Found something about Teknite Ridge

MobiusFlip

In part of Teknite Ridge, the move Tailwind must be used in battle to let you jump longer distances between rock pillars. But actually, as I just found out today, using the move Whirlwind in battle has the same effect. Which means it's possible, if you're willing to spend enough time, to find a wild Braviary and wait for it to use Whirlwind instead of bringing along any Pokemon with Tailwind yourself. Anyone know if any other moves besides these two have the same effect?

8 hours ago, MobiusFlip said:

In part of Teknite Ridge, the move Tailwind must be used in battle to let you jump longer distances between rock pillars. But actually, as I just found out today, using the move Whirlwind in battle has the same effect. Which means it's possible, if you're willing to spend enough time, to find a wild Braviary and wait for it to use Whirlwind instead of bringing along any Pokemon with Tailwind yourself. Anyone know if any other moves besides these two have the same effect?

I just tested the whirlwind thing out with my Mandibuzz in Teknite Ridge, it did not work. So Tailwind is the only move that can allow you to jump. However, they do not have the same effect in battle. Whirlwind swaps pokemon in an opponents team (eg if you used whirlwind on Julia's Voltorb, she could send out any of the mons on her team that are alive) or end the battle if a wild encounter. Tailwind increases the speed of your whole team for 5(?) turns.

55 minutes ago, Abyssreaper99 said:

I just tested the whirlwind thing out with my Mandibuzz in Teknite Ridge, it did not work. So Tailwind is the only move that can allow you to jump. However, they do not have the same effect in battle. Whirlwind swaps pokemon in an opponents team (eg if you used whirlwind on Julia's Voltorb, she could send out any of the mons on her team that are alive) or end the battle if a wild encounter. Tailwind increases the speed of your whole team for 5(?) turns.

I don't believe he was saying that their battle effects are the same, it is also quite possible something else caused the wind to pick up in Teknite Ridge that he wasn't aware of and assumed it to be Whirlwind, he may have also simply not noticed tailwind used or some such.

13 minutes ago, Lord Drakyle said:

I don't believe he was saying that their battle effects are the same, it is also quite possible something else caused the wind to pick up in Teknite Ridge that he wasn't aware of and assumed it to be Whirlwind, he may have also simply not noticed tailwind used or some such.

I mean easy mistake to make considering they both end in "wind"

1 minute ago, Abyssreaper99 said:

I mean easy mistake to make considering they both end in "wind"

i hear you on that one, also perhaps he battled a pokemon that used tailwind and didn't notice and then got into a battle with Braviary, it used whirlwind pushing him out of the battle and then he noticed the tailwind effect or a message popped up about it after the battle? Wierd stuff happens.

That's possible. The exact thing that happened was that I got into a double battle (had Taka with me) with a Braviary and a different Pokemon that I don't remember. None of my Pokemon had Tailwind, and I don't think any of Taka's do either. The wild Braviary used Whirlwind, and the move missed, so the battle continued, but both wild Pokemon got knocked out later in the same round. When the battle ended, the wind had picked up. It's possible that the other wild Pokemon used Tailwind and I missed it, but I didn't think anything in the area could retain Tailwind at their levels.

The wild Talonflame and Pidgeot in Teknite Ridge can have Tailwind, as it's one of the last four moves they learn via level up, so that was probably it. This does mean that you don't have to bring Tailwind yourself, though, indeed.