Octopath Traveler

CodeCass

220px-Octopath_Traveler.jpg

So I just started Octopath Traveler recently on the Nintendo Switch. 

Boy is this game scratching an itch I wasn't even aware that I had! Haha! I've recently found myself wanting to go back and play some older, PS1 or earlier era sprite-based JRPGS. Now, lo and behold, here comes Octopath Traveler strutting it's way onto the scene. With it's $60 price tag, I was hesitant at first, but after playing the demos, I knew I was going to be in for a treat! So I picked it up and started it over the weekend!

I'm so hooked it's not even funny! I'm legitimately finding myself interested and involved in each character's story. One of the negatives I've seen folks complain about was having to collect all the characters and go through each of their chapters. I'm finding it to be great fun actually! It helps me understand each character's motivations and helps give them each a personality all their own.

The music is amazing and I can't say that enough. It's one of the best parts of the game. The sprites looks clean, crisp, and great. The environments blend both classic, retro looking graphics along with particle effects and environmental effects that are worthy of some AAA games. The voice acting and just overall sound design are really something special though! 

So I'm curious, are any of you Reborn friends plaything through Octopath Traveler currently? (I know I certainly am and couldn't ask for a better time.)  If so, are you enjoying your time with Ophilia, Cyrus, Therion, Olberic, Primrose, Alfyn, Tressa, and H'aanit so far? I'm dying to talk about the game with some of you! I'm really curious to know what you guys and gals think! 

I haven't been playing the game myself (it's a bit hard to do when you're most "modern" console is the Wii), but I have been watching a playthrough of the game for the past... week and a half or so. I'm only through two out of the 8 Chapter 4's so far, which is a bit odd, considering that this is decidedly a faster way to enjoy the game- random battles are cut and grinding is done off screen, and the person isn't even doing the sidequests on screen- but I guess that's a testament to how long the game is without the extra stuff, no? Nothing can beat actually playing the game for oneself, of course, but it holds it's own quite well without the interactivity~!

Oh man, the music is definitely up there! The overworld (especially the Cliftlands, IMO) and town themes (the upbeat Grandport and Rippletide themes, the calming Stillsnow, the stifled and oppressive feels to Olberic and Therion's final chapter towns... the list goes on) do an awesome job of painting just what type of place you're in, while still sounding nice on their own accord. The characters' personal themes don't disappoint, either, especially the 'For..." songs that play before the Chapter Boss fights- especially since they flow into the boss themes seamlessly! Typically, games only do that with exceptionally important bosses, but since (almost) every Chapter Boss is significant to the current plot, the musicians decided to go all-out, and I for one am all the happier for it. 

Oh, that initial thing is something I don't think I would've caught on my own! Which is odd, considering that they're Chapter 1 locations are literally in that order on the world map if you put Ophilia at 1:00 or so and move in a clockwise... Ah well, one can't catch every detail the first time through, no?

Based on your description @Autumn Zephyr, it sounds like I've got a long game ahead of me. I honestly haven't researched game length, but I adore long JRPGS. I can see myself dropping all sorts of hours into it! I'm only about 4 hours in currently; I started with Primrose (my wife's suggestion), and have recruited Olberic, Alfyn, and Therion so far. I'm trying to make my way up to H'aanit as she has the job I'm most interested to play! 

Honestly I haven't really found much to complain about in the game yet. My only real gripe might be that the dungeons I've gone through so far have been quite short, and very straight-forward with little to know exploration encouraged. Now, of course, I'm still in Chapter 1 for everyone, so that will most likely be remedied later on. 

I'm glad you agree on the music. I don't think I can overstate my appreciation for this game's great OST.

I'm actually going to try and take a night of from Octopath tonight and work on Metal Gear Solid 3. As much as I adore Octopath, the last thing I want to do is get burned out on it. I want to be with it for the long-haul. This is also the first game I've had on the Switch that really makes me want to invest in a carrying case so that I can take it to the office and play on lunch! Haha. 

I just Started the game. Good first impression, satisfying combat system. 

Since my Nintendo Switch is the only console I'm taking to college, I'm going to take a break from it and play more on my PS3

On 8/7/2018 at 1:22 PM, CodeCass said:

I'm actually going to try and take a night of from Octopath tonight and work on Metal Gear Solid 3. As much as I adore Octopath, the last thing I want to do is get burned out on it. I want to be with it for the long-haul. This is also the first game I've had on the Switch that really makes me want to invest in a carrying case so that I can take it to the office and play on lunch! Haha. 

What a coincidence! I'm also playing Snake Eater. Except this time I'm running through the game with my newly obtained Stealth Camo and Infinity Face Paint. This time, I've decided to take out the M1911A1 and kill everything I see... and then be punished by the Sorrow for it.