Opinions needed on last two team slots.

Ailis

Hello, trainers. How are you doing?

Recently picked Reborn to play again, my last playthrough stopped with Episode 16 and I decided to start a new save file to remember a bit of the past story and enjoy the new releases. 

With that said, I'm trying to look ahead and decide which pokemons are going to fill the last two gaps in my team. The current team consists of (and as an extra note, I just beat Corey):

- Combusken

- Meowstic (F)

- Venomoth

- Ampharos

Theses guys are holding their own very well, not having any particular problems so far (but still early game). What makes me a bit worried (and thus request opinion from you all) is two gym leaders from the future: Charlotte and Ciel. 

Charlotte's field was always a problem in my gameplays as I'm used to include in my teams a water type special attacker that ends up being Surf bot. Well, we all know Charlotte gives the middle finger to water types (or majority of them, you get my point). Not only that, Venomoth is afraid of her blazes. This time around I plan to go around the "fight fire with water" I'm used and bring a earth or rock pokemon to deal with her. A rock pokemon is particularly tempting as it will deal with my other worry as well, Ciel. Her typing will give trouble to both (upcoming) Blaziken and Venomoth, and I'm not sure if Ampharos will take care of her on his own. 

So, I'd like opinions on what to include in the last two spots based on these two gym leaders. Another thing that you may want to consider (and say something about it, any opinion is welcome) is that Combusken/Blaziken, Ampharos and Venomoth are going to stay in the team no matter what. I like them a lot. Meowstic, on the other hand, is a placeholder for any non-Gardevoir/Gallade psychic pokemon, although I'm not sure which yet. 

Thank you for your time, sorry for the wall of text and have a nice day/night. ❤️

Hi Ailis,

You have a solid team so far, and I wouldn't be too worried about Charlotte and Ciel this early in the game. As for Charlotte's team, I suggest obtaining Nidoking, a powerful special attacker whose ground moves are guaranteed to pack a punch against the firebug. Nidoking is overall a very solid pokemon who would be a good addition to anybody's party and can be found in the Byxbystion Tunnels. I also suggest to bring a Pelipper with drizzle to prevent the Superheated Field from transitioning to a Burning Field, but it is not absolutely necessary. Pelipper is found on Apophyll Beach. Golem is extremely useful against Charlotte and Ciel, but it is otherwise not a very powerful pokemon. For Ciel's team, I recommend Weavile or Mamoswine, who both can almost sweep her team clean. Weavile and Mamoswine are both found in Ametrine Mountain. Your Ampharos should do a good job against Ciel's team as well.

I hope I was able to help a little bit. Good luck and have fun!

Edited by NightJay

On 9/30/2018 at 6:00 PM, NightJay said:

Hi Ailis,

You have a solid team so far, and I wouldn't be too worried about Charlotte and Ciel this early in the game. As for Charlotte's team, I suggest obtaining Nidoking, a powerful special attacker whose ground moves are guaranteed to pack a punch against the firebug. Nidoking is overall a very solid pokemon who would be a good addition to anybody's party and can be found in the Byxbystion Tunnels. I also suggest to bring a Pelipper with drizzle to prevent the Superheated Field from transitioning to a Burning Field, but it is not absolutely necessary. Pelipper is found on Apophyll Beach. Golem is extremely useful against Charlotte and Ciel, but it is otherwise not a very powerful pokemon. For Ciel's team, I recommend Weavile or Mamoswine, who both can almost sweep her team clean. Weavile and Mamoswine are both found in Ametrine Mountain. Your Ampharos should do a good job against Ciel's team as well.

I hope I was able to help a little bit. Good luck and have fun!

You surely helped, Jay. Thank you for that. I'm about to enter the point of no return in the Circus and prepared your suggestions for the upcoming gyms. Golem is one I'm enjoying a lot and can see it in my team for a very long while. 

Once agains, thanks for the suggestions!