Help completing the team

kithas

Hi! I usually have a Sandstorm team to go through Reborn, but I've tried to start another different team for the sake of versatility. I've started with a defensive core with Toxapex and Tangrowth which gave me good results on the Grand Hall trainers, but I'm not sure how should I complete the team...

What I've got:

Spoiler

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Regenerator  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 100 SpA / 152 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Giga Drain  
- Knock Off  
- Nature Power  
- Bulldoze

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet  
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Scald  
- Toxic Spikes  
- Recover  
- Haze

I've thought about adding some Heal Bell (Support Blissey) to help with status effects, or a lead like Skarmory with Stealth Rock for poison-types and steel-types and Defog to erase their entry hazards, or maybe I would need some offensive power. I'm pretty much undecided about the roles I would need so I'd be glad if you could advise me ☺️

22 minutes ago, kithas said:

Hi! I usually have a Sandstorm team to go through Reborn, but I've tried to start another different team for the sake of versatility. I've started with a defensive core with Toxapex and Tangrowth which gave me good results on the Grand Hall trainers, but I'm not sure how should I complete the team...

What I've got:

Hide contents

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 100 SpA / 152 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Giga Drain  
- Knock Off  
- Nature Power  
- Bulldoze

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet  
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Scald  
- Toxic Spikes  
- Recover  
- Haze

I've thought about adding some Heal Bell (Support Blissey) to help with status effects, or a lead like Skarmory with Stealth Rock for poison-types and steel-types and Defog to erase their entry hazards, or maybe I would need some offensive power. I'm pretty much undecided about the roles I would need so I'd be glad if you could advise me ☺️

Well, if you add Blissey and/or Skarmory, you´re going to sit there all day. And especially in fights with field effects, stall doesn´t really work, since the damage output is just too big.

Defensively, the Toxapex/Tangrowth core is very good and pretty much all you need. Concerning offense, you´ll probably want 1-2 sweepers, that can double as wallbreakers (good bulk, very good offense, mixed-offensive typing and a good set-up move). For the Sweepers to do their job, you should also add one dedicated wallbreaker (same stat distribution but choice item (specs or band) instead of set-up moves). Lasty you should add something to handle fast opponents (very high speed, good offense, choice scarf (if you have it, alternatively speed boosting ability like sand rush)).

Example:

- toxapex

- tangrowth

- sweeper 1: tyranitar (dragon dance)

- sweeper 2: volcarona (quiver dance)

- wallbreaker: medicham (choice band)

- cleaner: excadrill (sand rush)

This is by no means a top level team, but it kinda illustrates the basic idea of this kind of team composition.

On a last note: I´m not fully convinced, that defensive cores are the way to go in-game. I had much better success with offensive teams.

For in-game battles, stall/defense is hard to pull off and requires very good pokemon but is duable. I've had a very satisfying run with Gastrodon, Venusaur and other defensive mons. However, defensive cores are especially good in online battles. Toxapex is probably the strongest pokemon in the tier straight after Aegislash and Naganadel, and Tangrowth is an interesting pick too, and nature power comes so much in help with random field. Gliscor and Skarmory are both very good pokemon but I suggest you to play Gliscor or maybe both of them to get more type coverage. As for the mega, CharX is the best mega to fit in the team as is the best setup sweeper, the best mega after Mawile (that wouldn't fit much your team) and one of the strongest fire types. You can also play Volcarona however if you have another mega in mind. As a last slot, you can play a supporter like Silvally Z-parting shot or Clefable

Of course this ideas are for OU battles, not for the story

Edited by Lorisaur

Thanks! I'm not experienced putting together good teams, so that's why I was interested in knowing the positions I should fill more than the specific mons haha

The fact is that I'm already running Excadrill on the Sandstorm version so I will try to pick another one (but I agree it's a very good option) I will try to fill those roles and consider offensive Megas such as CharX... Thank you very much 🙂

15 minutes ago, kithas said:

Thanks! I'm not experienced putting together good teams, so that's why I was interested in knowing the positions I should fill more than the specific mons haha

The fact is that I'm already running Excadrill on the Sandstorm version so I will try to pick another one (but I agree it's a very good option) I will try to fill those roles and consider offensive Megas such as CharX... Thank you very much 🙂

Ya, I was by no means suggesting to use the mons I mentioned. I just wanted to illustrate what mons 'could' fill the roles, so that you get an idea of what the roles should look like.

Okay, so I tried to follow your advise, I got Quiver Dance Volcarona as Sp. Sweeper, DDance Dragonite as Physical Sweeper, Mega Gardevoir as Wallbreaker and Scizor as a cleaner afterwards. As I'm still training them I'm not at all decided as if I made the right choices (Gardevoir seems a lot fragile on my mind, and the two sweepers could find a x4 weakness pretty easy...) I was looking at something physical as Mega Aggron, because of the Ability Filter, but I don't really know...

What about playing Toxapex and MVenusaur? They provide the defensive type-coverage that your sweepers need. As a last slot, I suggest a support like Clefable or idk

Oh right... I forgot you were starting from Toxapex and Tangrowth. Well... they are good ahahah

Edited by Lorisaur

Thanks! I started using tangrowth because Regenerator (to pivot between the two) and I was thinking about using something like a Clefable, yes, but the lack of some moves could be problematic... I'm also considering to use a reuniclus?