Don't ever make a Pokemon Game with guns.

I once had this really bad Idea.

There were things I had to consider with this idea. Such as, If guns exist, why use pokemon? The Solution that I came up with was to buff pokemon so that even pokemon as weak as Ralts could react and deflect or reflect bullets, meaning Pokemon would almost always be a better combat option.

So if Pokemon outclass guns in every way, why use guns? Well, guns have other uses other than Open Combat, such as picking off an enemy stealthily (Use a darn suppressor). Or it could be a last attempt for defense. Therefore, a pokemon, while usually able to defend themselves, have blind spots. But how would a human be able to exploit those blind spots? My solution is that over time, Humans evolved from Pokemon (or more specifically, Humans and Pokemon share common ancestors. This is still a rather sensitive subject). Since Pokemon are faster and stronger than real world animals, by that logic, humans should as well? Just slightly weaker? I would imagine that this logic applies even in Reborn, where we see Amaria survive an attack from a Tyranitar of all things, which should at least have the ability to bust mountains and change landscapes.

When I was twelve, I thought that this was a pretty cool Idea. Now, I'm not so sure.

Aren't their pokemon in Smash Bros, and Bayonetta is also in Smash Bros, and a Greninja main like me has had to fight a constant stream of Bayonetta players on For Glory. Bayonetta uses a lot of guns. 

I know that Saphira and Titania kill people in Pokemon Reborn, but does that justify having a tool that's mainly used for killing others in a game like this?

When I was young, I just wanted a Pokemon game where the trainer could fight too. Except my ideas strayed far away from realism and into the realm where Sword combat was viable due to humans being able to react and deflect bullets, like this was Afro Samurai or Metal Gear. This actually originated from reading the Pokemon Adventures manga, where Giovanni stated that Pokemon weren't merely meant to be sent out and commanded, and that the trainer's own speed, and skill also mattered, such as where you placed the pokeball, or how fast you reacted to an incoming attack. It was most notable when Bruno and Red had their fights in Volumes 6 (Flashback) and 7, but It also mattered in a lot of other battles. Exaggerate those abilities, to the point where their reactions surpass the speed of Sound, and you pretty much have an Anime. And that was the problem. My thinking was way too Anime.

Then, I thought; What's the point if It doesn't serve a purpose in the gameplay? This is a video game, after all.

If I were to do it, It would probably be a pretty horrid stylistic choice. Therefore, please don't do it, unless you're ultra-sure that it won't mess with the tone of your game. Or if you can't have it contribute to the gameplay in a meaningful way.

2 minutes ago, PokeFailure said:

There goes my pokemon Bazooka game I totally was working on. 

....I really should add on to this.

Unless your game doesn't take itself too seriously, and is mostly a comedy or parody. I could see it working there. Comedies are often very unpredictable.

I know you were joking, but I felt the need to add on to this.

44 minutes ago, kainwill said:

But what if I make a gun that shoots pokeball instead??? 

That actually wouldn't be out of place in the Manga. Shoot your ball at the opponents pokemon. When the Mon is released, they'll be able to fire off an easy to land attack because they've been placed in close proximity with a lot of potential energy that could be turned kinetic.

Unless your game doesn't take itself too seriously, and is mostly a comedy or parody. I could see it working there.

TBH, I agree that it works well in a "parody" and if it was a pokemon or fakemon that's using it as a custom move.

With the right sound effects, battle animations and additional effects, it'll be fun to use over and over again.

Of course, I'm not talking about real guns that defy reality to literally kill things. That is indeed a poor choice to use in a Pokemon game.

Maybe a tranquilizer gun or something that doesn't represent reality (like a messy, dark death) would totally be alright. 👍

Also, if the gun used in a parody game had like low PP, +1 priority, multiple hits and/or paralysis chance, you could make a strategy out of this just for fun.

How do you know gun works on Pokemon? On Aggron whose body is made of Steel?

I remember having a story idea involves on Human getting terror by Pokemon because they're really huge and really heavy.

Then human makes a dangerous invention called Pokeball, which not only make Pokemon powerless against human but also inducing brainwashing and that pokeball works on human too.

But the more I think about it, the more it get darker so I decided not to continue it.

7 hours ago, Night Fighter said:

TBH, I agree that it works well in a "parody" and if it was a pokemon or fakemon that's using it as a custom move.

With the right sound effects, battle animations and additional effects, it'll be fun to use over and over again.

Of course, I'm not talking about real guns that defy reality to literally kill things. That is indeed a poor choice to use in a Pokemon game.

Maybe a tranquilizer gun or something that doesn't represent reality (like a messy, dark death) would totally be alright. 👍

Also, if the gun used in a parody game had like low PP, +1 priority, multiple hits and/or paralysis chance, you could make a strategy out of this just for fun.

Although to be fair, People always survive gunshots in the Sci Fi Based Final Fantasy games. How does that even work? I don't see someone like Aerith (Aeris, whatever) surviving a gunshot. But she always does. 

• 4 years later...