Back to Basics III: Hope Plus One (Game, Set, and Match)

Filthy Casual

Oh, boy, you probably didn’t expect this, did you? I know I sure as hell didn’t!

This is the third game in our training series. The purpose of these games is to improve the interactions among players, and as such, are much simpler than a typical game. Roles have been simplified, creating a more traditional mafia experience during both day and night phases. Think of this as the Red/Blue/Yellow of mafia games without the glitches, bugs, and poorly coded type matchups (Seriously, ghost not affecting psychic? Come on guys lol). However, simpler does not always guarantee victory. Who shall prevail in this new game? Who shall fall victim? Will Goku ever defeat the newest villain’s ulltimate Super Duper Ultimate Maximum Saiyan Form? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEE!

…okay, but now that you’re done, what the hell is mafia?

Spoiler

Mafia started as a social experiment, produced first by psychologists to observe speech patterns and discern methods of manipulation via speech and general demeanor. Here, however it's a roleplaying game of deduction, co-operation, logic and analysis, emotion and fallacies. You will be divided into two main opposing factions: the uninformed majority, commonly known as "Town", and the informed minority, also known as "Mafia" or "Scum". The latter share a private chat in which they discuss about their night actions, the way to trick town, and of course whom to kill during the night. Usually a Third Party is also part of the equation, but here, for the sake of learning, we've decided to exclude it. Typically they have their own agendas and win-conditions, but that won't be a problem here.

At the beginning of the game, every participant will receive a DM or PM with their role and its description. In our game, roles have specific alignments.

There are two main phases in the game.

(1) The Day Phase

Typically it lasts 48 hours and during that time players have the opportunity to discuss about several things. These include the events that have transpired the previous night(s), the behavior of other players, and the goals and flow of the game. The ultimate goal of the day phase is for each faction to identify and eliminate members of the opposing one. Town players will try to hunt for scum, while mafia players will simply try to blend in and remove all suspicion. Before the day ends, people are expected to case a vote on whom they wish to lynch, and the player with most votes will be eliminated.

(2) The Night Phase

Typically it lasts 24 hours and during that time players are not allowed to post in the thread. Those who have night actions and special abilities related to their role, are supposed to send them to me via DMs or PMs. The mafia are allowed to discuss in their private chat and submit their factional night kill. 

The game continues until one of the factions meets the criteria for their win-condition.

Nice, but is there a theme?

Spoiler

So those of you who know me know that I love the Mystery Dungeon games to death. As such, you’ll be in a guild. However, Officer Magnezone has informed your guild that some members are actually thieves, and it is up to you to determine who. Be careful, though! The thieves will do everything they can in their power to send you to prison instead (It’s still Mystery Dungeon, no one actually dies. They just disappear, get destroyed, or cease to be. Totally different, I swear).

So what are the factions?

Spoiler

Wigglytuff’s Guild

Oh, by the way, this game is influenced by Explorers of Sky, so the members of the guild are the members of Wigglytuff’s Guild! This guild acts as the town for this game. Don’t worry, though: there will be nobody from the Chikorita line in this game serving in the guild or the mafia. Speaking of mafia…

Meganium sucks lol

The Real Team Skull and not that Alolan garbage

That’s right, we’ve got a Mafia (no shit)! They’re the ones on the run from Officer Magnezone. If you end up in this faction, it’ll be your job to frame other members and have them arrested before you are caught! And if you think there’s no way the Guild in cannon could fall for it, let me remind you they TOTALLY do (especially Chatot).

Cool, but you titled it “Hope Plus One”. What does that mean for the specific roles?

Spoiler

Town

10 Members

7 are Vanilla

They don't have any night actions. They’re kind of bad, like in the main story, but you at least get to contribute your two cents in the day. These members are Sunflora, Loudred, Bidoof, Chimecho, Corphish, Diglett, and Dugtrio (the hero and partner are off on some quest at this point). You win when the mafia have been arrested.

2 are Macho Doctors

These STRONK doctors have the ability to protect a person from being framed every night. Let’s say both doctors target the same person, however. In that instance, the protect will fail. These two roles are held by Wigglytuff and Chatot (and let’s be frank; if they did meet try to protect the same person, Chatot would totally try to kiss ass to Wigglytuff, causing them to be distracted). You win when the mafia have been arrested.

1 is a Town Cop

This particular role is held by Croagunk. He somehow knows just about everything, despite always being in the distance keeping to his swap shop. Every night, he will investingate one person each night by PMing the mod (aka me). You’ll get results back in the form of town/mafia. While you’re fucking weird, you’re also guaranteed to be sane. However, there’s a catch; if one of the macho doctors die, you yourself become macho, meaning all protections targeting you will fail. You win when the mafia have been arrested.

Mafia

3 are Mafia Goons

The objective is simple; frame all members of Wigglytuff’s Guild before they can discover your dastardly deeds. Every night, the mafia will be able to converse in a separate chat set up by me, allowing them to determine who gets framed and who survives for at least one more day. The three here are Koffing, Zubat, and ya boi Skuntank. You win when either all town members have been eliminated or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

How about those sweet, succulent rules?

Spoiler

1. The Reborn Community Rules apply here. Double posting is allowed.

2. All Player Discussion must be kept in the thread. The mafia private chat can also be utilized. Any other form of communication outside of those will result in a modkill and me finding out where you live.

3. Day Phase lasts for 48 hours. Players must make at least 3 posts. Failure to fulfill the post requirements will result in a warning. If inactivity persists, you'll get replaced or modkilled. I might have someone stalk you.

4. Voting for elimination is done in this format [Eliminate] Player A or similar formats. It has to be in bold, and not in a spoiler. Changing of votes may be done in this format [Unvote] Player A, [Eliminate] Player B. In a case of tie, a player will be lynched randomly. You may vote for a [NO LYNCH]

5. Night Phase lasts for 24 hours. During that time you are not allowed to post in the thread. Violation of this rule results in a warning. If done twice, you get modkilled. You may send me your night actions if you have any. If you wish to abstain, you might as well inform me. 

6. Sharing of Role PMs/DMs in any form is not allowed. If caught, you get modkilled.

7. If you are eliminated in any way, you may leave a final post. If you post includes vital information such as alignment or night actions, it will be deleted. Even if the information is wrong, it will still be deleted.

8. Actions, Day or Night, will be sent to me via Discord.

9. Editing of posts is discouraged. Minor corrections are fine, but major ones better be added in a 2nd or multiple posts. Quote or Highlight your previous posts to show the additions/corrections/removals or other forms of edit.

10. Have fun. Remember, there is no I in team but there is a me if you rearrange the letters

There shall be a total of thirteen slots for this game. This means signups will be going quite quickly, so make sure to sign up fast! Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you all soon!

1) Cataline

2) Venus

3) purplecicada

4) Caimie

5) Captain Breakfast

6) Bean

7) L'Belle

8 ) Mr. Knightly

9) Bok Choi

10) Jason Grace

11) andracass

12) ZeroPassion

13) LykosHand

Jurors:

Walpurgis

Drak

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 1: A Fresh New Beginning

It was a warm summer day. The members of Wigglytuff's Guild were preparing for their usual day, chanting their usual morning chant.

"And three, smiles go for mi-"

Suddenly, bursting through the wall arrived some familiar faces: Officer Magnezone and his Magnemite deputies! While often focused and ready for action, today, there was a look of intense fright on his face. 

"ZZZT! We're in serious trouble, guys! ZZZT!"

Magnezone proceeded to explain to his guild that some very rare and exclusive items had been stolen from Kecleon's Mart. If they couldn't be found, surely they would be put out of business.

"ZZZT! We don't know who did it, but we can tell that the job had to be accomplished by at least three Pokemon. I know I barged in suddenly, but we don't have time for subtleties. It had to have been at least three of you! ZZZT!"

The guild was in quite the pickle. Their two newest recruits were off exploring some waterfall, so those two were automatically ruled out.

"ZZZT! I'll be back by the end of the day! By the time I get back, I expect you all to nominate at least one Pokemon for questioning. Thank you for your continued assistance! ZZZT!"

Day 1 has officially begun! You have 48 hours to decide who you wish to eliminate.