Team building help

harrystone

Hello people,

I just got to the point where you have to fight 

Spoiler

cain and shelly. I managed to beat them a few times, but the honchkrow in the next battle just absolutely destroys me. and apparently there is another double battle afterwards?! oh god..

So I thought now is the time to switch up/improve my team and also get ready for the final(?) episode.

I always just used the pokemon I thought looked cool and that I liked and never gave much about strategy or specific moves.

Some battles took me a lot of resets and luck so I even learned about IV/EVs and trained them, but I think I really need some changes now.

So first here is what I use:

magnezoneanalytic/hasty - light screen, discharge, zap cannon, flash cannon - 139 hp, 252 sp atk, 110 spd
golurk: iron fist/mild - shadow punch, fly, earthquake, hammer arm - 181 hp, 252 atk, 70 spd
houndoom: flash fire/relaxed - dark pulse, sunny day, flamethrower, nasty plot - 50 hp, 252 sp atk, 205 spd
gardevoir: synchronize/adamant - psychic, moonblast, hypnosis, calm mind - 66 hp, 252 sp atk, 186 spd
toxicroak: poison touch/sassy - venoshock, poison jab, sucker punch, drain punch - 57 hp, 252 atk, 192 spd
kingdra: swift swim/mild - surf, rain dance, dragon pulse, hydro pump - 78 hp, 252 sp atk, 176 spd

I also have used/plan to use:

noivern: infiltrator/bold - hurricane, fly, roost, dragon pulse - 54 hp, 252 sp atk, 200 spd
garchomp: rough skin/adamant - crunch, dragon claw, dig, outrage

Carracosta: solid rock/brave - waterfall, Rock slide/stone edge, rain dance, shell smash (earthquake, ice beam/blizzard)
Mamoswine: snow cloak/relaxed - earthquake, ice beam(fang), stone edge/blizzard, hail)
Golem: sand veil/careful - earthquake, stone dege, double edge(rock head), stealth rock

So where can I improve?

You can just suggest anything really, pokemon/moves/EVs/items, whatever 🙂

Thank you and I'm looking forward to it!

PS:

How come that other pokemon are often still faster then mine or one shot me with a non-stab/normal-effective move and I don't kill them with a stab/very-effective one,

even if they are like 5 lvls below me? Is it because of defense/hp EVs? Are the AI pokemon trained that well, because sometimes I just feel like its totally unfair 😄

Here are the Pokemon I think will be best. 

Replace Golurk for Garchomp. 

Get yourself a mega Gardevoir. 

Replace Houndoom for Volcarona. 

Replace Kingdra with Greninja 

Replace Toxicroak with Mamoswine 

Keep your Magnezone. 

You now have two ground types but Mamoswine is pretty bulky so if you don't get hit by it's weaknesses, you should be good. 

I have some suggestions for you:

Spoiler

1) Check to see which natures are beneficial for your mons. Adamant Gardevoir is considered the worst possible nature for it, as that particular nature lowers it's special attack. Probably why you don't one shot with super effective moves.

2) At the beginning of the battle. Shelly's Ribombee will use Sticky Web. That's likely why everything outspeeds you. There are, however, some ways you can negate this: mainly with Defog. Your Noivern should be able to learn it. You can send it out to get rid of Sticky Webs, therefore prevent your mons from losing speed. The other option is to send out Kingdra, use Rain Dance, and blast everyone away with water attacks.

3) Adjust your team. I think your most optimal team you can have at this point would be (based on what you have or could have)

Gardevoir (fix the nature please)

Magnezone

Houndoom

Kingdra

Any Defog user (Noivern works, but I'd recommend you catch something better; Talonflame perhaps?)

Mimikyu (it does pretty well against fights two and three)

4) This isn't really a tip, but a question: what's your starter? Perhaps it could help, as well.

4 hours ago, JokingHydra said:

Are you talking about the one in 

Hide contents

Valor mountain? Oh wait is this reborn or rejuvenation? I forget.

Spoiler

reborn, E18, route 4 magma base

but its not only that fight in particular, I want a better team overall 🙂

4 hours ago, Zander said:

Here are the Pokemon I think will be best. 

Replace Golurk for Garchomp. 

Get yourself a mega Gardevoir. 

Replace Houndoom for Volcarona. 

Replace Kingdra with Greninja 

Replace Toxicroak with Mamoswine 

Keep your Magnezone. 

You now have two ground types but Mamoswine is pretty bulky so if you don't get hit by it's weaknesses, you should be good. 

sounds good, but I don't think I can get volcarona, cause I got something else from the egg.

and since my starter was Cyndaquil I think greninja is impossible too...

2 hours ago, Filthy Casual said:

I have some suggestions for you:

Hide contents

1) Check to see which natures are beneficial for your mons. Adamant Gardevoir is considered the worst possible nature for it, as that particular nature lowers it's special attack. Probably why you don't one shot with super effective moves.

2) At the beginning of the battle. Shelly's Ribombee will use Sticky Web. That's likely why everything outspeeds you. There are, however, some ways you can negate this: mainly with Defog. Your Noivern should be able to learn it. You can send it out to get rid of Sticky Webs, therefore prevent your mons from losing speed. The other option is to send out Kingdra, use Rain Dance, and blast everyone away with water attacks.

3) Adjust your team. I think your most optimal team you can have at this point would be (based on what you have or could have)

Gardevoir (fix the nature please)

Magnezone

Houndoom

Kingdra

Any Defog user (Noivern works, but I'd recommend you catch something better; Talonflame perhaps?)

Mimikyu (it does pretty well against fights two and three)

4) This isn't really a tip, but a question: what's your starter? Perhaps it could help, as well.

1) ok I will fix the nature and look at the other ones too!

2) yeah I realized that sticky web, defog sounds good!

3) I'm was using talonflame in rejuvenation but dropped it, is it really that good?

4) typhlosion but I thought it got weak and droppped it

2 minutes ago, harrystone said:

3) I'm was using talonflame in rejuvenation but dropped it, is it really that good?

In Reborn, when you catch it as a Fletchling, it sucks sucks. It doesn't get the moves that make it a beast until later. However, when it does get those moves, hot damn, Talonflame's powerful. Gale Wings (assuming Talonflame has full health) gives it priority on flying moves. It's fast as it is, anyway, so it can help.

9 hours ago, harrystone said:

sounds good, but I don't think I can get volcarona, cause I got something else from the egg.

and since my starter was Cyndaquil I think greninja is impossible too...

Volcarona and Greninja have their own events so you can catch them whenever you want. 

11 hours ago, harrystone said:

Spoiler

You can get Volcorona. Go into the cave past Beryl Cemetary and use rock climb there. You'll get an event to catch a Larvesta.

As to the battle, I'd drop Gardevoir and Toxicroak for this battle. Cain's poison types and the Dark types of the second battle just wreck her unfortunately. Meanwhile a buncha her attacks just aren't good against the teams to come due to typing. Replace her with Mamoswine for this battle. Coincidentally Mamoswine should be able to take out Honchkrow without too much difficulty. Toxicroak meanwhile will get absolutely DESTROYED in the next battle since there are a buncha psychic types.

I'd recommend Poison Heal Breloom with a Toxic Orb, Spore and Brick Break,  (this is my go-to suggestion for this battle actually). Breloom can wall the Umbreon of the second battle indefinitely, and finish it whenever it feels like. In the third battle it can put that annoying pink fairy to sleep and allow you to concentrate your attacks on the ice team, and then you are left with just a 6v6 battle, only you have two Pokemon out and they have one.

Oh, and when you win the second battle any Pokemon not knocked out are healed to full. So try to revive them all against that Umbreon I mentioned. It will make the final battle significantly easier.