Favourite generation graphics?

Favourite graphics?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. ^

• Gen 1 (Red/Blue/Green/Yellow, GB Sprites) / Gen 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal, GB Colour Sprites)
    • Gen 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen/most fan games, GBA Sprites)
    • Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Heartgold/Soulsilver, DS Sprites) / Gen 5 (Black/White/Black 2/White 2/(Conquest), DS pseudo-3D overworld & animated sprites)
    • Ranger SoA/GS Sprite style
    • PMD Rescue Team/Explorers DS Sprite style
    • 3D: Gen 7 (Sun/Moon/UltraSun/UltraMoon, 3DS models), Colosseum, PokePark, PSMD, Pokken, GO
    • Gen 6 (X/Y/OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire, 3DS chibi-models)

^ Topic title. I'm trying to gauge which sprite style pokemon's audience prefers/if it really is a case of "new is better" or whatever and if y'all love 3d animated models more than the og sprites. A lot of fan games are made in the gen 3-art style, presumably because its the easiest to make? That's a discussion in and of itself but this is what I'm curious about rn

(lemme know if I missed anything in the poll)

• Administrators

the Gen 3 style graphics are likely popular with fangames just cuz that's what's natively included with Pokemon Essentials

I tend to appreciate the newest game's improved graphics a lot because the full 3d models of each Pokemon open doors for them to do a lot more with them. But more importantly, when I was a wee tyke and Pokemon Red and Blue was the hottest new thing, I really wanted some kind of fully immersive 3d Pokemon game. That sort of thing was impossibly far off from the 4-bit era of red and blue where colours didnt even exist yet, but now we're always getting closer and closer and that makes me pretty happy.

As far as more traditional graphics go, I felt that PMD2 was pretty crisp.

One thing I'm surprised by is that gen 4 is leading right now because I pretty distinctly dislike their graphical style. the pseudo-3d thing just makes everything look rough, the colours are bland, and almost everything looks like jelly or some kind of rounded down toy model set. These are very impression-based opinions... I'm sure that's far from actually the case, but that's the feeling I've always had of it. 

For fangames in particular it's awkward too because the changing 3d perspective makes it difficult to properly/cleanly rip graphics from it... 1x is great and all but at the point that you have to clean everything up like that, just make a custom 1x tileset imo. 

Gen 4 overworld sprites, Gen 5 Pokemon sprites and Gen 7 battle animations. 

Based on what we're getting on Pokemon Let's Go, the graphisms of Pokemon are in for a brighter future I suppose. We're entering the era of HD and I couldn't be more happier.

correct me if im wrong, but I thought gen Vs overworld graphics were basically gen IVs but better. ive rather recently replayed both of them, and gen V really felt like the more polished version of gen IV graphics-wise.

as for my favorites, gen VII has done a great job with graphics, really. of course it was to be expected because it was the most recent installment, but none of the other games are able to hold their own against the sheer excellence of gen VII graphics. that being said, ive always had a soft spot for pmd and ranger graphics (especially the latter is really underrated imo), and for gen V for having the last 2D graphics of core series and executing it really well.

Guest Relinquished

Gen 4 and Gen 2, in that order!

Although, Gen 1 should be separate from Gen 2, even though the latter, was a mere upgrade from 1.

12 hours ago, Maqqy said:

Gen 4 overworld sprites, Gen 5 Pokemon sprites and Gen 7 battle animations. 

Based on what we're getting on Pokemon Let's Go, the graphisms of Pokemon are in for a brighter future I suppose. We're entering the era of HD and I couldn't be more happier.

Agree so hard with the gen 7 animations bit, outside of battle animations gen 4 had the best graphics in my opinion.  If we were talking best generation altogether then 4th gen is easily the best as far as I'm concerned. 

On 6/12/2018 at 7:08 AM, Amethyst said:

the Gen 3 style graphics are likely popular with fangames just cuz that's what's natively included with Pokemon Essentials

I tend to appreciate the newest game's improved graphics a lot because the full 3d models of each Pokemon open doors for them to do a lot more with them. But more importantly, when I was a wee tyke and Pokemon Red and Blue was the hottest new thing, I really wanted some kind of fully immersive 3d Pokemon game. That sort of thing was impossibly far off from the 4-bit era of red and blue where colours didnt even exist yet, but now we're always getting closer and closer and that makes me pretty happy.

As far as more traditional graphics go, I felt that PMD2 was pretty crisp.

One thing I'm surprised by is that gen 4 is leading right now because I pretty distinctly dislike their graphical style. the pseudo-3d thing just makes everything look rough, the colours are bland, and almost everything looks like jelly or some kind of rounded down toy model set. These are very impression-based opinions... I'm sure that's far from actually the case, but that's the feeling I've always had of it. 

For fangames in particular it's awkward too because the changing 3d perspective makes it difficult to properly/cleanly rip graphics from it... 1x is great and all but at the point that you have to clean everything up like that, just make a custom 1x tileset imo. 

Gen 4 Style Reborn Who Agrees To me

• 1 month later...

I actually really like the human models for gen 7.  Gen 6 looks terrible now because of it lol. Plus they can convey more emotion than sprites.

For pokemon sprite animations I like gen 5 the most. For attack animations gen 7 by far. However gen 4's sprites had the "cleanest" sprites though I liked the shading on gen 3's sprites more.