[Mafia Won] Back to the Basic II: Hard Boiled

NickCrash

Back to the Basics II: Hard Boiled 

Hello there, my name is Nick, and this is my prison.
This is a game with a much simpler setup than those you're used to. It's part of the training games we'll be hosting, which focus on improving the interactions among the players. The fancy roles will be kept to a minimum, and the night interaction will not be as heavy as usual. You'll find that the mechanics are simpler, and thus you'll be talking a lot more during the day to find out more about each other. Can you discern friend from foe? Can you tell truth from lies? There's only one way to find out.

You can pay me. Or rather, we can play a little game.

Wait a minute, what exactly is mafia? [Overview]

Mafia, my dear child, started as a social experiment, produced first by psychologists to observe speech patterns and discern methods of manipulation via speech and general demeanor. Here, however it's a roleplaying game of deduction, co-operation, logic and analysis, emotion and fallacies. You will be divided into two main opposing factions: the uninformed majority, commonly known as "Town", and the informed minority, also known as "Mafia" or "Scum". The latter share a private chat in which they discuss about their night actions, the way to trick town, and of course whom to kill during the night. Usually a Third Party is also part of the equation, but here, for the sake of learning, we've decided to exclude it. Typically they have their own agendas and win-conditions, but that won't be a problem here.

At the beginning of the game, every participant will receive a DM or PM with their role and its description. In our game, roles have specific alignments.

There are two main phases in the game.

(1) The Day Phase
Typically it lasts 48 hours and during that time players have the opportunity to discuss about several things. These include the events that have transpired the previous night(s), the behavior of other players, and the goals and flow of the game. The ultimate goal of the day phase is for each faction to identify and eliminate members of the opposing one. Town players will try to hunt for scum, while mafia players will simply try to blend in and remove all suspicion. Before the day ends, people are expected to case a vote on whom they wish to lynch, and the player with most votes will be eliminated.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 there's an egg here
(2) The Night Phase
Typically it lasts 24 hours and during that time players are not allowed to post in the thread. Those who have night actions and special abilities related to their role, are supposed to send them to me via DMs or PMs. The mafia are allowed to discuss in their private chat and submit their factional night kill. 

The game continues until one of the factions meets the criteria for their win-condition.

What about this game? [Narrative]

This is not a game for your, but rather for my pleasure. I've been chief warden of this prison for far too long, and the job has become... boring. Drug lords, petty thieves, rapists and murderers have come to my... care, and I've been keeping them here ever since, to keep, to feed, and when the time comes, to kill watch them perish. Recently I received an offer from a group of investors to provide some... entertainment. Money was never a big issue, but it doesn't hurt to make some more. Little Jannet has to go to college one day, and I always wanted that yacht. Nobody is going to find out, anyway.

So, these fine gentlemen have proposed I give some of you the opportunity for a pardon. I announced that to the "lifer's wing" yesterday and they were excited with the news. Of course, that's their only chance of ever making it outside, so that was to be expected. Today, I'm here with the petty thieves and muggers. Normally, most of you would be set free in the next year or two, some even earlier. Well, if you make it, you'll have an adventure to tell your friends about.

In other words, it's either you or them. Good news is, you don't have a choice. Bad news is, if you don't play well enough, I might get bored and spice things up myself. 
We also tried a thoughts-and-prayers thing on facebook, but everyone was in favor of just killing you all. Imagine that. I think you should thank me for the opportunity.

So, it's a WIN-WIN scenario for all of you, right? Hahahahaha

Let me tell you which teams you'll be in [Factions]

NARCOS
Unfortunately, only the drug cartel bosses were interested in my offer. I don't really mind. Those 3 will prove to be quite the entertainment. They are supposed to set their differences aside and work together during the day and night to trick you all into believing they are small-time criminals like the rest. I know every one of you claims to be wrongly imprisoned and claims to be innocent, but those big boys are the real deal. 

This is the informed minority [Mafia]. They know each other's identity and have access to a private chat during the night only.
Their goal is to eliminate everyone else [Town]

LOSERS
That's you, thieves and beggars. You are the uninformed majority, and it serves you right. I'll be transfering you from multiple wings into the new one, and add the bad boys in there. Your goal is to eliminate all threats to [Town=Losers] and prove your worth. You don't have a private chat. You don't have an idea on who might be on your side. You still have your brains, so use them to my best interest. Try to find all wolves that hide among you, and try not to kill yourselves. This should be fun.

I'm sure by now you know I am a benevolent keeper, but some of your expendable asses happen to be quite good at what you do. 

I'll allow it. Might prove to be good entertainment, and possibly extra cash [Roles]

Mafia
3 members. None of them have any special abilities. Pity.
They discuss during the night and may kill one person. 
The access to the private chat is limited only during the night.

Town
10 members.

7 are vanilla, meaning they don't have any night actions. Don't worry, you still got your ability to read between the lines, haha when you're not snorting coke lines that is.

1 Hider: This person is a coward. He used to be a lockpicker, but all he does is enter the room. He's so afraid, he hides behind others during the night. If he hides behind mafia or the vigilante, they die. If they hide behind someone and their cell is attacked by mafia, he dies. However, if mafia decide to visit him and he's hiding in another inmate's cell, he survives the attack and mafia lose their chance to kill someone during that night. 

1 Tracker/Vigilante: I have decided to give one of you special equipment for this mission. This person decides on N1 which one they will be; Tracker or Vigilante. 
If they choose to become a Tracker, then from N1 onwards they can choose to visit one person during the night and find out if they have visited anyone. 
If they choose to become a Vigilante, then from N1 onwards they can choose a person to attack every night. That person will die, unless it's the hider who has left their cell for that night. 

1 Detective/Psychologist: Unfortunately, I couldn't bring both. So, it will be decided what this person will be. I'm not that kind to let everyone decide on their role, so this one will be decided by their peers. On D1, all inmates are encouraged to vote which role to include in the game. It's only fair that you know what the options are.
If you choose Detective, then every night, the Detective can investigate a person and see if that person has killed anyone the previous nights or the night of the investigation. In other words, they can find out if the person they check is an established killer. This includes the night of the investigation.
If you choose Psychologist then every night, the Psychologist can investigate a person and see if they have the potential to kill. In other words, if they are mafia or the vigilante, and have yet to kill anyone. If the investigated person has already killed someone, including the night of the investigation, then they will lie and your result will be negative. 

Mechanics & Engineers

> The game starts on D1. 
> On D1 you will vote whether you want to have a Detective or a Psychologist.
> The mafia faction kill and the vigilante kill (if any) have equal priority. This means both actions go through.
> A person's role and alignment are revealed upon death. 
> If you wish to lynch anyone on D1, you'll need the absolute majority, which is 7 votes.
> From D1 on, the most voted person will be lynched. 

Rules

1. The Reborn Community Rules apply here. Double posting is allowed.

2. All Player Discussion must be kept in the thread. The mafia private chat can also be utilized. Any other form of communication outside of those will result in a modkill and me finding out where you live.

3. Day Phase lasts for 48 hours. Players must make at least 3 posts. Failure to fulfill the post requirements will result in a warning. If inactivity persists, you'll get replaced or modkilled. I might have someone stalk you.

4. Voting for elimination is done in this format [Eliminate] Player A or similar formats. It has to be in bold, and not in a spoiler. Changing of votes may be done in this format [Unvote] Player A, [Eliminate] Player B. In a case of tie, a player will be lynched randomly. You may vote for a [NO LYNCH]

5. Night Phase lasts for 24 hours. During that time you are not allowed to post in the thread. Violation of this rule results in a warning. If done twice, you get modkilled. You may send me your night actions if you have any. If you wish to abstain, you might as well inform me. 

6. Sharing of Role PMs/DMs in any form is not allowed. If caught, you get modkilled.

7. If you are eliminated in any way, you may leave a final post. If you post includes vital information such as alignment or night actions, it will be deleted. Even if the information is wrong, it will still be deleted.

8. Actions, Day or Night, will be sent to me via Discord.

9. Editing of posts is discouraged. Minor corrections are fine, but major ones better be added in a 2nd or multiple posts. Quote or Highlight your previous posts to show the additions/corrections/removals or other forms of edit.

10. Have fun. If you've read this far, include "Nii" in your comment

There will be 13 slots for this game. Players may also sign up for potential substitutes. We'll also have open positions for jurors.

Now, who wants to transfer to my prison?

PLAYER LIST

01. Paul25 - Vanilla Town [Survived]

02. Alistair --> Cataline - Vanilla Town [D2]

03. Corso --> L'Belle - Vanilla Town [N1]

04. Purplecicada - Vanilla Town [D5]

05. Walpurgis - Vanilla Town [N4]

06. Psychic Sheep - Psychologist [N3]

07. Mazino Divergent - Mafia Goon [D4]

08. Andracass - Hider [N3]

09. Candy --> Sailboat - Vanilla Town [D3]

10. Alaris - Vigilante [N2]

11. Bok Choi - Mafia Goon [N2]

12. Mr. Knightly - Vanilla Town [N1]

13. Zero Passion - Mafia Goon [Survived]

Subs (not Dubs)

01. Cataline

02. L'Belle

03. Sailboat

04. Corso

05. Alistair

Jurors

01. LykosHand

02. Pickle Satan

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAY 1

*Megaphone noises*

Ahem! Ladies and Gentlemen, and people of undiscovered genitalia! This is your Warden speaking.

I have gathered.. bzz.. here today to announce a little event before the actual game begins.

One of your co-inmates is in your mercy. Their abilities will be decided by you.

They can either be a Detective or a Psycho..bzz. What will it be?

You choose for them.

That's who "them" is

FDUlEvi.jpg

You may cast your votes on this format

[VOTE] Detective

or

[VOTE] Psychologist

You caught me in a good mood, so I will not make the lynch mandatory for today.

If you still want to lynch someone, a bear minimum of ...bzz... votes will be needed.

You may cast your votes for lynch in this format

[LYNCH] PERSON X

You may also choose to abstain by writing

[NO LYNCH]

From tomorrow, it won't be absolute majority that's necessary. Most votes gets lyched.

In a case of a tie, you know what happens.

Reminder that you need to post at least 3 times every day.

Is that all clear, dumbos? 

You have 48 hours.

Hey, just one thing on the role we have to decide. According to the opening post, the Psychologist will only identify the people with the ability to kill (3 mafia and 0/1 town) if they haven't already performed a kill. So, best case scenario, the psychologist will be useless from Day 4 on. I say we vote on the Detective instead. Therefore:

[Vote] Detective

And for now:

[No Lynch]