Game mechanics

NIntendo brought an amazing franchise to us that all of us here know and love Pokemon despite that we all have things we like and dislike about the game. Currently we are waiting for gen 8 and have 28 core series games released to date with several spin off games like Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Ranger series, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series and many more Pokemon games that stand out from the core games. My question is what are your likes and dislikes in the franchise whether it be game play mechanics like I liked the SOS battling that was introduced in gen 7 but dislike the fishing mechanic or like the AI all having NO guard pokemon

(I couldn't find an open thread about this despite Necroposting not being a thing in this forum)

Guest Relinquished

My dislikes are nerfs, especially the ones in moves' accuracy (hello Thunder Wave, etc etc etc). Or undoing of powerful abilities (hello Gengar, Talonflame etc etc etc). Generally, i hate the constant changes to status conditions, back and forth, between generations. Especially this, almost made my head explode; can't take it, anymore!

Useful items getting crappy, is something else i detest. Latios orb, Ditto's gen 2 powders, etc.

Basically, post gen 4, i am not a canon game fan any longer, or a buyer of any title/system. I liked fangames more. The one and only thing Reborn makes me sad about, is that by the time we are going to get all and all the good stuff, those are going to be nerfed, ergo we will be unable to savor their true menacing power.

12 minutes ago, GS BALL said:

My dislikes are nerfs, especially the ones in moves' accuracy (hello Thunder Wave, etc etc etc). Or undoing of powerful abilities (hello Gengar, Talonflame etc etc etc). Generally, i hate the constant changes to status conditions, back and forth, between generations. Especially this, almost made my head explode; can't take it, anymore!

Useful items getting crappy, is something else i detest. Latios orb, Ditto's gen 2 powders, etc.

Basically, post gen 4, i am not a canon game fan any longer, or a buyer of any title/system. I liked fangames more. The one and only thing Reborn makes me sad about, is that by the time we are going to get all and all the good stuff, those are going to be nerfed, ergo we will be unable to savor their true menacing power.

I never really followed the smaller changes to things like Thunder wave as I rarely used them preferring things that put to sleep

I agree on the items part though it gets annoying

I think 6th gen introduced many news about game mechanics, the megas, primals, the pixie type and some moves review.

I liked megas, i think they gave a new breath to the previus metagame, but i can't say the same for the primals, imo the new primal Groudon ability ruined the uber metagame, focus teams mainly around Primal Ground. I really suffered the difference between XY and ORAS.

Pixie type imo was a necessary type in order to nerf dragon types (onestly in BW2 dragons were too op), and to give more utility to steel and poison moves (before the introdiction of pixie those 2 types were usually discared for types who provided a better coverage), but despite this idk i didn't like it so much, i think they could think something better to nerf the dragon type.

Speaking about moves, defog was the best news. Finally something that allows u to remove hazards. That's why 4th and 5th generations were too based on set as much as spikes/tspikes/rocks, then keep a ghost type (mainly Giratina or Arceus) to stop rapid spin. Now with defog finally the game became more strategical, set rocks and spikes or stickywebs, another important news of 6th gen, it's still important but now it's up to player keep them alive using taunters predicting the opponent defogger switch in.

The 7th gen instead ruined everything, imo. As GS BALL said, they did too many nerfs, i personally really hated gengar ability change, that really doesn't make a sense....

As a general rule, gen IV was one of my favorites. However, honey as a mechanic should crawl back to the pit of hell it came from. No, I don't have time to wait six hours for a single encounter!

The underground was sweet though.

12 minutes ago, doombotmecha said:

As a general rule, gen IV was one of my favorites. However, honey as a mechanic should crawl back to the pit of hell it came from. No, I don't have time to wait six hours for a single encounter!

The underground was sweet though.

I preferred headbutt to honey though Honey is nice in safari zone as a sweet scent. I agree with the underground however I still liked the Hoenn secret bases more, I liked the Duel Slot mode in the official games it was a cool function especially with Pal park and being able to catch pokemon not usually found like magby on the early routes. The poketech was well done, wish it would come back, though X/Y thing was pretty cool with poke amie and super training and Omegas search function too bad they couldn't combine the poketech with those.