Reborn Mac Guide 2: Electric Boogaloo (2 Methods in One)!

Tacos

Hello Reborn!  Your local Mac semi-knowledgeable friend is back again with a revamped Mac Guide, this time combining an updated version of my original method as well as Ashk5's Wineskin approach into one thread for everyone's ease of accessibility.  With Episode 18's Public Release, I thought it would be ideal for all the information to be updated and readily available.  Before I begin to outline the steps in either process, I'll run through the Pros and Cons of each approach so you can decide which method is preferable, or if you're like me, utilize both.

Wine Method:

Pros:

• Only one installation process required to play multiple games (Reborn, Rejuvenation, Spork, etc.) or different updates (Episode 17-18 for example)
  • Slightly shorter installation process
  • Less to install 
  • Compatible with High Sierra

Cons:

• Has shown to be a bit laggier
  • Files can be difficult to locate if not organized correctly

Wineskin Method:

Pros:

• Less prone to lagging/crashing
  • Files are all in one location and therefore easy to locate

Cons:

• Slightly longer installation process
  • More to install
  • Must create a new wrapper for each different game or update.
  • Incompatible with High Sierra, but can be tweaked slightly to work properly.

Now without further ado, I present the guides to each approach, starting first with the...

Wine Method

Step 1: 

Download Pokemon Reborn Episode 18.  Unzip the file and place the folder on your desktop for ease of access.

Step 2:

Go here to download Wine and Winebottler.  I suggest using 1.8.6 as it is known to be more stable and therefore more reliable and less prone to errors.

Step 3:

Open your newly downloaded WineBottlerCombo_1.8.6.dmg and a window that looks like this should appear:

Spoiler

859016742_ScreenShot2018-08-22at6_23_07PM.png.0ef6175dba9afb07f2f390de10e1c562.png

Drag Wine and WineBottler into the Applications folder.

Step 4:

Open Wine from your Applications folder.  Upon doing so, three windows should pop up: Wine - Winetricks, Wine - General Preferences, and Wine - Change Prefix.  Close out of the first two, as they don't necessarily pertain to this process.  Your Wine - Change Prefix window will look something like this (note: I have two wine files folders here, one for each account on my laptop.  You won't need to have two).

Spoiler

775697734_ScreenShot2018-08-22at6_56_23PM.png.236fb8dd7c704657c45585494aeb15b7.png

Click Add.  From there, title your prefix as "Wine Files" in "Save As:" and choose where you'd like this prefix to be located in "Where."  I prefer to keep mine in my home folder as it's not very cluttered and makes locating it easy.  The purpose of this is to choose a location from which you can find your Saved Games folder to locate your save files.

Step 5:

Go to your unzipped Pokemon Reborn folder and open Game.exe using Wine, and if you did not uncheck "Show dialog when Wine should open files," a window like this should appear:

Spoiler

2113631564_ScreenShot2018-08-23at12_26_37AM.png.47abb120e4539b4d4754581a25444fe1.png

Click Go and a window for Pokemon Reborn will open and ask you to restart to install fonts.  Allow it to do so, and the game will be relaunched.  Now you can play Pokemon Reborn as usual!

Step 6 (Locating your save file): 

Your save file can be located in Wine Files>drive_c>users>(your name)>Saved Games.

Step 7:

Enjoy Reborn!

Wineskin Method (All Credit to Ashk5 for introducing this method):

Step 1:

Download Pokemon Reborn Episode 18.  Unzip the file and place the folder on your desktop for ease of access.

Step 2:

Go here to download Wineskin Winery.  

Step 3:

Once downloaded, open Wineskin Winery and a window like this should pop up:

Spoiler

1273412794_ScreenShot2018-08-22at6_51_04PM.png.f48a2c19783039fe0718af213efd6261.png

Click '+' to install a new engine.  This will open up a new window that looks like this:

Spoiler

720439754_ScreenShot2018-08-22at6_51_57PM.png.7ceb8994f55498a36c5484dfb366fe47.png

Select the engine "WS9Wine1.8".  You can choose whichever your prefer, but this is the one that I prefer.  Click Download and Install and then click Ok in the next window that pops up.

Step 4:

Return to the same window from the first part of Step 3 and then click "Update".  Download the recommended update of Wrapper Version Wineskin-2.6.2.

Step 5:

Once again, return to the same window and click "Create New Blank Wrapper".  This will open up a new window that looks like this:

Spoiler

1495801615_ScreenShot2018-08-22at6_57_38PM.png.45092650d7499d65ffa3fc04e1c383e9.png

Choose the name for your wrapper (I chose "Reborn Episode 18") and then click "OK".  Upon doing this, you will be asked to allow incoming network connections to be accepted.  Click "Allow".  Another window will pop up followed by another that look like these:

Spoiler

1673453642_ScreenShot2018-08-22at7_00_32PM.png.352e24e93b5eeaf6a67cf130334579e3.png

875197480_ScreenShot2018-08-22at7_00_50PM.png.832178a97343b113b07d9fa4b500ef37.png

Click "Install" for both of them.

Step 6:

Once your wrapper is created, click "View Wrapper in Finder" and then drag it to the Desktop for ease of access.  Right/double click on the wrapper and then select "Show Package Contents".  Click Wineskin and a window will show up looking like this:

Spoiler

1509355398_ScreenShot2018-08-22at7_01_55PM.png.f2870267bff725c5477b1c3672a6dcf2.png

Click "Install Software".  

Step 7:

Upon completing step 6, a window this window will open:

Spoiler

229746379_ScreenShot2018-08-22at7_02_05PM.png.7651551239df0920f64f48dc51813e9e.png

There are two options: "Copy a Folder Inside" and "Move a Folder Inside".  While copying your reborn folder inside is easier, moving the folder inside has shown to have less issues in terms of potential file loss.  So, first make a copy of the Reborn folder and then select "Move a Folder Inside".  Select your Pokemon Reborn folder.

Step 8 (If on macOS High Sierra):

Once the folder has successfully been moved inside, return to the previous window in step 6.  Because the Wineskin method is not 100% compatible with High Sierra, a singular tweak must be made to allow for compatibility.  Click "Set Screen Options" and this window should appear:

Spoiler

1575606158_ScreenShot2018-08-22at7_02_31PM.png.f6638a0261b04bf8cc86d570abb53001.png

Make sure "Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D is UNCHECKED.  If it remains checked, you will be unable to play Reborn.

Step 9:

Click on your newly created Pokemon Reborn wrapper to open the game.  You will be asked to allow the game to accept incoming network connections again.  Click "Allow".  A window for Pokemon Reborn will open and ask you to restart to install fonts.  Allow it to do so, and the game will be relaunched.  Now you can play Pokemon Reborn as usual!

Step 10 (Locating your save file):

Once you have saved in Reborn, to locate your save file, right/double click your Pokemon Reborn wrapper, click "show package contents," and then follow the path of drive_c>users>Wineskin>Saved Games.

Step 11 (Locating your game files):

In case you find yourself needing to edit your Reborn files, right/double click your Pokemon Reborn wrapper, click "show package contents," and then follow the path of drive_c>Program Files>Pokemon Reborn.

I'd like to thank and credit Ashk5 once again for introducing the Wineskin Method!

Note: Similar to my previous Mac Guide for Reborn, considering this guide also doubles as a location to ask and answer questions and concerns in regards to running Reborn on Macs, this thread is exempt from Necroposting rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am having difficulty applying my episode 17 save file and applying that to the episode 18 ".exe". I have my "game.rxdata" file and then all the files that have names like, "441 - Shamus - 96h 36m - 13 badges.rxdata" for episode 17. How do I apply this data into episode 18? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by lg1994

2 minutes ago, lg1994 said:

I am having difficulty applying my episode 17 save file and applying that to the episode 18 ".exe". Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

Which method did you use?  Wine or Wineskin?

If you're using the Wine Method, then simply putting your Game.rxdata file in the Saved Games folder will do.  From there, you'll just need to launch the game.exe specifically from the episode 18 folder.  Those other files named "441 - Shamus - 96h 36m - 13 badges.rxdata" for example are actually backup saves.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to transfer my save file to Wineskin - I started off using Wine since I have High Sierra but it kept crashing so I figured I'd try Wineskin instead, but I already have a couple hours of gameplay. I can't seem to locate my Wineskin folder when I get to Users, which is where I assume I would just copy and paste my .exe. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance!

7 minutes ago, hrl21 said:

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to transfer my save file to Wineskin - I started off using Wine since I have High Sierra but it kept crashing so I figured I'd try Wineskin instead, but I already have a couple hours of gameplay. I can't seem to locate my Wineskin folder when I get to Users, which is where I assume I would just copy and paste my .exe. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance!

You have to try launching the game at least once using your wineskin wrapper for it to create the saved games folder, if you haven't already.  And what you're transferring is not the game.exe file, but the game.rxdata file originally from your wine saved games folder.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:08 AM, Tacos said:

You have to try launching the game at least once using your wineskin wrapper for it to create the saved games folder, if you haven't already.  And what you're transferring is not the game.exe file, but the game.rxdata file originally from your wine saved games folder.

I made a save file already, which is why I'm confused that I can't locate it. I've gone through just about every folder in drive_c. Should I just start from the beginning and try uninstalling/downloading Wineskin again?

14 minutes ago, hrl21 said:

I made a save file already, which is why I'm confused that I can't locate it. I've gone through just about every folder in drive_c. Should I just start from the beginning and try uninstalling/downloading Wineskin again?

Before trying to reinstall, you're sure that you're locating this folder by first right/double clicking on your wrapper and clicking "show package contents?"  I just now realized I didn't make that quite clear in the guide so I've edited it to reflect that.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:58 AM, Tacos said:

Before trying to reinstall, you're sure that you're locating this folder by first right/double clicking on your wrapper and clicking "show package contents?"  I just now realized I didn't make that quite clear in the guide so I've edited it to reflect that.

Ohhh that would be it!! I have no idea how to navigate this stuff lol, thank you!

11 hours ago, Lovepreet said:

Is there a way to load a old save on mac in wine?

Simply move the game.rxdata file of the save you want into the folder mentioned in wine method step 6.  Make sure it is the only file in there named game.rxdata.  If you’re loading a previous save that is already in that folder, once again, just rename it to game.rxdata.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

EDIT: nm I got it to work. Thanks for this guide, can't wait to play!

Using Wineskin: I followed the drive_c path to access my save file just fine, but when I try to open the file, it tells me I don't have an application that can open this kind of file. I tried setting it to open with "Wineskin Winery," but that didn't work. Any advice? (Great guide, by the way.)

Edited by atbash
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 10:15 PM, atbash said:

EDIT: nm I got it to work. Thanks for this guide, can't wait to play!

Using Wineskin: I followed the drive_c path to access my save file just fine, but when I try to open the file, it tells me I don't have an application that can open this kind of file. I tried setting it to open with "Wineskin Winery," but that didn't work. Any advice? (Great guide, by the way.)

Oops, sorry for a late reply.  I'm glad you figured it out though!  For the sake of clarity, when you said save file, did you mean your game.rxdata file or the wrapper you created to play the game?  Just want to familiarize myself with the issue if it turns out to be important/common.

• 2 weeks later...

I've experienced this before but never really quite worked out a solution.  It was something I specifically experienced using wine method before I switched to wineskin and eventually updated to a newer Mac.  But just for clarification, is this coming from the animation of the stat-affecting move, or the animation of the stats being affected?  Is it for stats being increased, decreased,  or both?

• 3 weeks later...

Does your Torchic have speed boost by chance?  I've been seeing that stat-changes seem to be quite demanding on Macs for whatever reason and are contributing to script hang errors.  I'm not quite sure of a solution as of yet, but I'll try to contact some people and get some more information.

43 minutes ago, Tacos said:

Does your Torchic have speed boost by chance?  I've been seeing that stat-changes seem to be quite demanding on Macs for whatever reason and are contributing to script hang errors.  I'm not quite sure of a solution as of yet, but I'll try to contact some people and get some more information.

Basically on those screenshots I was using the Wine method (yes it was Speed Boost) ,  but I decided to try Wineskin & picked Chikorita in that file -- I'm still having the same issue.

3 hours ago, Tacos said:

Hmm... And it's consistently at the end of turn 2?  Does this occur with other battles as well?  What moves are being used by your opponent?

It doesn't matter what battle it is my game will work for like 10 minutes and then whatever battle I play will randomly freeze and my game will crash after x turns

2 hours ago, Supermodel said:

It doesn't matter what battle it is my game will work for like 10 minutes and then whatever battle I play will randomly freeze and my game will crash after x turns

I'm never too big on using this as a solution unless I have to, but from what it sounds like, it might just be your computer's inability to keep up with how intensive Reborn can be for Macs.  One solution that may help, even if it unfortunately reduces the quality of the battling experiences, is disabling battle animations.  For Macs that are weaker and/or on the older side, like my previous laptop for example, things like that tended to work.  I wish I could provide more of a solution outside of being sure to save as frequently as possible and potentially giving your computer a break for a few minutes after brief intervals of playing to ensure it's not overheating.  I've yet to run into much else that specifically helps these sort of issues, but please come back and let me know if none of that is making any difference.  I apologize once again for my lack of solutions here, but I hope this doesn't turn you off from the game!

• Upvote 1