What foods do you like that are unusual

Ever had any foods or any food combinations that are unusual to others but normal to you? Feel free to share them here. You can also put in weird stuff other people have eaten and can extend to drinks. I occasionally have tomato soup and chips (fries) and I know someone who enjoys dipping breadsticks in ice cream. I sometimes mix up different tango flavours together with any lemonade sorta drinks.

Durian. The smell is so strong that it's banned in train and airplane, but the inside is so sweet and the texture is so good. If you choose it poorly it might be a bit bitter.

Fun fact about Durian is you either love or hate that fruit. There's no middle ground.

Fun fact #2 about Durian is there's  a saying that if Durian fall on you, that means you've got great luck. But if Durian really falls on you, you're either dead, or almost died.

Having immigrant Indian parents means I am exposed to a lot of different dishes and snacks. There's this one snack called murukku, which is hard as a brick and seems to be food you'd serve as punishment. I am a huge fan of it for some reason, and people don't seem to understand it. I say it's ok if it's hard to eat, it might destroy your teeth but it'll build character.

6 hours ago, Arys said:

Durian. The smell is so strong that it's banned in train and airplane, but the inside is so sweet and the texture is so good. If you choose it poorly it might be a bit bitter.

Fun fact about Durian is you either love or hate that fruit. There's no middle ground.

Fun fact #2 about Durian is there's  a saying that if Durian fall on you, that means you've got great luck. But if Durian really falls on you, you're either dead, or almost died.

So Durians are like the fruit version of marmite (hate Marmite).

14 hours ago, UnicornJesus said:

I have no idea if this is usual in other countries, but in my country we eat snails, like, a lot. It's far better than what I thought it would be. They are not raw btw, we cook them.

How are snails served in your country? Is it like some seafood where you have to slurp it from the shell or is it just eating them as most foods? What does it even taste like if you can compare it to any food? Always been curious...

3 hours ago, Abyssreaper99 said:

How are snails served in your country? Is it like some seafood where you have to slurp it from the shell or is it just eating them as most foods? What does it even taste like if you can compare it to any food? Always been curious...

It's not easy to slurp them from the shell, so you take them out of it either with your hands (not very handy, pun not intended) or with toothpicks. We cook them all in a pan until they are good, and then we put like garlic and stuff like that. It has a unique flavour, I can't explain very well; it's kinda slimy, but that makes it taste even better, and not only to me but to everyone else. You have to try it, it's not disgusting AT ALL, it's great.

Ummm... if you are like most people in my country (South Africa) you will find this weird: I love to eat Banana and Mayo on bread (oh, with margarine or butter of course). I find the combination creamy and the mayo gives the banana a real edge. The banana I just slice into disks and then I dress it with mayo. An extra slice on top is optional.

I only say it's unusal because Bengali foods usually get overshadowed by Indian food, but my god man, I love these sweets called rosh kodoms, that are basically just really sweet cakes covered in nonpareils (apparently call "hundreds and thousands by non-North American peeps). They're amazing, and the hardness of the nonpareils works so well with the softness of the cake inside, and it's like 3 different kinds of sweet (the cake usually has a core made of something else, typically a different texture of cake), so it can stay extremely sweet without feeling like you just ate a hunk of sugar. 10/10 would recommend. I have a pic o' some as well below

rosh kodom.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Relinquished

Fried chicken innards. Yummm (liver, heart).

Also, correctly prepared and cooked calf heart (drenched in wine and seasonings).