn (and seemingly many others) avoid it. I can't help but wonder if it has to do with games that include Fakemon, which I wasn't planning on

2. What other advice would people have for making a fan game? Though I know a lot about Pokemon, designing a game of my own is a new feat. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Hope you all are doing well!

• Global Mods

For point 1, I'd say by far the biggest thing is do not try to earn money off of it in any way, shape or form, and have appropriate disclaimers about gamefreak owning pokemon etc.

Another good thing is minimizing use of official material. like obviously you're going to have all the pokemon themselves, but for example Reborn has very little mention of any canon characters/places, and is also uses little in the way of overworld sprites or music from the main series. it also avoids using the official logo.

It's also often a matter of attention, so it's not wise to advertise/hype too much while in development. this is pretty rarely an issue though (only Uranium and Prism really had this as a major factor I think, but there was more to it than that.)

Ah, the part about not mentioning official stuff (minus the Pokemon themselves) is good advice. I had some ideas to incorporate mentions of canon regions (though it would take place in its own region) but I see how that could be an issue. And you're right, Pokemon Uranium did have a lot of hype about it which is probably why it was taken down. I'll avoid using the Pokemon logo too. Thanks for the tips!

Edited by Rainbow
missing word