Monotype Challenge!

Amethyst

• Administrators
Allow me to explain. Completely unlike the Reborn League Challenge, a Monotype Challenge is where a player cuts through the story mode of the games, using only one type of Pokémon. Sound easy? Then I invite you to see for yourself.

Of course, some, such as... water or flying will be much easier than others, like ghost or ice. In fact, some are flat out impossible due to a lack of variety. But that's no consequence. Shall we begin? I'll start with the rules-
1. Obviously, you may only use Pokémon of the type you have chosen (with the following exceptions)
2. You may use dual-types, as long as one is of your chosen type.
3. You may use Pokémon who will evolve into a Pokémon of your chosen type.
4. You may use your starter only until a Pokémon of your chosen type is available, at which point, you must then catch it and ditch your starter. (T_T)
5. You may carry HM slaves, but they may not be used in battle under any circumstances.
6. You may trade for evolution, but not for Pokémon not found in your game, eggs, or extra TMs of any kind. You must use only the TMs found on a single cartridge.
7. Hacking is not allowed. Duh.

So, all that's left is to pick a type, and a game. You have to "beat" the game with only that type, and some types won't work for some games. Fortunately, we've got you covered-

[b]RSE[/b]
Beaten: Upon catching or defeating Rayquaza and defeating The Elite Four.
For Emerald: Upon catching or defeating Groundon and Kyogre and defeating Steven.
Ghost and Dragon types are not allowed due to a lack of pokemon.
Steel types are not allowed unless you have Jirachi from the Bonus Colosseum Disc
In the case of a Flying monotype, you are allowed EITHER Salamence or Rayquaza.
[b]
FRLG[/b]
Beaten: Upon catching or defeating Mewtwo, and defeating the second wave of The Elite Four.
In the case of a flying monotype, you are allowed EITHER Dragonite or one of the legendary birds. In their respective elemental monotypes, the birds are allowed.
Steel, Ghost, Dragon and Dark monotypes are not allowed due to a lack of pokemon.
[b]
DPP[/b]
Beaten: Upon catching or defeating of Heatran
For Platinum: Upon catching or defeating of Heatran and defeating of the second wave of The Elite Four
Dragon, Fire, Ghost, Steel, Rock, Electric and Dark monotypes are not allowed due to lack of pokemon
In Platinum, due to the expanded Sinnoh dex, Steel, Electric, Dark and Ghost monotypes are allowed.

[b]HGSS[/b]
Beaten: Upon the catching or defeat of Mewtwo, defeating of the second wave of the Elite Four and defeating Red.
Ghost, Dragon, Dark and Steel monotypes are not allowed due to a lack of pokemon.
In the case of a Flying mono challenge, you are allowed EITHER Dragonite or one of the legendary birds. In their respective Fire and Psychic monotypes, Ho-Oh and Lugia are allowed, however in a Fire monotype you are only allowed EITHER Entei or Ho-oh.
In their respective monotypes, the legendary dogs are allowed.
-------------------------------------------
Information based off of Prettzel of the CoD Forums
-------------------------------------------

All that said, I encourage you to try your hand at one of these, post your progress every once in a while, etc.

I've already started mine- I'm doing a Psychic monotype (surprise, surprise...) on Leaf Green. I just beat Brock, but unforunately, I have yet to encounter any psychic types yet. It's a depressing prospect, really. =(
  • Upvote 5

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Oh, with something like that, you're allowed to use your starter to train it. I should have clarified.

So I was a failure and accidentally overwrote Bulbasaur's Tackle. Because of this, I was stalled to struggle and consequently death by a Lass's Oddish and Bellsprout.
Finally, after I learned Razor Leaf, I cut through and caught myself an Abra~
It quickly evolved, and was killing everything.
It was about that time Misty's Starmie showed up, bitch-slapped it twice, and crushed its little soul. Talk about failure. Ah, what to do...

I would try a Water challenge, but like you said, that wouldn't be nearly as difficult as most of the others. =p

I might pick one to try in FireRed at some point. Electric, perhaps (just need to find a way past Brock with nothing other than Pikachu...)

• Administrators
I hear there's an old man outside Pewter city who can help you with that.
Or, like, an over powered quick attack or something.

Finally beat Misty, but it wasn't easy. Made my way down to Vermillion, where I decided, in order to get Flash I should catch some extra Pokemon. Among them happened to be a friendly Drowzee, who I've since been raising.
That leg of the journey came to a halt as I attempted to evolve Kadabra. Technical difficulties still need to be worked out in that regard.

The team so far:

Kadabra- Psykiller- Level 29
Drowzee- Trance- Level 15
Abra- Psycannon- Level 10

• Administrators
Nothing lasts very long against Alakazam.

Speaking of Alakazam, it looks like I won't be able to evolve my Kadabra after all, sigh. But, I picked up a Mr. Mime from a nice man in the middle of nowhere.

Okay, so I just double checked. X-Scissor and U-Turn did not exist in 3rd gen, and the only other decent Bug moves are learned by Bugs that are weak to Psychic or that are not available in FR. <_<

EDIT: I might actually try a Grass challenge. I used to love Grass types, and I'm curious to see if I can rediscover why I liked them. The only gym leader I foresee being difficult for that is Blaine.

• Administrators
Two badges later, and the team is coming along swimmingly. Getting ready to take on Koga, who really should be a breeze, but the problem lies in wading through the 9000+ trainers that lurk between Celadon/Lavender and Fuscia. Ugggghhh.

Kadabra- Psykiller- Level 38- Psychic/Psybeam/Shockwave/Recover
Hypno- Trance- Level 39- Psychic/Headbutt/Hypnosis/Disable
Mr. Mime- Barrien- Level 39- Psybeam/Magical Leaf/Reflect/Substitute
Jynx- Callinda- Level 38- Ice Punch/Water Pulse/Double Slap/Sweet Kiss
Exeggcute- Mirage- Level 29- Leech Seed/Substitute/Stun Spore/Confusion

• 4 weeks later...
This sounds like it could be interesting and I'll give it a try. To be honest, I don't think I have ever fully beat my LeafGreen game >_>

Training up to beat the Elite Four the second time is always a big challenge. Plus, I usually restart the game before I even get to that point. I like playing the story too much to actually finish it I guess. Now as for a type...

Ground? It's always been a favorite type of mine from RBY, especially with the Nidos. But that would only leave me Sandslash, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Graveler, Onix, Marowak, and Rhydon. Probably would use only one of the Nidos and Graveler isn't even fully evolved...so I'd have like 5 1/2.

Might consider doing this on my Emerald game, too

I think you're forgetting Dugtrio, who's a hardass even in D/P.

Anyway, if I do this I'm gonna do it on Blue version, and do Poison. Because Poison is a lot of fun. If not that, then I'm not sure. I don't totally get why they say Flying would be easy.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to start a Bug Challenge today, just because Stars said that it would be too hard :P

There are only 6 Bug Types available and Scyther is FireRed exclusive, so I already know the 5 I [i]have [/i]to use. The last slot will be an HM slave. I'll be updating!

----------------------------------------------------------

[b]Part 1[/b]

The first part of my journey had me having to decide on a nme for myself. Since I was doing a Bug challenge, and because Shelly has appeared to us, I thought there could be no better name tan Bugsy! But then there was the matter of choosing my rivals name and immediately I could think of only one other leader who would be worthy, that be Falkner! The two of us both went to Prof. Oak's place and I then had to decide on a starter that I would ultimately not use. At first I thought of choosing Bulbasaur just so Falkner would use Charmander to make my challenge that much harder and because Charizard is part flying for Falkner, but I had used Bulbasaur two play throughs ago and Charizard might make it too difficult. Didn't want to use Charmander either since I had used that on my last game, so there was no other choice than Squirtle. I dubbed him Ferry because no doubt that's what he will doing for me across the water.

After making my trip to Viridian then delivering a package to Oak, I headed straight for Viridian Forest. There I caught a female Caterpie named Princess and a male Weedle named Ace. It was tough getting these two up to par as all the wild Pokemon were their level, so all the battles were dead heats. Eventually they both evolved into Metapod and Kakuna. I thought that now they were evolved they could take on the Pokemon League, but instead I ran into Falkner. In battle Ace almost beat Pidgey, but the bastard got a critical hit and Princess had to finish up. Princess almost managed to beat his Bulbasaur, but she needed Ferry to weaken it in the end for her to get the win. Falkner left in shame and I went back to Viridian Forest.

Everyone I faced was using the exact team I was, but my guys were better. Ace could poison those pesky Metapods to get around Harden, and Princess could use Shed Skin to get rid of her own poison. By the time we emerged from the forest, both of my friends had evolved into Butterfree and Beedrill! I yearned to have more battles so I tried to leave Pewter, but I was ushered to the local Gym. They said that all the trainers were Bug Catchers and could compare to Brock's Rock Pokemon. I was insulted! I marched in there, beat his only trainer without taking any damage and confronted Brock. This was the battle that ensued.

Bugsy
Ace [Beedrill] - Lvl 10
Princess [Butterfree] - Lvl 10

vs.

Brock
Geodude - Lvl 12
Onix - Lvl 14

Ace fires off a Poison Sting and gets a Critical Hit! But it still barely touches Geodude. Rock Pokemon indeed have strong Defense. Brock starts to Defense Curl to tighten his defenses even more, but I poison him with my next attack! Now Geodude is a ticking bomb. Taking a note from Brock's book, Ace starts to Harden to defend himself while waiting for the poison to chip away at Geodude. Eventually Brock sees what I'm doing and orders a Tackle, but it does a paltry 4 HP to Ace. By the time Geodude maxes out its defense, it's already down to 1/4 HP. Once I max out my own defense, Ace uses Fury Attack and along with poison brings down Geodude. With such and intense battle Ace grows to level 11!

Brock then sends out Onix and I let Ace stay in to try to get some more poison. Onix uses Bind and Tackle, but neither does anything thanks to my own max defense from Harden. Onix misses a Tackle, Rock Tomb and Bind, but I still can't manage to poison it. I need that poison so Princess can come in for the kill without fearing Rock Tomb too much. The least Ace can do is use String Shot to slow down Onix. Eventually Ace falls, having only made sure that Princess will be faster. Onix still took some damage from Poison Sting, however little. Will Confusion be enough? We'll never know, because Princess gets a Critical Hit! Take THAT Brock! So fierce is the win that Princess also levels up to level 11!

And with that the Boulder Badge is won. But what is next? There are surely more trainers waiting on Route 3 to Mt. Moon, and who know what I'll find there, perhaps some no good criminals. Brock may have been a Gym Leader, but he was only the first. Tune in next time as I try to catch my 3rd Bug member!

[b]Part 2[/b]

I'm a combination of tired and lazy right now, so just going to give a brief description before the gym battle. Caught myself a Paras in Mt. Moon for my 3rd Bug type and then I beat my rival Falkner. Now on to battle Misty! Here is the team break down:

Ace [Beedrill] - Lvl 22
Princess [Butterfree] - Lvl 22
Goomba [Paras] - Lvl 20

VS.

Staryu - Lvl 18
Starmie - Lvl 21

Misty: Hi, you're a new face! Only those Trainers who have a policy about Pokemon can turn pro.
Bugsy: Like...don't eat your Miltank?
Misty: What is your approach when you catch and train Pokemon?
Bugsy: Nothing but Bugs. All....5 of them.
Misty: My policy is an all-out offensive with Water-type Pokemon!
Bugsy: As opposed to an all out defensive? I mean really.

Leader Misty would like to battle!

Misty sent out Staryu!
Bugsy sent out Goomba!

Staryu used Harden!
Goomba used Poisonpowder but misses...
Staryu Hardens again! Screwed with using Scratch now.
Goomba sprinkles out Poisonpowder again and hits! Staryu is poisoned!
Staryu continues to Harden! This...doesn't look like an "all out offensive"
Goomba used Scratch! CRITICAL HIT!
Staryu used Water Pulse! FINALLY she attacks, but it still barely does nothing. Yay part Grass~
Goomba Scratches! Staryu is down to 1/4 health.
Staryu uses Water Pulse again.
Goomba steals some health back with Leech Life, but only gets 3 HP.
Misty uses a Super Potion! Son of a bitch!
Goomba uses Leech Life again, thinking he'd just finish off Staryu.
Staryu uses Water Pulse again for not very effective damage.
Goomba uses Scratch and with Poison, Staryu is already below half health.
Staryu uses Water Pulse...again. At least it isn't using Recover.
Goomba Scratches the heck out of Staryu again, now down to less than 1/4 HP.
Water Pulse from Staryu.
Scratch attack! Goomba finishes off Staryu!
Staryu is Knocked Out!

Misty sends out Starmie!
Bugsy sends out Ferry!

...what? He's death fodder so I can heal Goomba.

Bugsy uses a Super Potion on Goomba!
Starmie uses Swift! Brings Ferry down to 1/4 HP.
Starmie uses Swift again, making Ferry go belly up.
Ferry has been Knocked Out!

Bugsy sends out Goomba!

Starmie uses Swift! Brings Goomba down to 1/2 HP. Uh oh...
Goomba uses Poisonpowder and inflicts Starmie with said status!
Starmie used Swift!
Goomba used Leech Life! Brings him back to 1/3 HP, but 1/3 is less than the 1/2 Swift is doing.

Bugsy withdraws Goomba!
Bugsy sends out ACE!

Starmie hits with Swift, dealing around 1/4 damage. That's more like it.
Starmie uses Water Pulse!
Ace uses Twin Needle! Even though it strikes twice, only one is needed to finish off Starmie.
That's what you getting for being Psychic you stupid starfish! PSYduck should be Psychic, not you!

Starmie is Knocked Out!

Bugsy defeated Misty

Misty: Wow! You're too much! All right! You can have the Cascade Badge to show you beat me.

Bugsy got $2100 for winning!
Bugsy got TM03: Water Pulse

That's all for this time. If anyone cares, tell me if you care about my exploits between Gyms. Otherwise I'll just do this from now on. Until next time!

Meh. No one else has been posting here so I don't think anyone is really taking an interest in the Mono-Type challenge. So keeping it short.

Bugsy vs. Lt. Surge

Ace beats Voltorb and takes no damage.

Ace beats Pikachu and takes no damage. Plus, his Pikachu was weaker than the 3 other Pikachus in the Gym which is sad.

Ace beats Raichu and takes minimum damage.

Bugsy wins. Yay...

• Administrators
I've been reading your battles too, I just haven't played much of my own lately.

I'm one One Island, actually, having just beat Blaine. However, Kingdom Hearts currently owns my soul, so that'll have to wait.

I was talking more about people just posting in the topic. Now that I'm thinking about it, don't know what I wanted people to talk about though. Just....something. People commenting on what they like or don't like or making suggestions or reminiscing or something. Looking back now I don't think I really commented on anyone elses exploits, then again there wasn't a lot of activity before.

• 1 month later...