Advice for Poison Mono

AtheaOfAltea

Trubbish or Gulpin for a Poison Mono?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which serves better as a tank?

2. 2. Which serves better as a setup member?

3. 3. Which would be a better member on a Poison mono overall?

I'm a bit torn between the Garbodor and Swalot. I've heard really good things about Gulpin, and consequently Swalot, but statistically, they look similar enough that I wanted to get a larger opinion as to which would serve my needs better. Also, if I'm completely missing something and there was a third poison tank that absolutely wrecks 'em both, please lemme know. Thank ye kindly!

Early game Trubbish is better due to Toxic Spikes, and higher base stats in everything (except Sp.A with only a difference of 3). I'd say Swalot is better mid game onwards as he has better tank stats (Garbodor has better attack stats though), learns Toxic earlier than Garbo or can use Yawn instead. With Toxic + Stockpile you can decently stall with him. There are better poison tanks other than these two though - Toxapex would be one, a tanky Nidoqueen with Stealth Rocks or Toxic Spikes and Black Sludge is another and I might be missing others. While Swalot can tank and stall pretty well, he can pretty much only do that, and while Garbo has decent dmg late game, he gets a lull in the mid game with no decent moves and TMs aside from the Acid Spray and Toxic Spikes stuff which are not that useful after all the PULSE Tangrowths. The ones I mentioned can be decent attackers and stallers/setup helpers both.

10 hours ago, UnicornJesus said:

Toxapex is a great two poison spikes setup pokémon. Consider using him.

5 hours ago, AweKartik777 said:

There are better poison tanks other than these two though - Toxapex would be one

I'm pretty unfamiliar with Gen 7, but holy shit I checked Toxapex's stats and it's absolutely horrifying. That's a wall if I've ever seen one. Where would I go about finding a Mareanie? I'm currently pre-Florinia, so I imagine it'll be a while?