[OU] Help building Chimecho team.

ty_taurus

Alright, so first hear me out. I know that Chimecho's currently classified as PU, but I've recently fallen in love with the little wind chime. Those buffs he received in Sun and Moon are a lot bigger than he's been given credit for. He's also got a lot of options, but I've been experimenting with him in OU with a Cosmic Power/Stored Power build. Currently, my setup looks like this:

Chimecho

Bold / Levitate

@Leftovers

EVs: HP 252 / Def 44 / SDef 212

Stored Power

Toxic

Recover

Cosmic Power

I'm still testing out EVs, but trying to find a good balance that keeps me safe from being 2hit KOed by Knock Offs and Shadow Balls. The main strategy here is pretty clear: Build up Cosmic Powers to be unkillable, Recover when necessary, and smack things with a massive Stored Power. It's actually been quiet effective, but it's not without its counters.

Toxic helps hit Dark Types where I can then either stall them out or swap if I'm not afraid of losing whatever boosts I might have. Mega Sableye is my biggest counter though. You'd think Taunt from other Pokemon would also be an issue, but because no one really expects to see a Chimecho in OU, no one has any clue what I'm up to before it's too late. Toxic can be problem, but I have one good support Pokemon thus far.

Currently, my biggest ally is an Alola Ninetales with Light Clay, Aurora Veil and Heal Bell. The Veil is super helpful, and gives me a great opportunity to swap in since that, along with a Cosmic Power boost is usually enough to get the ball rolling before the screens wear out. He's a definite must on my team to make this strategy work. Beyond that, I'm finding my own Mega Sableye helps by spreading burns on steel types, especially Scizor, and reflecting nasty status moves that anyone tries to throw on Chimecho. Beyond that, though, I've been playing around with options like Clefable, Mantine, and some others, but I'm not super sold than any of them are what this team needs.

Anyone have some good suggestions on what might be some much needed support to keep this team's momentum going?

I used a somewhat similar strategy with Calm Mind Reuniclus in the past, so I'll give some tips from that experience.

-You'll probably want to try replacing Leftovers with a Kee Berry. Swapping in to a weak physical move will do minimal damage, trigger the berry's Defense boost as well as remove the 50% Knock Off damage bonus (by not holding an item).

--This means that mons that lure out those kinds of attacks that Chimecho can easily resist and trigger the Kee Berry make for good allies. Note that Sheer Force attacks will not activate the Kee Berry.

-Trick+Choice item users are a great way to give Chimecho opportunity to set up. Rotom-Wash could fill that role as well as it doing decently against Scizor.

-If Dark types/Knock Off continue to be a problem, you could create a lure and equip it with a fighting-type Z move to take out a Dark type by surprise. 

-A Pursuit user is useful against Ghost types and Psychic types that resist Stored Power. Though opponent Sableye will still be an issue. 

--Aurora Veil plus the Kee Berry might actually be enough of a defense boost to not need Cosmic Power. In that case, a Calm Mind/Recover/Stored Power/Dazzling Gleam set might be useful, though it might have fewer uses outside of specifically countering Mega Sableye.

• Veterans

I'm curious if putting more of the HP EVs into Def instead would be a bit more beneficial. Night Slash from a Weavile still 2HKOs you even with 2 cosmic powers.

As for Sableye (and dark types in general), dazzling gleam might suit the set up better since chimecho's sp.atk is pretty good.

The Calm Mind+Dazzling Gleam change might be a good idea along with that kee berry. I think that, along with a full investment in defense might make it harder to get countered. The added special attack would make steel types even less of an issue. I'll need to see how changing the EVs goes, I'm thinking of splitting Special Defense with HP in this situation, just because I'll be building Special Defense anyway with Calm Mind. I'll look into some Trick users too. 

In gen 7 Chimeco's defense was dropped for hp and that's it. There's nothing phenomenal about that. And you're a fool to underestimate OU players. Literally anyone who's played the meta long enough knows that any non OU pokemon which is not much used that opponents bring will try and stall. Also there's the fact that OU is run by legendary Pokemon. You're honestly worrying about a Weavile when a Tapu Bulu could smash your Chimeco with Horn Leech? It's a good thing to try new stuff but seriously, get a grasp of the tier first.

9 hours ago, Zander said:

In gen 7 Chimeco's defense was dropped for hp and that's it. There's nothing phenomenal about that. And you're a fool to underestimate OU players. Literally anyone who's played the meta long enough knows that any non OU pokemon which is not much used that opponents bring will try and stall. Also there's the fact that OU is run by legendary Pokemon. You're honestly worrying about a Weavile when a Tapu Bulu could smash your Chimeco with Horn Leech? It's a good thing to try new stuff but seriously, get a grasp of the tier first.

@Zander Never forget Se Jun Park’s Pachirisu in the 2014 championships. Sometimes using an unexpected mon can really throw an opponent off. Also haven’t you just been a fun bundle of positivity recently. As someone who firmly believes in playing because it’s fun, I’d caution you against letting the current metagame structure (or your OU bias) lead you to insult another player’s choices and experience. 

As for the topic at hand... It’d be helpful if you could post what you have on your team thus far? Just wanna see if there’s any holes to fill

3 hours ago, SnowGlaceon said:

@Zander Never forget Se Jun Park’s Pachirisu in the 2014 championships. Sometimes using an unexpected mon can really throw an opponent off. Also haven’t you just been a fun bundle of positivity recently. As someone who firmly believes in playing because it’s fun, I’d caution you against letting the current metagame structure (or your OU bias) lead you to insult another player’s choices and experience. 

As for the topic at hand... It’d be helpful if you could post what you have on your team thus far? Just wanna see if there’s any holes to fill

Sorry but I haven't insulted anyone even once. Unless of course you consider stating of facts and experience of another player as insulting then there's nothing anybody can do about it.

3 hours ago, SnowGlaceon said:

Never forget Se Jun Park’s Pachirisu in the 2014 championships. Sometimes using an unexpected mon can really throw an opponent off

People knew what Pachirisu would do, and that was redirection. Literally Pachi was one of the handfull, if not the best, Follow Me users that year. It wasn't that it threw people off, it was that redirection + Nuzzle paralysis was so good for Se Jun's team to beat the most meta teams.

As for the Chimecho, I'm not going to go through how it is outclassed in every possible role, but instead I'm going to focus on what it can do. While the set up Stored Power set can work, most decent players won't allow it. And even if it manages to set up enough, Chimecho is too slow and can be revenged kill easilly. Not to mention pokemon like CM Clefable and Zygarde can set up alongside it.
So I would suggest a more disruptive set for Chimecho, so it can lure things, cripple them and let the rest of the team take advantage of that.

Chimecho @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 12 SpA / 4 Spe  
Bold Nature  
- Thunder Wave/Yawn/Toxic  
- Defog  
- Knock Off  
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Recover

The above set can be tweeked depending what you want to aim with your disruption. Thunder Wave can cripple switch ins like Greninja, Bulu, Blacephalon, Heatran and Kartana. Yawn is a cool tech that either force the opponent to put something to sleep, or keep switcing vs a hazzard stacking team. Toxic is there mainly for Paralysis immune pokemon like Zygarde, Zapdos and Koko so its up to your team on what you prefer to cripple and with what status.
For second move I decided that Defog is such a great move cause Chimecho can Defog vs most common Stealth Rock users. You wall non SD rocks Lando, you can Recover and Defog vs non CM Clef, and you can Yawn + Defog + Recover vs Magmatran (although you might need a tweek on EVs towards Sp Def). It all depends on what exactly you want to cripple based on your team.
Knock Off is great disruptive move that can get rid of annoying items like Lefties on Clef and Tran, Scarf on Kartana and Greninja and also helps not being a completely Taunt bait.
For last move you mainly want Recover, but HP Ice can be used to lure Lando, Gliscor and Zygarde helping potential Electric types you have in the back. Icy Wind is also an option over HP Ice that helps further with Speed disruption but it fails to 2HKO defensive Lando all the time.

For item Lefties is the best so you can avoid some 2HKOs and have a passive recovery while the opponent is switching due to Yawn. Rocky Helmet can be used though to chip away Lando when it U-Turns, Scarf Kartana that is not locked into Knock while you keep Recovering, and Hawlucha so you can keep it in a priority move range after HP Ice + Helmet Damage.

Other disruptive sets can be a fast Taunt set to beat walls like Ferro, Clef and Toxapex, a scarf Trick/healing Wish set or a Wrap + Perish Song set for passive mons.

• Thanks 1

@Zander It's called having tact. You don't have to say things like "you suck" or "you're an idiot" to insult people. You could, for example, come in and assert your perspective in a way that belittles others for not knowing what you know, and making it seem as though you're better than them because you know.

@SnowGlaceon

Here's what I was playing around with last time:

Chimecho @Kee Berry

Levitate

EVs: 128 HP / 252 Def / 128 SpD

Bold

- Stored Power

- Dazzling Gleam

- Recover

- Calm Mind

Ninetales-Alola @Light Clay

Snow Warning

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid

- Freeze-Dry

- Heal Bell

- Nasty Plot

- Aurora Veil

Sableye @Sablenite

Prankster / Magic Bounce

EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD

Careful

- Knock Off

- Recover

- Taunt

- Will-o-Wisp

Clefable @Choice Specs

Magic Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Bold

- Moonblast

- Trick

- Soft-Boiled

- Stealth Rocks

Mantine @Leftovers

Water Absorb

EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD

Calm

- Scald

- Toxic

- Defog

- Roost

Volcarona @Fightinium Z

Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Quiver Dance

It's kinda messy right now. I was playing around with a bunch of different things and was switching around a lot.

15 hours ago, Zander said:

And you're a fool to underestimate OU players. Literally anyone who's played the meta long enough knows that any non OU pokemon which is not much used that opponents bring will try and stall.

It's a good thing to try new stuff but seriously, get a grasp of the tier first.

2 hours ago, Zander said:

Sorry but I haven't insulted anyone even once. Unless of course you consider stating of facts and experience of another player as insulting then there's nothing anybody can do about it.

🧐🧐🤔🤔

Nah I must be making things up

At any rate, that’s not a bad start for your team. I’d recommend sacking Ninetails’ Nasty Plot, it’s not built to be a sweeper, and putting something more fitting its investment. Maybe Hypnosis? That would also mean you’d be free to put one of the other status moves on pyrr’s chimeco set. Or maybe something else entirely Bc you have will-o-wisp and toxic already on your team. Perish song could be very useful for phasing out anything that wants to set up, and healing wish could help restore a heavily damaged teammate. 

Psychium Z or Grassium Z are good for volcarona. Depending on what other coverage moves you have I’d pick from those. Hell even go with Firium if you wanna nuke something.

@pyrromanis Fair point, but it was still a “PU” Pokemon that did some work. Of course I’m not discounting that it was a doubles format but 

come on

pachirisu? 

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, ty_taurus said:

@Zander It's called having tact. You don't have to say things like "you suck" or "you're an idiot" to insult people. You could, for example, come in and assert your perspective in a way that belittles others for not knowing what you know, and making it seem as though you're better than them because you know.

@SnowGlaceon

Here's what I was playing around with last time:

Chimecho @Kee Berry

Levitate

EVs: 128 HP / 252 Def / 128 SpD

Bold

- Stored Power

- Dazzling Gleam

- Recover

- Calm Mind

Ninetales-Alola @Light Clay

Snow Warning

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid

- Freeze-Dry

- Heal Bell

- Nasty Plot

- Aurora Veil

Sableye @Sablenite

Prankster / Magic Bounce

EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD

Careful

- Knock Off

- Recover

- Taunt

- Will-o-Wisp

Clefable @Choice Specs

Magic Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Bold

- Moonblast

- Trick

- Soft-Boiled

- Stealth Rocks

Mantine @Leftovers

Water Absorb

EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD

Calm

- Scald

- Toxic

- Defog

- Roost

Volcarona @Fightinium Z

Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Quiver Dance

It's kinda messy right now. I was playing around with a bunch of different things and was switching around a lot.

Oh Arceus, take away the pain...

If you are going to use Chimecho, why don't just make a PU team and play there? Playing anywhere above that is just... Not a good idea. Believe me. I tried. My team with Ditto, SubDDnite, Empoleon, Clefable, Scizor and Alolan Marowak works with two RU and one PU pokemon, but that's because I stick to their unique niches and try to exploit something only them can do. Otherwise, it's a really, really bad idea to even attempt to use them.

But because I know you won't listen to that advice and try to run this team anyway:

Sableye is stantard annoyer piece of (CENSORED). Nothing to see there

Use Hypnosis on Ninetales. You are already weak enough to Scizor to give him an easy set-up bait. It will also allow you to do something when Heatran inevitably comes to blow you to smitherens.

Choice Specs support Clefable is the worst idea you could ever have with him. You are ALREADY a huge Scizor bait, you really want to give him a set that forces you to spam a move that will leave you locked doing nothing?

Mantine, use Haze instead of Toxic. Thank me later whenever you face someone with a Substitute sweeper and it prevents him from 6-0ing that team instantly, and by someone I mean me. My Substitute Dragonite is legendary among the veterans of the server.

Volcarona... what is he even doing there? Especially with that fightium-Z. It won't do anything against Scizor if that's what you are thinking. No recovery means easy to wear down with rocks. And no, Mantine won't keep them out forever. He can be easily poisoned and Ninetales iis too frail and has a typing too terrible defensively to use Heal Bell.

Try to play it in vgc19 instead: he is a decent supporter as of being the only pokemon besides Smeargle and Klefki to learn Crafty Shield. Additionally, he learns ally switch and heal pulse, so he might be a good pokemon to support a Xerneas or another setupper

On 10/1/2018 at 4:28 PM, SJMistery said:

Oh Arceus, take away the pain...

If you are going to use Chimecho, why don't just make a PU team and play there? Playing anywhere above that is just... Not a good idea. Believe me. I tried. My team with Ditto, SubDDnite, Empoleon, Clefable, Scizor and Alolan Marowak works with two RU and one PU pokemon, but that's because I stick to their unique niches and try to exploit something only them can do. Otherwise, it's a really, really bad idea to even attempt to use them.

But because I know you won't listen to that advice and try to run this team anyway:

Sableye is stantard annoyer piece of (CENSORED). Nothing to see there

Use Hypnosis on Ninetales. You are already weak enough to Scizor to give him an easy set-up bait. It will also allow you to do something when Heatran inevitably comes to blow you to smitherens.

Choice Specs support Clefable is the worst idea you could ever have with him. You are ALREADY a huge Scizor bait, you really want to give him a set that forces you to spam a move that will leave you locked doing nothing?

Mantine, use Haze instead of Toxic. Thank me later whenever you face someone with a Substitute sweeper and it prevents him from 6-0ing that team instantly, and by someone I mean me. My Substitute Dragonite is legendary among the veterans of the server.

Volcarona... what is he even doing there? Especially with that fightium-Z. It won't do anything against Scizor if that's what you are thinking. No recovery means easy to wear down with rocks. And no, Mantine won't keep them out forever. He can be easily poisoned and Ninetales iis too frail and has a typing too terrible defensively to use Heal Bell.

While I agree with some of your points, I just wanted to note that your notoriously "dangerous" Dragonite gets stopped by literally ANY fairy. So how can you criticize a choice specs clefable (which obviously ISN´T forced to lock itself into a move because of trick) if your powerhouse gets beaten by its little baby sibling cleffa? 😄

And I´m pretty sure the fightinium is not for scizor, seeing that volcarona is a FIRE type...

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2018 at 2:09 PM, LilyX said:

While I agree with some of your points, I just wanted to note that your notoriously "dangerous" Dragonite gets stopped by literally ANY fairy. So how can you criticize a choice specs clefable (which obviously ISN´T forced to lock itself into a move because of trick) if your powerhouse gets beaten by its little baby sibling cleffa? 😄

And I´m pretty sure the fightinium is not for scizor, seeing that volcarona is a FIRE type...

There has been ages since I switched to Fly as the attacking move, man.

And I know th Fightium Z is not for Scizor, those two things arr completely unrelated.

4 minutes ago, SJMistery said:

There has been ages since I switched to Fly as the attacking move, man.

And I know th Fightium Z is not for Scizor, those two things arr completely unrelated.

First: This is one month old...

Second: I was talking about the Dragonite in your signature: no Fly (and who the heck uses Fly...)

Third: " Volcarona... what is he even doing there? Especially with that fightium-Z. It won't do anything against Scizor if that's what you are thinking." -> your words... I just wanted to clarify that ty_taurus is not an idiot who would put Fightinium Z on a Volcarona to beat a Scizor, when Volcarona is basically the best Scizor counter in existence...

On 11/10/2018 at 1:12 AM, LilyX said:

First: This is one month old...

Second: I was talking about the Dragonite in your signature: no Fly (and who the heck uses Fly...)

Third: " Volcarona... what is he even doing there? Especially with that fightium-Z. It won't do anything against Scizor if that's what you are thinking." -> your words... I just wanted to clarify that ty_taurus is not an idiot who would put Fightinium Z on a Volcarona to beat a Scizor, when Volcarona is basically the best Scizor counter in existence...

I never updated the signature, mostly because even when I made it, it was already incorrect, as Latios was not selectable (in place of him I left Greninja), and neither was Jirachi when I updated it the first time. If you want the most recent version, it is there.

3 hours ago, SJMistery said:

I never updated the signature, mostly because even when I made it, it was already incorrect, as Latios was not selectable (in place of him I left Greninja), and neither was Jirachi when I updated it the first time. If you want the most recent version, it is there.

Okay, that doesn´t look as terrible as the other one. Still not a good set though... Mawile-M is one of the most common Pokemon out there and can´t be killed by even a +1 Supersonic Skystrike. Earthquake over Substitute would probably make it semi-viable.

If I ran EQ, it wouldn't be my SubDDnite. This team was excelently viable when Duggy was allowed, but heh, I'll stick to it for the memes.

And Volcarona is NOT a good counter to Scizor, between hazards and chip damage he will fall fast. The only thing that is makes him a "counter" is the chance of hax with Flame Body