how do you deal with anxiety

Samtale

• Developers

I've been anxious lately it's happened a few times in my life before where one thing/subject just makes me mentally paralyzed which leads into depression and it goes away for bits when I distract myself but the anxiety comes back and it hurts those around me. My medications stopped working and talking about it doesnt help. Please if anyone has suggestions of dealing with anxiety beyond just medication. Its turning into full blown depression I want it to end. Things I usually enjoy now I don't and daily tasks are a chore. 😞 but I'm not suicidal I'm too scared to do anything like that.

Sorry for the rambling I'm typing this under stress. I sincerely thank anyones suggestions in advance

Guest Relinquished

You can always invest in psychology books. Lately, lots of psychologists write books in common language with understandable terminology, like manuals or small guides... Aiming to give to the reader some basic understanding, as well as quick hints and tips, to overcome their small, daily problems. I call that "pocket-psychology for beginners". Some of those books helped me a great deal in the past. Not only with anxiety, but with other, much common issues, as well. 

Try mindfulness meditation. There are books, videos and classes out there that help you learn how to meditate and I find it really helps me when I start feeling bad. You don't need to be religious or spiritual or be of any faith, you just need to be willing to give it a few tries -- not every meditation experience is the same.

Try Mingyur Rinpoche's Youtube channel -- he's a Buddhist monk who used to have panic disorders and anxiety but who learned meditation growing up. He learned to overcome his panic/fear through practice. I find he explains things very well.

Change things. Do new things. Scrap routine. Do what you gotta do to survive no matter what others may think. Summon your willpower and balls to do it.

I'd avoid the books and recommend physical activity over it any day. No matter what kind of activity as long as it drains you. 

Do what you gotta do - my recent moto

1 hour ago, LemonJones said:

Change things. Do new things. Scrap routine. Do what you gotta do to survive no matter what others may think. Summon your willpower and balls to do it.

I'd avoid the books and recommend physical activity over it any day. No matter what kind of activity as long as it drains you. 

Do what you gotta do - my recent moto

I don't think avoiding books entirely is the way to go. OP can learn something from reading; it's about balancing relaxation with exercise. Exercise will definitely help get those endorphins firing, as will a good diet, but sometimes a good book can help more than a decent run. It can also help keep you on-track and motivated.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Books never worked for me. I might have read something potentially useful but the end result was the same as before - sleepless and anxious. Pissed me off in fact. Doesn't mean it won't work for the OP. Wasn't my intention to disrespect.

I get random anxieties too. But in the end, it doesn't mean anything and whatever you did was actually something positive! 🙂

What I suggest is that you find a place where you are comfortable being in. It can be your bed, a place on the internet that you can laugh and enjoy being in, a place where you can hang out and have fun, or anything really. You could imagine being in paradise full of awesome people right before you fall asleep at night!

I also suggest listening to music. Do you like techno, instrumental, songs, remixes or rock? Maybe even anime or gaming music? It's worth it!

I recommend to always focus on positivity. Find your inspiration and embrace whatever good vibes are thrown at you!

Enjoy life as there's a lot of things you'll soon discover! 😄

For me personally, it helps to sit down and identify what I'm particularly anxious about. Sometimes it's just Generalized Bad Feelings, but most of the time there's a source — a problem that needs to be resolved, or one coming up in the future. Once you've identified what is spiking your anxiety so hard, you can start looking for ways to curb your anxiety by dealing with that thing (even in the tiniest ways). For example: anxious about your grades? Make a point to spend an extra hour working on schoolwork per day, or more if you want/can. That way, when anxiety rears its ugly head, you can say "Look. I studied extra today. I've done my work to prepare for this thing." Even if you don't succeed, you can stare your anxiety in the face and say, "I've done everything I can to solve this problem/avoid this outcome today, so back off."

And of course, sometimes it turns out to be a much simpler process than you thought, and you can knock out a lot of what the anxiety is 'feeding' off of.

If it is Generalized Bad Feelings, sometimes there's an underlying cause that's not readily apparent (eg. stress from school or work over a prolonged period of time), or sometimes your brain has just decided that it especially hates you. In those times, it helps to find something distracting that you can put your effort into. Preferably something creative or productive; even if it's just leveling up in a video game, at the end of the day you can say, "Oh! I gained this achievement I've been trying for today. I feel really accomplished!" That way, in addition to having the distraction from the anxious thoughts, you also have little things you can pat yourself on the back for.

Kick it in the balls.

Honestly you need to find out what destresses you. For me it's exercise. For you it might be drawing, or playing a game, or whatever. 
Additionally, don't let problems linger or mount. Letting something bother you for a longer period of time is a mental death sentence, yeah you might not want to confront it but it's better in the long run, as cliche as it sounds.