Help With Shelley

Jayttt

I need so much help with this gym leader, I am not even knocking out 3 of her pokemon before I'm out.

My current team is:

Ampharos lvl. 34: Confuse ray, thunder wave, electro ball, charge beam

Growlithe lvl. 33: Flame Burst, Fire fang, retaliate, reversal

Torterra lvl: 34: Earthquake, razor leaf, bite, mega drain

Raticate lvl: 32: Hyper fang, crunch, sucker punch, cut

Beautifly lvl: 33: Silver wind, whirlwind, giga drain, air cutter

Graveler lvl: 32: Stealth rock, smack down, bulldoze, self destruct

I have looked at other guides online. I will make sure to lvl ampharos to 35 to learn power gem and get her back down, but that obviously won't be enough. The rain dance keeps my growlithe from flame bursting the field, my graveler and beautifly pretty much get one shot, and torterra can survive a bit, but does not do much damage do to typing. Any advice would be helpful. It's discouraging that I'm not coming anywhere close, and I definitely don't want to start over. Any advice is appreciated! 

I actually don't remember if rain dance negates burning field. I just remember I used Fake Out on the Illumise and my Slugma got one shot by the second mon or something. That Masquerain should have a water move.

I set up electric terrain instead with Ampharos. Swoobat was also helpful in that battle.

My team at that time: Swoobat / Ampharos / Hariyama / Slugma / Venusaur and a lvl 16 Lombre for Fake Out.

What I advice: 

- Level Ampharos and Growlithe to 35.

- Graveler won't do much since most of her mons are special attackers. Either get sturdy on it or only bring it in on the Anorith so you can smack down that thing. (Only if you know you kill the second mon before it can attack.)

- If I remember correctly, Anorith has a seed. Don't attack it first turn since it works like a free protect turn 1. Give this seed to Growlithe as well so you are guaranteed to set the field on fire.

- Replace Beautifly by a fast flying / fire type. Camerupt also murders half her team but it's slow. Trubbish can also be an option. Level it to 36 to evolve and get it back down to 35. It has toxic spikes for extra damage.)

- Box Torterra for this fight and replace it with a fake out user to stop Illumise. (Meowth, Lombre, Espurr learn it early).

I shouldn't teach growlithe flamethrower at level 35 correct? He's a physical attacker after all. I can replace beautifly and get a staraptor. If I use trubbish, toxic spikes won't affect most of her pokemon since they are flying. Finally, what seed should I give to growlithe?

The Seed in Question is the Telluric Seed, which boosts the user's Attack by one stage and applies Spiky Shield to them for the first turn that they're on the field. With that in mind, Flamethrower probably won't be too helpful in this fight (though it'll be useful afterwards until it can pick up Flare Blitz).

If you have no way to prevent Rain from being set up before you can combust her Field somehow, you aren't necessarily out of luck in terms of stealing it from her. If you have a Heart Scale on hand, it might be worthwhile to reteach your ampharos Electric Terrain over at the Onyx Ward (note that you'll need to find the lady's misplaced House Key to access the service) so that you can deny her anorith access to its Telluric Seed. It's almost certainly better to go the other way, however, since Faking Out her illumise will buy you the time you need for your growlithe to set it aflame and she has no way to put out the flames once they're active.

So the things I should change are:

1. Lvl up to around 35, esp ampharos for power gem. 

2. Trade torterra for espur with fakeout

3. Put telluric seed on growlithe (is it a one time use?)

4. Get a flying type (I’ll get a star apt or probably) and replace someone (any ideas?)

A) Yes, the Telluric Seed is used up when it triggers. And yes, this specific detail gets used against you in a later fight...

B) Starly is only available through the Mystery Egg in the Jasper Ward (only accessible if you rescued all the officers) at your current point of the game. You do have access to pidgeotto (Jasper Ward) in any case (pidgeot if you level it past the cap and Common Candy it back down), as are vivillon and fearow (both in the Beryl Ward).

Tried it with my same team, just switched torterra with fake out espurr and used the seed on growlithe. I already I see a massive difference! Got to her final pokemon and just barely lost. Thanks so much for all of your help guys!