Sleeping problems

Lorisaur

Hi everyone, I'm "new" to this problems but it's some days that I can't sleep at all or maybe just a couple hours per night.

I have a moderately intense phisical activity (I bike for hours every day just like a pokemon protagonist) and I do not have stressful situations going on. No problems with food, either.

I never drink alcohol and very rarely coffee (not recently). I am also not travelling, so there are no jet lag issues or something like that. 

I've tried chamomile and similar things, but never works

I'm just 18 and I categorically refuse to use medicines for sleeping. Can anyone give me some advices? I would really appreciate, thank you

Do you do any tasks that require a lot of brain activity before you sleep or staying on your computer/phone until just before you go bed? I've heard that if you have some time to have a break from everything for a certain amount of time before bed, it gives your brain the time to reduce the amount of thoughts going through your mind. There's also the environment you're sleeping in to consider, is the temperature too warm/cold? Adjusting the temperature to the right amount may also help with this.

Before going to sleep , take a book and read a bit , or listen music. Your brain will be appeased. It can sound stupid but it's probably the best cure to this , and avoid computer , phone etc. 

As others (and you) have stated, avoiding screens is extra beneficial as the light they provide is perceived as being in a state of alert from our brains. Also, try taking a warm shower. Your body temperature will drop after you're done, which is similar to what becomes of our body temperature when sleeping, so you're basically tricking your brain that you're about to sleep, thus making it happen.

Or if you're a student like me, try to study. Genuinely studying always brings lots of yawning to me 🤭🤭.

As a matter of fact, if you don't feel exhausted while sleeping for just few hours, that's for the better. Psychologically speaking, it means you're living a happier life, as the more pleased you are with your current state of living, the less you need to sleep. (The opposite is also true, being depressed entails needing more hours of sleep in order to avoid reality).

Hope that helps!

Three words: Read a book. Also another thing you can do is try to get into the habit of going to bed earlier, and getting up earlier that helps me. Too much sleep is a bad thing, so if you find yourself getting up at 8am daily try to get up at 6 or even 5. Also try not to drink caffeine before bed and eating before bed as well. 

Thank you!! I've always tried to avoid using phone or pc before sleeping, I have started reading before bed several months ago

1 hour ago, Lucreto said:

As others (and you) have stated, avoiding screens is extra beneficial as the light they provide is perceived as being in a state of alert from our brains. Also, try taking a warm shower. Your body temperature will drop after you're done, which is similar to what becomes of our body temperature when sleeping, so you're basically tricking your brain that you're about to sleep, thus making it happen.

Or if you're a student like me, try to study. Genuinely studying always brings lots of yawning to me 🤭🤭.

As a matter of fact, if you don't feel exhausted while sleeping for just few hours, that's for the better. Psychologically speaking, it means you're living a happier life, as the more pleased you are with your current state of living, the less you need to sleep. (The opposite is also true, being depressed entails needing more hours of sleep in order to avoid reality).

Hope that helps!

It's sad to say that I don't sleep but I'm super tired, and it's weird. I'll try to study before bed or something like that