Can we please show some love for Delphox?

jsrObtY.png

The amount of hate delphox gets is frankly gross, and really undeserved. Okay, Braixen is a top tier pokemon design and totally charming and I get preferring her over Delphy. But that certainly doesn't make Delphox bad, and while it's 3D model is...lacking, it's certainly not the only pokemon with this issue and there's plenty of well designed ones with less than stellar 3D models(Haxorus lol).

But first I want to start on how people  are so bugged how Delphox isn't "cute" anymore. This is a very silly complaint because none of the final starter evos save for Primarina arguably  are trying to be "cute," as their designs are to suppose to invoke some sort of maturity. We see this from fennekin being a big head fox, turning into a cute little witch and then maturing into a wiser looking warlock/wizard. Delphox isn't about being cute, though I argue it's far from ugly or gonky either and definitely has a softer and more androgynous look to it compared to every other fire starter, who usually tended to have more masculine or harder designs. 

I can understand not liking the color palette as much, but the design functions well as a progression from Braixen/fennekin in fitting  the spellcaster theme of the line, and I feel it's more natural than chespin's progression. Admittedly I was lukewarm on Delphox at first but seeing it animated and outside the games, as well as using it on a playthrough and reborn made me appreciate it a lot more. She's probably my 3rd favorite fire starter evo now, which is funny considering how fennekin is my least favorite fire starter base form.

Gameplay wise, delphox IMO is one of the more interesting fire starters. Fire starters tended to be very offense focused but delphox was a bit fresh in how she was more versatile and could  play support just as well, something previous fire/psychic types didn't really bother with or do well and it's made her kind of unique in that regard. She's not all that great competitively but for single player and fangames she's a surprisingly fun pokemon with some interesting depth that makes her more flexible in some ways compared to most of the other fire starters. Personally I found her to be one of the funnest starters to use in Reborn.

How do you guys feel about Delphy? Disappointing? Underappreciated? An acquired taste? 

YwoLXd2.png

She's an Acquired Taste.

Here's a fun fact: Delphox was the first Gen 6 Pokémon I ever used, and it was in Reborn. Mister Y (a pun on Mystery, get it?) was easily the best Starter I could have gotten back then. Now Delphox is my second favorite Fire starter (just can't beat Nape) and probably my 3rd favorite starter in General (Primarina, what more can I say?). It's extremely Fast and hits quite hard, making its combination of Fire and Psychic, two offense based types, extremely dangerous. also while having a good movepool. Design wise, I love it. While I usually am not a huge fan of Mage based characters in games, once I get to using them I tend to love them. Delphox to me looks perfect the way it is. IF there's even one thing I would change, it would be it being Fire Dark or Fairy instead of psychic. Dark to go more toward the Dark Magic and Witch aspect, and Fairy more for the introduction of the type (why not introduce it with a starter?) and it being a magical type. And that, to me, feel extremely nitpicky, because Delphox doesn't need that to be cool. It's also easily my favorite starter of gen 6 (Yes, it beats out Gren for me)

Guest Relinquished

Delphox? Is cute, adorable, playful-looking, naughty and mischievous! First starter of mine on Reborn and i still love it, never to pick up anything else! Lots of people like it! Sure, its not very fast, its typing makes it a weak defensively mon, but it has great utility in Reborn (Fire + Psychic = nothing to scoff at), plus useful egg moves (like Wish, which the event one already knows) and is an adept, early game, item-Thief! I ❤️ Braixen the most, from this line!

886.jpg

06b.jpg

actually, I wouldn't directly call Delphox Cute, more Majestic and mysterious

Edit:

Also @GS BALL, I don't think that second pic might really be appropriate... (and it's not exactly on topic, considering this is about Delphox and not Braixen)

Edited by Wolfox

2 hours ago, StarryDreamerKitten said:

My only issue with it is it's gender ratio and it takes me better part of an hour to get any female starter same issue with Primaprima 

It is a nice feeling when you see that little red key next to ehr icon when you're naming them, only for that feeling to turn into disappointment when you end up with an adamant nature or in Reborn/rejuv's case single digit IVs or something lol. Then you either keep going, or spend the next 20 minutes resetting lol. After a certain point I just settle for an okay nature or just figure, "at least I can breed."

3 hours ago, Monochrome_Complex said:

It is a nice feeling when you see that little red key next to ehr icon when you're naming them, only for that feeling to turn into disappointment when you end up with an adamant nature or in Reborn/rejuv's case single digit IVs or something lol. Then you either keep going, or spend the next 20 minutes resetting lol. After a certain point I just settle for an okay nature or just figure, "at least I can breed."

True, nature's don't really bother me though would prefer IVs on the better part . Gotten use to using a male one usually with okay enough IVs

8 hours ago, StarryDreamerKitten said:

My only issue with it is it's gender ratio and it takes me better part of an hour to get any female starter same issue with Primaprima I like all starters fairly equally however the Fennikin line is my favourite line

I'm pretty sure this happens in most of the starter. I have given up breeding female Froakie, Charmender, Eevee because of it.

1 hour ago, Arys said:

I'm pretty sure this happens in most of the starter. I have given up breeding female Froakie, Charmender, Eevee because of it.

That would be correct most staters I don't really care if male or female but it's kinda like having a male Gardevoir for me their very feminine to me and I just prefer them to be female like I am

Guest Relinquished
7 hours ago, Arys said:

Ooh... First pokemon i ever bred for perfect IVs, was Charmander... It was a ride to hell, getting a female with nice stats, to keep the chains going. Felt so well, though, at the end result!

oh i love delphox 😍 haven`t played it in reborn (yet) but in rejuvenation and other fangames it`s my most trusted companion ♥️

Can`t understand why there are so many haters, but everyone has their own preferences and mine is this majestic red fox witch ♥️

32137c37ccf5045bf551c478f648eb5e--pokemon-pokemon-pokemon-games.jpg

I am totally cool with people liking Delphox. I think this appreciation thread is great, the art is well done, and all the reasons are sound. It's just... her  proportions plus the 5000% ear fluff makes the whole design unappealing to me. I think the best picture of Delphox posted here is this one, when it's posed like this (quote trimmed):

Spoiler
On 7/23/2018 at 5:07 AM, GS BALL said:

delphox_by_simplederk-d6pwh6r.png

So, to get into the spirit of this thread, I too appreciate this underappreciated pokemon (when it's posed differently or there's some adjustment to its long, human-like  proportions, like the chibi art Zarc posted).

On 7/26/2018 at 2:49 PM, Seal said:

Although Chesnaught is my favorite of the trio I'll take Delphox over an edgy anime plot devise frog any day.

Why is having hair coming out of the ears only a problem on the final evo?

I always found this a silly complaint as well.  It's a constant thing with the line yet only Delphy gets hate for it. 

On 7/26/2018 at 11:49 PM, Seal said:

Although Chesnaught is my favorite of the trio I'll take Delphox over an edgy anime plot devise frog any day.

Why is having hair coming out of the ears only a problem on the final evo?

Can`t understand it either 🤔 (As Monochrome_Complex said it is a constant thing in this fox line). Also in my opinion it is not like hair is coming out of its ears instead the hairs are kinda part of the ears or even the real ears and from my point of view it looks cute ♥️ 

5 hours ago, TheVentusX said:

Can`t understand it either 🤔 (As Monochrome_Complex said it is a constant thing in this fox line). Also in my opinion it is not like hair is coming out of its ears instead the hairs are kinda part of the ears or even the real ears and from my point of view it looks cute ♥️ some people will always find something to complain about Delphox (or any other pokemon) and: Hey everyone has their own opinion about something. If they have so much freetime and don`t have anything more productive to do, it is their problem as long as they don`t try to convince me of their complaints with all might 😌.

Hello, TheVentusX! It seems as if we have differing opinions on Delphox, and that's a wonderful thing to have in a discussion thread. If you're ever unsure on why someone feels differently from you, consider questioning their reasoning, like this: "From my point of view, Delphox's ears look cute! What don't you like about them?" That way, the other person can elaborate on their position. Implying that someone has "nothing more productive to do" is pretty rude and shuts down discussion instead of promoting it. (I think that Delphox's ear fur is a bit excessive, by the way. I'm of the minority in this thread, but that's quite all right!)

Everyone, I've... found a newfound appreciation of Delphox! I always end up liking pokemon that I use in games or draw, so I challenged myself to draw our fox friend taking in all this appreciation:

1203091872_delphoxisourfriend.png.bec242794ad6ab74dd65c9ef630056a9.png

She's a cutie. I admit it! 5,000,000% ear fluff and all. I finally saw her for what she truly is...

del1.png.44003c4fa16368a4565d4781fd9bcde1.png

YET ANOTHER POKEMON DENIED BRAVE BIRD. WHERE'S MY SUPERSONIC SKYSTRIKE DELPHOX AT, GAMEFREAK?? WHERE'S HM02 FOR MY GIRL DELPHY????

33 minutes ago, Xanthous said:

Hello, TheVentusX! It seems as if we have differing opinions on Delphox, and that's a wonderful thing to have in a discussion thread. If you're ever unsure on why someone feels differently from you, consider questioning their reasoning, like this: "From my point of view, Delphox's ears look cute! What don't you like about them?" That way, the other person can elaborate on their position. Implying that someone has "nothing more productive to do" is pretty rude and shuts down discussion instead of promoting it. (I think that Delphox's ear fur is a bit excessive, by the way. I'm of the minority in this thread, but that's quite all right!)

Ok i have to admit you are kinda right with what you said, but also have to say that it wasn`t adressed to you (so sorry that you thought this way should have been more explicit about it) it was rather a general statement as there are people who randomly complain about something only for amusment😅. So I apologize to everyone who I maybe offended in the wrong way and for the future: Next time I will write such thing with a more friendlier undertone or be more explicit about what/who I mean 😉 

but thank you Xanthous for telling me your opinion👍

Honestly, my only problem with delphox is the gender ratio- and it's the only pokemon that I have that complaint with (well, aside from it's prevo). This is based off of the thematics of the line, as I see them:

Braixen, as many have determined, is based off of the 'magical girl' archetype, which... is kinda self-explanatory, as far as gender is concerned. There's also a spot of cute witch in there, which is a tad more subtle for this argument, but let's roll with it. Sure, there is that 'magical boy' anime these days, but that aired a couple years after X and Y were released, so I highly doubt that that was even remotely considered when designing the pokemon, ya know?

Delphox, of course, looses the 'magical girl' aspect to the design, so maybe I can afford to give it a little slack... waitaminute. It's name derives from the Oracle of Delphi, who was notably a woman. Well, so much for that! Buolding off of that detail, the Oracle's patron god was Apollo, the Greek deity of the sun (which explains the Fire Typing a bit better than 'we just needed to fill this slot of the pre-established pattern).

That means that the only gender-neutral member of the line is fennekin, no? So why the heck does it have such a greater chance of being male? I wouldn't be so peeved if the odds were even- naming conventions aside, it does have a rather neutral design, and not everyone is aware of the name thing anyway. But no, it got saddled with the "starter standard ratio", and i think we have a few other starter lines that annoy players with that ratio as things are? 

Aside from that, it's a solidly designed poke that fits one of my favorite unit types in RPGs (strong offensive casters that come with a fair bit of in-battle utility), and a pokemon I've been considering using for a while now (though it typically got beat out by another Fire or Psychic Type, unfortunately). Besides, this is a series where the gender thing can easily be bypassed by way of soft reset anyway, so I don't really have any actual complaints with it anyway~!

7F56041C-8EFB-4D14-9A92-081AC06ABE1F.gif.b24e72deed6422a62949a9ae74525d26.gif

Delphox??? 💯💯💯💯💯 all the way~

The reason I have a soft spot for the fella because it’s design potrays possibly my most favorite specialization in mmorpg’s which is well, a mage or a wizard. Plus Delphox is a Pyromancer, which is 100000x cooler and majestic so it’s pretty clear that we are all in agreement that everyone here are honorary members of the Delphox nation.

I chose Greninja as my starter for Reborn and haven't regretted it even once. First time I was actually using a gen 6 pokemon. I also did an event and got myself a Feniken. I raised it into a Delphox and used it for wild battles. It's a cool pokemon to use with interesting gimics but is definitely the weakest fire starter among the first six generations.

Charizard with it's mega, Typhlosion with it's move pool, sp attack and speed, Blaziken with speed boost and mega, Infernape with Iron fist and huge speed+attack and Emboar with Reckless who gets Flare Blitz, Head Smash and Wild Charge effectively doing even more damage than a sheer force Darmanitan. The Fox however doesn't have any niche or offensive power and there are much better support pokemon available in Meowstic who outclass Delfox and are much more easily available.

All in all, Delfox is a great design but is the worst fire type starter to use among the six generations.