Tips and Tricks for Reborn

Rydork

Hey guys, kinda new to Reborn (Only just got my third gym badge) and I am having to repeat those main battles quite a few times before I am successful. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for those tougher battles WITHOUT SPOILERS so I can beat them on less attempts. I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place on the forums, I tried my best to post in the right spot 😂

Edited by Rydork

1.) Make sure you go into every gym battle 2-3 levels below your max level limit. You'll still be leveled higher than your opponent and this way you won't lose control of your pokemon during the battle.

2.) Don't be too focused on a core party. Often times your party from one gym to the next will look entirely different, and often times key additions to your party can be made in the areas made available to you right before the gym battle.

3.) Money and items are very plentiful in Reborn, don't be afraid to use them in a pinch. Revives can be found while mining and X items can be found littered across the map at every turn.

4.) The gym battles in Reborn are intended to be very difficult, more often than not you will have to attempt a gym more than once. Even if it's to see the opponents order and then reorder your own mons, don't expect to win the battle the first time.

Hmm

-Abuse wonder trade putting in whatever garbage pkmn you dont need till you get better pkmn 

-Let ya pkmn hold onto beneficial items

-perhaps train some more pokemon to gain more type advantage

-Over train pokemon so they evolve then use common candys to bring them down to a level where they will obey you

-click on every rock you see there's some really rare hidden items in the map

Edited by Carnage

Have a diverse Pokemon team. One helpful tip, sometimes the wild Pokemon that are near Gyms are the ones that are the most helpful to that gym battle. Example: Diggersby is effective against Corey and a Bunnelby can be caught (it's rare though) just beside Beryl Graveyard outside his gym.

I agree with those guys above. Beware with lvl, some gym leaders do have Pokemon at the highes lvl possible for it's cap.

Ame is very skilled in select when each pokemon will be availabe. Try getting all event pokemons and look everywhere, you'll be amused with some less used pokemon can do. Meowstic is a great example, for me at least.

The fun of reborn is it's dificulty, abusing wonder trade or trade itself, do ease the game, but spoils all the fun.

If you still want to try trading, there are some Pokemons that are outstanding on Reborn, I'll put them on a Spoiler box. It's your choice 🙂

Spoiler

Blaziken, Greninja, Magnezone, Gardevoir, Gengar, Gyarados and pseudolegendaries

1 hour ago, Rydork said:

Hey guys, kinda new to Reborn (Only just got my third gym badge) and I am having to repeat those main battles quite a few times before I am successful. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for those tougher battles WITHOUT SPOILERS so I can beat them on less attempts. I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place on the forums, I tried my best to post in the right spot

Specifically for the right after the Shelly battle, go back under the Grand Staircase and use Rock Smash to explore the area some more until you get the Mining Kit. I really can't overstate just how important getting that item is. It makes your life much, much less difficult. Otherwise, as others have said have a diverse team and be prepared to swap out Pokemon as better ones become available or they are at a disadvantage in new areas. If you don't want to look up key battles be prepared to lose the first time and come back. Use the first battle to scout out as many Pokemon as possible to learn moves and items.

Guest Relinquished

Use "bad" pokemon that learn strong moves (ex Earthquake Donphan).

Always use a Poison type, or even better, a Poison/Dark one!

In double battles, use pokemon with moves that hit all opponents and have decent Att/Sp.Att stat (ex Discharge Manectric); ideally with an ally that can evade them (protect, ability, type, etc).

In NPC group double battles, always kill first the enemy pokemon types that are super-effective to them.

Always keep a quick-claw equipped, perish song or destiny bond user, around. Event ghost pokemon can have Destiny Bond as a random bonus move right from the start, if you are lucky. THE solution, for Pluse and overlevelled bosses.

I haven't tried it until very recently, but do keep a full HP IV/EV Ditto, around. It can foil and counter many threats, in a pinch...

In extremely difficult encounters, don't be afraid to use your focus sashes. They are very rare, but when we reach the last floor of Obsidia store, we can buy from unlimited stock.

Item-hunt early for nice stuff; Bright Powder, Quick Claw, Black Sludge, are very near the beginning of the game! You can get a nasty edge, over key fights.

4 hours ago, BrazenCrown254 said:

1.) Make sure you go into every gym battle 2-3 levels below your max level limit. You'll still be leveled higher than your opponent and this way you won't lose control of your pokemon during the battle.

2.) Don't be too focused on a core party. Often times your party from one gym to the next will look entirely different, and often times key additions to your party can be made in the areas made available to you right before the gym battle.

3.) Money and items are very plentiful in Reborn, don't be afraid to use them in a pinch. Revives can be found while mining and X items can be found littered across the map at every turn.

4.) The gym battles in Reborn are intended to be very difficult, more often than not you will have to attempt a gym more than once. Even if it's to see the opponents order and then reorder your own mons, don't expect to win the battle the first time.

Gotta start using my money, I am way too stingy with it, and even when I do buy a potion or something I am stingy with them too haha. Really gotta stop doing that. 

4 hours ago, Carnage said:

Hmm

-Abuse wonder trade putting in whatever garbage pkmn you dont need till you get better pkmn 

-Let ya pkmn hold onto beneficial items

-perhaps train some more pokemon to gain more type advantage

-Over train pokemon so they evolve then use common candys to bring them down to a level where they will obey you

-click on every rock you see there's some really rare hidden items in the map

Haha must say I have had to abuse that wonder trade 1 or 2 times when I was in a pinch. And yes that level cap is rough, had to pop into the candy store once to down level my gengar so hed listen to me again so I could beat Florina. Man Florina is a total pain in the ass.

3 hours ago, wcv said:

Specifically for the right after the Shelly battle, go back under the Grand Staircase and use Rock Smash to explore the area some more until you get the Mining Kit. I really can't overstate just how important getting that item is. It makes your life much, much less difficult. Otherwise, as others have said have a diverse team and be prepared to swap out Pokemon as better ones become available or they are at a disadvantage in new areas. If you don't want to look up key battles be prepared to lose the first time and come back. Use the first battle to scout out as many Pokemon as possible to learn moves and items.

This helped me so much! I had my mining kit already but didn't quite understand how to mine and what goodies could come from it. Was able to snag a bunch of max revives and a thunder and leaf stone which will be of great use for my team. Thank you so much for this!

2 hours ago, Candy said:

I'd say use the fields to your advantage! Read what moves are boosted and use them~

I've been slowly getting the hang of this, but I really should be doing some more research on this because it makes a world of difference in those difficult battles.

The biggest tip I can give is:

- Talk to everyone, check everything. There are usefully items littered everywhere. And talking to everyone helps unlock side-quests that will net you Pokémon and items.

I'm actually going to go against what some folks are saying here and say: stay away from Wondertrade, at least in the early game. Half the fun of Reborn is the challenge, and most of that challenge comes from the fact that you have a very small pool of Pokémon available to you early on. Utilizing these less-than-helpful-seeming Pokémon to their fullest is some of the most fun I had early on. If you Wondertrade these early Pokémon off in Wondertrade, you stand to get someone's breedject of a much stronger Pokémon that could potentially make the early game too easy!

Hope this helps a bit! 

6 hours ago, Rydork said:

This helped me so much! I had my mining kit already but didn't quite understand how to mine and what goodies could come from it. Was able to snag a bunch of max revives and a thunder and leaf stone which will be of great use for my team. Thank you so much for this!

Save the shards too. They are probably more important long-term.

The only tip i have that hasn't already been suggested is to get 5 Pokemon with the ability pickup, best spot for this is outside of Corey's gym with the meowths, and whenever youre training 1 Pokemon at a time on wilds, just break out your pickup team to sit in the background and get useful things.

3 hours ago, Stevied97 said:

The only tip i have that hasn't already been suggested is to get 5 Pokemon with the ability pickup, best spot for this is outside of Corey's gym with the meowths, and whenever youre training 1 Pokemon at a time on wilds, just break out your pickup team to sit in the background and get useful things.

Oh cool, I didn't even know this was a thing. What kind of things do they pick up?

Definitely remember that Grand Hall grinding is a thing. Before a certain Psychic gym, I was able to get 8 pokemon up about 5-10 levels in under an hour.

That said, have a good number of pokemon on deck. From the third gym onward I had a full team of 6 trained pokemon at all times, and currently have a total of 10 to cycle in and out as needed. Doesn't take too long to do that either.

Lastly, before you get an exp. share, just make sure the mons you're using have a good nature. Breeding is pretty time consuming early on since it's a nightmare to train up freshly hatched level 1 pokemon early game, and its far less time consuming to just soft reset for a good nature.

Or maybe I'm wrong and am only at the 7th gym badge, who knows?

Edited by thechimchan

4 hours ago, thechimchan said:

Lastly, before you get an exp. share, just make sure the mons you're using have a good nature. Breeding is pretty time consuming early on since it's a nightmare to train up freshly hatched level 1 pokemon early game, and its far less time consuming to just soft reset for a good nature.

Or you can just reset nature in 7th street. If you want to breeds, make sure you have pokemon with Flame Body or Magma Armor so you won't have to step on every ground in Reborn.