CodeCass

So I've been waiting with bated breath for Hollow Knight to ever release on the Switch. I'm not much of a PC gamer, so I was trying to bide my time. Then lo and behold! Yesterday during Nintendo's E3 Direct, amongst all the Smash and Pokémon hype, they announced that Hollow Knight was releasing THAT DAY! So you can bet your sweet buns that I downloaded that sucker as soon as I got off work on the old Switch!

Hoo boy! I'm already hooked! Hollow Knight, I'm somewhat ashamed to say, is my first real step into the Metroidvania genre. (I didn't even know that "Metroidvania" was a term until looking up info for Hollow Knight early on.) That's a little embarrassing to say seeing as I've played just about every known genre of games there is at this point...I think...Hell I even played Hatoful Boyfriend, but that's beside the point!

Hollow Knight might just be the best $15.00 I've spent in a long time! Controls are super tight and fluid! Combat is great. Art style and music are wonderful! Story is dark and mysterious, but also sort of cute and quirky...think Binding of Isaac. As much as I love me some Souls-likes, I hate to constantly compare everything to Dark Souls. Mostly because nowadays saying something is "like Dark Souls" is just basically saying "It's difficult".  But Hollow Knight does sort of have a Soulsy feel to it with it's dark world, vague story, and "souls" mechanic. 

I've played the game for only about 3 hours so far, but I'm already hooked!

What about you guys and gals? Have any of you tried out Hollow Knight on the Switch or PC yet? What did you think of it?

header.jpg

Edited by CodeCass
Added a picture because pictures are fun

I've played the pc version a lot and it has definitely become one of my favourite games. The amount of gameplay compared with the price is insane and they're still going to add two free DLC's! This game might honestly be perfect and nearly flawless, I love it and it kinda saddens me that it didn't get the recognition it deserved. (I mean, it's not unpopular or anything, but I feel like it still deserved more).

Can't wait for Gods and Glory, it looks fantastic already. Have fun playing!

Glad you've enjoyed it too @Just2Reborn! I'm adoring it so far. I wasn't aware there was still more to come. Admittedly I haven't researched the game much. I thought it looked interesting upon release, then watched CohhCarnage's playthough of it and fell in love. Just so glad it finally came to the Switch. I love how tight it handles and the thought of being able to play it on both the TV or on-the-go really appeals to me! 

It almost sounds like what CD Projekt Red did with the Witcher 3, where they made a quality game with tons of content already, only to add more for free!

• Global Mods

I absolutely loved it on PC, and I'm not even a big metroidvania or souls game player. It's rough at times, but the atmosphere created by the art and music and world design and lore is just excellent. I 100%'d it (well 105/106% with Grimm Troupe) without even really intending to initially, I just wanted to keep exploring to find and do more stuff before finishing the main stuff. absolutely worth getting the true ending as well, and I'll probably replay the whole thing when Gods & Glory comes out (which will be the 4th big FREE update, before the big paid DLC comes out which will have basically a second story playing as Hornet from what we know).  

Only real flaw for me was that the rest points are a little bit infrequent, so certain areas can have a bit too much corpse-running to get back to where you were. 

seriously this game should cost more for what you get, team cherry deserve all the monies

Played it on PC; it's a great game in design, story, narration, art as well as music. There's a lot to do and many hidden secrets to unearth; it occupied me for a full 80 hours on my first run, including all the free DLC content. There's yet another expansion coming up, so be sure to await it.

Hoo boy am I digging this game. It's getting those old Soulsborne feeling ramped up again though. I keep getting shut down by "The Soul Master". Trying to git gud and take this thing down! 

• Global Mods
17 minutes ago, CodeCass said:

Hoo boy am I digging this game. It's getting those old Soulsborne feeling ramped up again though. I keep getting shut down by "The Soul Master". Trying to git gud and take this thing down! 

ooh Soul Master is fairly tough. I found it was a fight where I got hit quite a lot, but there were lots of windows where you could squeeze in a quick heal. so unlike faster bosses like hornet where you should try to avoid damage as much as possible, for soul master it's more ok as long as you're trading blows to keep up your soul gauge, and taking those opportunities to heal whenever possible. that's just my personal experience with him though.

Just now, DreamblitzX said:

ooh Soul Master is fairly tough. I found it was a fight where I got hit quite a lot, but there were lots of windows where you could squeeze in a quick heal. so unlike faster bosses like hornet where you should try to avoid damage as much as possible, for soul master it's more ok as long as you're trading blows to keep up your soul gauge, and taking those opportunities to heal whenever possible. that's just my personal experience with him though.

Gottcha! I'll keep that in mind when I take him on again this evening! 

Well howbout dat I just beat soul master yesterday. when he disappears to launch his thingys from both sides inward stand still until one is above you then dash outside. He also always will pop back in on the left after that move. As the other dude said take every chance you need to heal, use the charm that lets you focus quicker if you got that yet. Took me plenty of attempts but I always did best when I didn't get too greedy trying to strike him and took my time avoiding his attacks. I totally haven't been binge playing this or anything lmao.

49 minutes ago, DiamondTiaraIsBest said:

Just a reminder for those who don't know, you can attack downwards while jumping and that will let you bounce off spikes/other hard places.

It took me far too long to realize this in game. I'm surprised it never tells you! 

Yeah it does seem like some of the bosses have an easy way of beating them, and then others are much harder! 

I have it on PC, not Switch, but Hollow Knight is just a really good game across the board. Intense boss fights, awesome ambiance, and an intriguing world and story to go with it. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up also getting it on the Switch down the line. xD

15 hours ago, Eviora said:

I have it on PC, not Switch, but Hollow Knight is just a really good game across the board. Intense boss fights, awesome ambiance, and an intriguing world and story to go with it. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up also getting it on the Switch down the line. xD

I adore it on the Switch. I'm told it's excellent on PC as well though. I just love being able to play it on the tv and being able to take it to the office with me. Giving me a great excuse to play my Switch again! 

Finally took down Soul Master! That guy was a pain! That bad thing is, his fight wasn't even the hardest part. Getting to him is what was such a pain after each loss. So glad I can move on now!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...