The extremely delicate subject of Romance Options in Pokemon Reborn

ShadeStrider

We don't have to worry about this until after the Elite Four.

Still, I'd suggest the simplest of gameplay mechanics, common to any dating simulator - Dialogue options in order to increase your reputation with the romanceable character.

Even then, there are certain characters that I feel that the player being able to romance would just feel... wrong, somehow. I'm not mentioning names, even though some go without saying. Like Shelly. Or Heather.

Of course, this is all assuming that their will be Romance in the postgame. And, Let's be honest, I really don't mind if there isn't. Maybe it's for the best. You know, you can still draw your fanart.

"I don't like Sand. It's Coarse, rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere." 

• Haha 1

let's be honest everybody like cain~o(* ̄▽ ̄*)o i mean who does't like his fruitiness and innuendos besides after looking at Ame's tumblr posts about yandere cain makes me (\\ ´艸`\\ )

Also if they decided to add the dating option in episode 19 its gonna take ALOT of time like writing the dialog or making an ending for each route etc etc...but i also really hope tho but if they make some character unromanceable like Aya and Hardy(obviously) Heather,Shelly,Noel,Anna (they are too young and im not pedo)

shade(he's definitely not human)

Titania(i don't know if she is even interested in dating after Amaria) Amaria(maybe you might have a chance if she doesn't commit seppuku in the reshiram route after Titania dump her and you ignore the fact that she try to drown you)

Terra(do i need to explain? besides she probably gone forever unless Ame decide to bring her back)

so yeah maybe without does character romanceable it might cut the developers some time to make ep19 because im a huge shipper and seeing people get all mushy-mushy makes me all (o′┏▽┓`o) 

4 minutes ago, Angelkitsune said:

Titania(i don't know if she is even interested in dating after Amaria) Amaria(maybe you might have a chance if she doesn't commit seppuku in the reshiram route after Titania dump her and you ignore the fact that she try to drown you)

Exactly what I was thinking. It feels... wrong... to have a romance with Titania after what we witnessed.

• Like 1

Couple things

1. Elite 8 is Rejuvenation.

Sorry had to point that out

2. There is so much that would need to be factored in, from who is actually available and who they are attracted to, to how you would be able to actually woo them. 

And there's the problem where while you can pick your avatar regardless of gender the game still registers your character's gender as the sprite you picked.

So even though I have my gender as male, since I'm playing as Decible I'm still going to get things like Cain saying "No wonder you're both so cute." when I get to that part.

That'll probably be fixed later on, but for now that's how things are.

• Like 1

Just now, Cataline said:

Isn't Cain like, 15?

I....actually don't know how old all the reborn cast are i just assume Cain is older than 16 because of all the sex joke he made who knows maybe the main character is 16 or something ( ̄(工) ̄)

Since I follow Ame's tumblr too, can confirm. I'm assuming it's mainly cause the real Cain talked like that so even if a lil odd for a kid it'd be weird to cut that out. I mean, it's sorta believable haha (god I feel old now)

Another romance question... guys please

Saphira x Sigmund

" i'm your f**** worst nightmare Sigmund , watch where you sleep " 

What other proof do you need ? It's pure love right ? 

Spoiler

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "love lol"

• Like 1

Guest Relinquished

I don't like people criticizing romance options. We anime fans, are open-minded and pro-liberty; especially in (fan)art. Or at least, i hope so...

My favorite anime couple, had always been Wendy x Mest/Doranbalt from Fairy Tail.

That being said, i would like Luna, Shelly, Charlotte to be romance-able, in that order of preference. But Elite 8? Wasn't that a thing for Rejuvenation? I though Reborn had the good old Elite 4 pattern?

1 hour ago, uberle said:

Couple things

1. Elite 8 is Rejuvenation.

Sorry had to point that out

2. There is so much that would need to be factored in, from who is actually available and who they are attracted to, to how you would be able to actually woo them. 

And there's the problem where while you can pick your avatar regardless of gender the game still registers your character's gender as the sprite you picked.

So even though I have my gender as male, since I'm playing as Decible I'm still going to get things like Cain saying "No wonder you're both so cute." when I get to that part.

That'll probably be fixed later on, but for now that's how things are.

Yeah, I got Rejuvenation and Reborn Mixed up.

And I hope that the game registering gender as the Sprite we picked rather than the Gender we picked gets fixed. I actually like Decibel's sprite, but I'd like to identify as a Male.

There would probably be a lot of work involved in making characters romanceable. But I'm not the one designing the game. If Ame wants to do it, then I have no problem with it. Otherwise, someone can Mod it.

Or, You know... You can go play Fire Emblem.

I still can't believe that I, of all the many users of this site, made this thread.

I guess the saying that if it has boobs, somebody will want to...errr...intercourse with it. Given to the fact that nobody who should listen to me does, I'll just keep this brief: you can't expect something forced into a game by fan demands to be good. It'd probably ruin the entire game experience rather than actually give a feeling of satisfaction. That's just my 2 cents on the matter. Carry on with your fantasies there but...

32 minutes ago, ShadeStrider said:

Even then, there are certain characters that I feel that the player being able to romance would just feel... wrong, somehow. I'm not mentioning names, even though some go without saying. Like Shelly. Or Heather.

If that's the conclusion you jump to, you have much to learn still. Let me just make romance relations basic 101 lowdown. First, your options...and if any of you throw a lbq...whatever the acronym joke in there I will cut you down.

1. Guy likes girl, girl likes guy

2. Guy likes girl, girl doesn't like guy

3. Guy doesn't like girl, girl likes guy

4. Guy doesn't like girl, girl doesn't like guy

The first three are quite common in media, but the human mind always jumps to the conclusion romance is only the first option. Though the important thing here is that there's always a BUT explaining the situation. Something like "Guy likes girl, girl likes guy" BUT guy has girlfriend. So why is this relevant? Ever hear the term "hots for the teacher" before? Anyways, this is just a basic outline of something that can go deeper, but it's elementary knowledge that feeling aren't always mutual and we see it in Reborn with Amaria and Titania.

And now we get to go all the way back to the ever so lovable cardboard cutout we call a protagonist. You're implying a silent protagonist can even portray feelings of romance, let alone emotions at all. Yeah, yeah Persona did it but it's not really that strong or well executed even. Basically how Reborn's cast goes is that they are all in one big circle, but are divided up into smaller circles with some characters linked to multiple. The protag is in the smack dab middle but there's a giant hole surrounding him in which he doesn't really have links with anybody. The rivals are the only ones who are kind of close, but that's early on which later most people just kind of treat you like a dependable guy but nothing more than that. Look at Fern and Victoria post Agate.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zarc said:

Saphira x Sigmund

Reveal hidden contents

This... doesn't make any sense at all. Sigmund used electroshock therapy on Saphira and her sisters. How does one recover from that? 

Also, what's wrong with the MC just having everyone as friends? Maybe No Romance in the postgame is for the best. Better than getting some really bad dialogue. And for some characters, having a love interest that's just an empty shell of a person might not be that good an option.

Just now, ShadeStrider said:
2 hours ago, Zarc said:

Saphira x Sigmund

Reveal hidden contents

This... doesn't make any sense at all. Sigmund used electroshock therapy on Saphira and her sisters. How does one recover from that? 

I think that was just a jab at how, in fandom, people like to ship two characters merely because they had a minor meaningless interaction, or because "they hate each other! THAT MEANS THEY MUST BE IN LOVE"

21 minutes ago, iDunno said:

I think that was just a jab at how, in fandom, people like to ship two characters merely because they had a minor meaningless interaction, or because "they hate each other! THAT MEANS THEY MUST BE IN LOVE"

Should've read the hidden contents first...

Disagree strongly with Shade not being romance-able. Let him take the player on a hot date in the void.

...Okay, in all seriousness. Speaking for myself, the only characters I have any form of attraction to whatsoever I can't see sensibly romancing the player character. It's not realistic, and despite this being a game full of magical elemental monsters, I do like some degree of realism. This is of course not accounting for other characters who have other reasons why they really shouldn't be. (Eg. being underage.)

Also not a huge fan of forced romance to be honest, even if realistic, so unless I can avoid it, I don't really want to see it.

Now, if you'll let me romance the ringmaster or that one move tutor lady on 7th Street, on the other hand...

(...Look, I didn't say the post would stay serious.)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Lost Lore said:

Also not a huge fan of forced romance to be honest, even if realistic, so unless I can avoid it, I don't really want to see it.

I agree. Star Wars Episode 2, Attack of the Clones. The Forced Romance in that movie would have been the worst thing in Star Wars Lore if J. J. Abrams didn't create Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I would prefer to let the romance option to the modders. There already are some characters bound with each other by love and compared to the player, many of them are a bit too young for this, in my opinion. Nevertheless, I liked when Europa asked us if Taka was our boyfriend in the Reshiram Route. But even if it was the case, it would have not lasted that long. Indeed, I’ve noticed that most of romance stories in Reborn go wrong. I’ll end up thinking that remaining celibate is better to survive in this game.

Edited by Q-Jei

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, arcticGalaxies said:

I dont know about ages, but i wouldnt mind dating aya, shes cute~

and by legal do you mean 18 or 21? different countries have different legal ages

Aya and Hardy have kinda already got a thing going so they wouldn't be options. Here's people that would most likely be excluded from the dating thing:

• Hardy and Aya
  • I think Ciel, Terra and Samson are either FWB or in an open relationship so probs wouldn't count.
  • Cain
  • The orphanage kids, Shelly and Heather
  • Serra
  • Radomus
  • Shade
  • Sirius
  • Solaris
  • Lin
  • I think Amaria and Titania would be path dependent. But I wouldn't feel right in having that option
  • Bennett (Too obsessed with Luna)
  • Unsure about Luna's age so putting her on here to be safe
  • Sigmund
  • El

So that leaves us with:

• Taka
  • Zero
  • Julia
  • Florinia
  • Victoria
  • Adrienn
  • Arc