Favourite thing(s) about Pokemon Reborn?

poll titles are lame  

75 members have voted

1. 1. literally the topic name

• Graphics?
    • Overall difficulty?
    • Scarcity of valuable items, OP pokemon, and viable grinding?
    • Challenging battle AI?
    • Music?
    • Its originality and uniqueness in stark contrast to the standard pokemon formula?
    • Depth, detail, thought and feeling put into making it?
    • World and setting design?
    • Environment puzzles?
    • Plot/narrative writing?
    • Characters?
    • The community its brought together?
    • The creativity it has spawned in other games: Rejuvenation, Desolation, Spork, Conspiracy, Aegis, Clockwork, Hollow, Se7en, Symphonic Horizon, Xenogene ?
    • Original Field Effects?

This has got to be a long time coming.

What do you like most about Reborn? The graphics, sprite and art style? The difficulty? scarcity of items, level curves, the creativity and challenging battle AI? Its addition of original field effects? The music selection, and how appropriate it is for its place in the game? The general starkly contrasting vibe and atmosphere from the stereotypical idea of a pokemon game? The level of thought, detail and feeling put into making it overall? The world and setting? Its environmental puzzles? The plot/narrative writing? The characters? This community that its brought together? The innovation and divergence that its inspired in other fan game projects?

All of the above? basically a PR appreciation thread ✌️

I really half ass'd this poll. Any element of the game I'm forgetting, shoot ^-^

Pretty much all of the above bar a few things.

Reborn's writing is incredible, its difficulty is balanced and satisfying despite the occasional AI hiccup, GlitchxCity's music is awesome and it's rare to see so much thought and depth put into a fangame's narrative, characters and setting.

On the other hand, graphics are rather unimportant to me (it's an essentials game and looks like one anyway), although I prefer Reborn's general appearance over other games'. Likewise, I enjoy some puzzles (Shelly's, Radomus', Route 2... yes Route 2) but I'm usually not a huge puzzle fan.

It took ma a while to finally try Reborn. I've always been skeptical of fan games generally. It took me watching Shofu play the game some years ago to finally get me interested. So glad I took the plunge and tried Reborn as my first ever fan game back in 2016.

There is just so much to love about Reborn. The music, the environments, the difficulty, the story, and the characters! One thing that hooked me early on was the scarcity of Pokémon and having to utilize Pokémon I wouldn't normally use in order to progress. I love this aspect of the game and is one of the reasons I enjoy Nuzlockes. I also really enjoy the inclusion of all the Event Pokémon. As I've stated in a previous thread, I love Event Pokémon because it helps me feel like that Pokémon might have a bit of a backstory or personality. 

The story and characters are simply fantastic. It's a long game with so much to love and secrets to find. It's funny also how certain characters have clicked with me. I've never usually enjoyed the type of character archetype that Cain is (take that however you will I suppose). But through this game, I have found that Cain is easily my favorite character. Not only that, he's now made it so that I find myself enjoying his character archetype in other genres now. The villains and rivals are well-written and are both easy and fun to hate. 

Also, I've always found the game visually appealing. The overworld and dungeons are so unique and engaging. I love finding the secret areas! 

Finally, I have fallen in love with this community. All of you are such friendly, courteous, and helpful folks and I am proud to be among you all. From the content you all create, to the conversations about other games and Reborn alike, it's always entertaining to come to the forums and read around!

All in all, I can say that I love Reborn. I can't wait to see it through until it's conclusion! This game is something special! 

Well, everything in that poll, it's hard for me choose. I don't wanna write an essay describing every single choice, simply what I really like is the very long storyline, with alternative paths, so finally a game where ur choices matters, and the well defined characters, everyone here has his own story, some of them with many shades, that we would like to clear, so I get more and more involved in the game, and hours pass like minutes.

There is another thing I appreciate, the use of the militay therms. I don't play pokemon, I'm also fan of strategy war games, and the use of: choke points, defensive lines etc. really enjoyed me.

I like how Reborn makes you make tactical team decisions 

Like Solarius' Garchomp and El's Ditarceus 

Bosses where normally it seems impossible, but are possible is you play things right.

In Emerald you can more or less solo with Swampert with maybe a flying type for grass types.

In Reborn everything is calculated for me.

I like having to make a good strategy for all the gyms and other boss fights.

Although this could fall under the category of Graphics, I do feel the work that Ame has put into the shiny sprites she modified deserves it's own vote. It makes searching for shiny Pokemon that much more worth it knowing the end result will actually be visually appealing and not just a recolored sprite that can be found in all the core games.

It's hard choice between Graphics and World and Setting Design. At first I enjoy all the destruction that happens in Reborn. Barging in all houses and alleys to find what crimes are going on and stealing things.

Now that Reborn is 'reborned' I'm strangely thankful to all parks that have remake and start planting things and watering with my lovely Wailmer Pail. Virtual gardening is my hobby now.

I know I'm weird. I wish I have garden in my house...

Mainly the battles and puzzles. One of my favorite things is in fact the field effects: they alone change the way one can enjoy Pokemon and Pokemon battles. That combined with the scarcity of OP/ super strong mons and moves makes battles have much more depth compared to spamming your strongest move(s). Fields also allow unviable or low-tier (in terms of competitive play anyway) mons to become extremely good or dangerous.

I remember the first time i played at reborn , musics appeared so nice to me. It was the first time i was playing a pokemon fan game and when i heard this N remix battle against Victoria and Cain... 

image.jpeg.997a9392009f84dea848a0b887f51c48.jpeg

I actually checked everything. Ultimately, everything what Reborn offers to Pokemon. Basically Reborn gave me the Pokemon game of my dreams. I think what I like most about it is the vast amount of effort put into innovation. Field effects, Custom shiny sprites, it’s sense of realism, the hard but fun difficulty, AI, animations, all of it was done 100% beautifully. It really is my favorite fan game, possibly of all time. Quite sad that a majority of people fail to appreciate those qualities because Reborn is overshadowed by it’s “edginess” or so they say. Hope they come to the light soon.

What I like about Reborn is that it's not afraid to explore a bit into Neurodiversity, LGBT identities and sexualities, darker elements (such as death, toxic manipulation,etc) and incorporating it into a rich storyline. Before I started playing Reborn around 2014/2015, I had never even heard of people identifying as non-binary or as pan. Reborn opened my eyes to a lot of things I was previously unaware of and had made me challenge the way I thought about numerous topics. The way the Reborn story is plays with the player's emotions like a fiddle. An example being the contrast between Amaria's behaviour at the start of the game and her behaviour in later episodes. 

I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the game as it's created. 🙂

Stuff I like:

- A lot of quality-of-life improvements: This is easily my favorite aspect of Pokemon Reborn. I love how easy and accessible it is for the player to customize their Pokemons Nature and Abilities, and that you can actually see their individual IVs. Also, while HMs are still necessary for the overworld puzzles, they work just like TMs, making our life much easier by not having to carry a HM slave everywhere with us.

- The Field Effects: they really set the game apart, and can be as fun as obnoxious (in a good way). It's always interesting to learn how a new field effect can affect your battling strategies.

- The increased difficulty: I hate how the main Pokemon games are always holding your hand, and seem afraid to give the player a genuine challenge. Reborn has none of that, with a level cap that stops you from getting over-leveled; full six-on-six battles; and trainers with teams built to take advantage of the field effect in which they are fought.

- The characters: while there are some I really don't like (namely Terra, Titania, Amaria, Heather and Lin), I still like a lot of the characters, and it's always fun to see them return after a brief absence in the main story.

- The music: GlitchxCity's remixes are awesome and really give the game its own feel.

Stuff I don't like:

- The overall story and pacing: easily the biggest detriment to my enjoyment of the game. The story can get unnecessarily busy with the insane amount of characters and subplots. That, coupled with the one-year-wait between episodes, can make Pokemon Reborn kind of hard to follow. 

- Environment puzzles: I appreciate the effort put into them, but I just don't care much for most of them. Most of them are annoying and dull to get through (although, granted, that's precisely the point).

- The tone: Pokemon and heavy themes really don't mix well. Whenever the game dabbles into a heavy theme like murder, sexuality or suicide, it always comes to my mind the image of Shadow the hedgehog holding a machine gun from that silly solo game.

Mixed feelings:

- The atmosphere: during the beginning of the game, the whole atmosphere can get too dark and oppressing to a point where it doesn't really feel like a Pokemon game, which initially put me off from playing further in my first playthrough. With that said, I like how it gradually evolves into a more traditional Pokemon atmosphere when you leave Reborn City with the Orphanage kids, and after you return to Reborn and the city has been rebuilt, the game finally starts feeling like a proper Pokemon game (with the occasional downer moment).

Uh, other?

My favorite thing are the Pokemon events. Little tasks or other things you have to do to get Pokemon. It makes each of them feel far more special than just throwing a Pokeball at the first stupid thing you see to get it out of the way. One of the problems I have with the main games is that despite each Pokemon supposedly being its own thing with a personality and all that, none of it every comes across and they all just end up being more or less identical. With Reborn I actually give a damn about the Pokemon simply because I actually remember how I got them beyond "a wild x appeared. WCV threw a quick ball. X was caught."

Definitely the field effects. Ever since I've first experienced them, I wanted a way to experience something like that in the main games, such as an experienced hacker or whatever somehow implementing them into the game. I'm not sure if it's possible, but that would be amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

I like all the poll topics to be honest - but if I had to pick one off the list it would be the game difficulty that really brings together most of the other choices.

The scarcity of items, and money really makes it a point to keep track of your items, because it is easy to overspend on pokeballs, items, medicine, etc., making the money back, is more difficult.

The battle AI annoys me from time to time, but it really makes me think long term - sort of reminds me why I love the Fire Emblem series - namely coming up with new strategies and tactics to win each battle, while also keeping an eye on available resources, and viability of characters.

The field effects are fun and challenging because, in my case at least, I have little knowledge of what some do until I either find one of the terrain notes or hear the ambiguous description. So far I only have like somewhere between 3-5 of the field notes collected, and 5 badges under my belt.

I could rant on and on but I'll end here. 

Well I checked like seven options on the poll haha

How every mon is obtainable in the same game, the difficulty of the setting, the puzzles and the advanced AI challenge. Sidequests are always welcome as it is the plot, with its twists and its unique and likable characters.

I came to Reborn for the field effects, and years later I can say I'm still in love with them and their concept and usefulness.