AM2R

Wolfox

This is a bit of a controversial thread (maybe?), but hey I've made statements claiming Blue is the worst rival (which I stand by) so who better to talk about this than me? Many people. But that's why I create a thread.

I can hear some of you thinking, "What's an AM2R?". Well, AM2R is Another Metroid 2 Remake. a PC fangame remake of Metroid 2, to be specific. I won't go into too much detail, as YouTube is full of better descriptions. What I will say, however, is that if you have a Controller (or the needed skills on a Keyboard) and you like Adventure platformers, play this game. While yes Nintendo took it down, you can still find it online. While it's not the game that got me into Metroid (thank the official Nintendo remake for that) it's easily one of the best Fan Games I've ever played. Let's even keep this thread open to discuss our experiences with the game (if anyone ever reads this and wishes to play the game) one note tho, it's not as hard as Fusion, but it's nowhere near easy. and you're gonna have to use the ol' noggin a few times if you wanna get everything

Guest Relinquished
1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

This is a bit of a controversial thread (maybe?), but hey I've made statements claiming Blue is the worst rival (which I stand by) so who better to talk about this than me? Many people. But that's why I create a thread.

I can hear some of you thinking, "What's an AM2R?". Well, AM2R is Another Metroid 2 Remake. a PC fangame remake of Metroid 2, to be specific. I won't go into too much detail, as YouTube is full of better descriptions. What I will say, however, is that if you have a Controller (or the needed skills on a Keyboard) and you like Adventure platformers, play this game. While yes Nintendo took it down, you can still find it online. While it's not the game that got me into Metroid (thank the official Nintendo remake for that) it's easily one of the best Fan Games I've ever played. Let's even keep this thread open to discuss our experiences with the game (if anyone ever reads this and wishes to play the game) one note tho, it's not as hard as Fusion, but it's nowhere near easy. and you're gonna have to use the ol' noggin a few times if you wanna get everything

It has recently released a huge update, v1.4 which adds a plethora of things, like a few new game modes, customization options, better graphics, retro music, a different ending (haven't figured out how to access it yet, even though i beat the game 100% in normal) and some other new additions... Not to be confused with the old, would-be 1.4 version, which turned out to be 1.1.4, instead!

A great game. Once, together with Pokemon uranium, nominated among the 4 top candidates, for the award of "Best Fan-made creation of 2016". Not only N took it down, but it also rigged- i mean, hosted that contest, so it took both those down even from the charts!

One of the most excellent examples, how a Fangame can surpass even original titles! I can't recommend it enough! Huge replay value, too with all those randomizers, higher difficulties, new game + etc.

Guest Relinquished
1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

is theer, perhaps, a direct download link, because I'm a moron and can;t find out how the autopatcher works

There should be, some reddit members upload torrents with complete versions... I couldn't find it though, the bulk of threads is huge, sorry... Maybe a direct search at a torrent site?

But it is very easy, honestly! You need:

1. The zip file of the original, 1.1 release AM2R, just before Nintendo shut it down.

2. The new 1.4 download

3. A new folder (empty).

You need to:

a. Unzip the 1.4 rar's content into the new folder.

b. Copy-paste the original 1.1 zip (there are many places found through google search, where you can still get it)

c. Click and drag the 1.1 zip file, over the exe of the autopatcher.

d. Rest is done automatically.

e. Take care to pause/disable antivirus while the patching/merging takes place, my Bit Defender used to cripple it all the time.

Then, you play the game through the game exe, from the newly created 1.4 folder.

Pretty sure we spoke about this one in another thread.  I'll let this one pass since this one seems like a general thread.  I would also urge anyone who likes metroid to make sure they play Metroid 3 and 4 aka Super Metroid and Metroid Fusions.  They are the best classic metroid games.

2 hours ago, Godot said:

Pretty sure we spoke about this one in another thread.  I'll let this one pass since this one seems like a general thread.  I would also urge anyone who likes metroid to make sure they play Metroid 3 and 4 aka Super Metroid and Metroid Fusions.  They are the best classic metroid games.

yeah, those are amazing. let's not forget Zero Mission too

On 8/6/2018 at 6:54 PM, Wolfox said:

yeah, those are amazing. let's not forget Zero Mission too

Of course, it's very good but not the amazing level of super and fusion. I remember when I was 15 and I fell in love with Metroid thanks to the Super Metroid smash4 demo...